New to the Forum - New to Carver (and Polk)

Greetings fellow Carver enthusiasts,

Thank you for granting me new member (inbound novice) status.  I look forward to learning as much as I can about my new Carver stereo gear and contributing where I am able.  I have longed been interested in Carver stereo equipment and other top-shelf brands, recently I was able to take advantage of a very fair & decent offer to upgrade my stereo.  And with the approval of my better half too.

Two weekends ago I became a first-time owner of Carver (and Polk Audio) stereo equipment when I purchased the following kit from a work colleague:

• Tuner:              TX-2

• Pre-Amp:        C-1

• Power Amp:    M1.5

• Speakers:       Polk Audio SDA2

• Turntable:       Sanyo TP 636

This kit will replace my 35-year old JC Penney MCS Series system:

• Receiver:        Model 3237

• Speakers:       Model 8322 (Linear Phase Honeycomb Disc Speakers)      

• Turntable:       Model 6203 (semi-automatic belt drive)

At this time the following components will be retained:

• CD Player:     Panasonic PD-M6 (bought new in December-1986)

• Tape Deck:    Kenwood KX-8050 (bought new in ~July-1994 to replace the MCS tape deck)      

The MCS system components will go to my son living in Carbondale, IL.  Kind of a rightful home for it…as this is where I first bought the system back in December-1984.  I was working part-time at JCP when the store had a sale - 50% off – on all stereo equipment.  That and my 15% employee discount was too good to pass on it as at the time the stereo system I had was sadly cobbled together mish-mash of stuff from Radio Shack, Onkyo, and other brands I no longer recall.  My “tape deck” was a mono cassette player into the Radio Shack branded pre-amp.  I was moving off-campus into a house and none of my roommates had a proper stereo.  The MCS system was the answer. 

My music tastes run from hard rock, blues, jam bands, some jazz, classical, some folk, and bluegrass.  Some of my favorites are Deep Purple, Rainbow, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rush, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead, Yes, Jethro Tull, Bach, Haydn, Copeland, Beethoven, Wagner, Shostakovich, Big Twist & the Mellow Fellows, Blue Oyster Cult, Clapton, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Underhill-Rose,…etc., on and on…

I have not yet set-up the new (to me) stereo system as work and other family obligations have cut into my free time to play in workshop or mess around in our “sound” room in the basement.  I will post back when I have spun my first record or CD through the Carver and Polk system.

All the best,

Mike

• Thank You 8

Hello Mike, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

Congratulations on the new gear. Be forewarned, that Carver gear has a tendency to multiply like rabbits at the expense of your bank account, available credit... :D

Please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Wow, I know some folks really love their MCS systems...

But, I think you made a huge jump..., and, well, we're all looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I have a pair of SDA's, and they are super speakers.  Your music list will sound very different, I suspect.

Welcome to Carver Paradise!  You'll soon experience OCCD, and, well, there is no cure!

6a00d8342081b353ef01b8d0f039cc970c-pi

• Thank You 3

Welcome to the site! You got a nice system for your first Carver system! If those components get a refurb, you will be set for life......grin. Congratulations on the first system and enjoy the music!

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the carver site!

i am also a polk fan, I have Sda-1b’s I repaired and modded!

i am currently driving them with the Carverfest 275 tube amp!

there is a lot of information on these pages, enjoy your stay!

barry

Welcome.jpg

Welcome, @Mike-777 - nice way to get into Carver gear!  As nice as what you had was, and your son should be pretty happy to have it, I think you'll find your new system a real step up.  

Nice taste in music!  Enjoy!!

01-welcome.gif.c4e51fe8979a26b2d18905baa0c7110e.gif

Welcome to the Carversite Mike....=D==D= 

Like a few others here, I've enjoyed all my Carver / Polk  setups since 1991....

Current setup...Burning in recently modded  SDA 2b crossovers and giving the neighbors a rest......|-||-||-|

20200217_111408.thumb.jpg.acdc6ded97ffa7009f7a26b74d166482.jpg

• That Rocks 1