21 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

Executive summary:  Cytokine storm can be a weak immune response, it can be innapropriate imnmunbe response suppression, but it is most prevalently a heroic measure from a healthy immune system that's been exposaed to something it doesn't understand .

The medical field has its own language:

Weak immune response means not-effective.  A Layperson could easily read that people are having a weak immune response and assume that if THEY exercise, then  THEIR immune sysztem would be 'stronger', but it has nothing to do with strength.

Tire out means exhausted of its fuel.  A layperson could easily read that paeople are tiringb out, and assume that if theyhit the gym their be more likely to survive, but again, that has nothing to do with strength; ANY system that can no longer metabolize will exhaust its supply, no matter how jacked the body is.

I have always acknowledged that the immune system is complex, as well as the body as a whole. That is why it is easy for medical treatment to fail, especially if faced with systemic conditions. That is why I relent to overall wellness, not just 'strength'. There are common practices that anyone can understand to better prepare themselves for infection. As an herbalist, knowledge is power, but I don't need to know every little detail about how the body works because I'm not trying to control it, I only seek to aid it when it communicates its need. But when forced to explain why I believe what I believe, I can tangle. But really, all I have urged is wellness. If you can't trust in wellness, then you can't trust anything a doctor purports to 'fix'.

The layperson doesn't need to understand all the possibilities of immune responses. It knows exactly what to do. They only need to understand that they have the power in themselves and with their lifestyle to significantly increase their survival and avoidance, from 'avoidable' disease. Catching the coronavirus is not the death sentence it is often presented to be. Not even the WHO was overly concerned about the outbreak at first. This DID catch the world by surprise. It also appears that its lethality is changing, and so far, we don't know if it demographic or if it is mutating to that extent. More data is still needed. But anyway, people are scared. And I think it's totally misplaced. At worse, the Medical Industry seeks to profit and dominate from it, at best, people have just forgotten that they are responsible for their own health first.

21 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

So, arguable?  perhazps, by those inclined to argue or deflect, but not really substantiated

It's easily substantiated. Europe - not prepared. Russia - not prepared. China - not prepared. South Korea - surprised, but prepared. Et al...

California - not prepared. New York - not prepared. Many states, such as Michigan, totally not prepared and actually, very incompetent up to now.

Hospitals - not prepared, with perhaps a few exceptions (I worked for a large hospital that was preparing for infection disease outbreaks, and as far as I know, they're doing fine so far).

All that on top of the fact that China is hard to trust, the media is hard to trust, and indeed, the medical industry is hard to trust sometimes.

Just because some people have to step up and own this and make mistakes in the process doesn't mean they are to blame. And I take it a step further, we should all own it. Bravely. Like men.

I want to see every governor succeed. Every leader, succeed. I want them all to make the right choices. And better choices are made when we can focus on the real threat, instead of multiple political and emotional ones.

Stickers

16 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

It's easily substantiated. Europe - not prepared. Russia - not prepared. China - not prepared. South Korea - surprised, but prepared. Et al...

California - not prepared. New York - not prepared. Many states, such as Michigan, totally not prepared and actually, very incompetent up to now.

Hospitals - not prepared......

This is why I shouldn't have said anything.  You, with a full set of faculties,  read that I was saying there was no lack of preparedness.

Me, with my faultyfaculties, intended to say that those that say 'we didn't see this coming and nobody could have' were lying.

Those are separate issues in my mind, which as we both know, had is corrupt FAT

You may have missed my apology previously.  It seemed an after thought, but I Should have begun with it; that was my primary consideration, to apologize.  It was on the nose of our family dinner, which hasn't been happening for a bit, so I was spending time with family.  I realized o hadn't apologized, and waited at least 15 minutes, so my apology wouldn't get merged into my previous post (and potentially missed), but then forgot to return and explain after our family had left.

And again, for that, Is apologize.

My brother performs neurosurgery in Manhattan, and is on staff and advisor to seven hospitals on long island.  Here's deeply involved with 'established' Western medicine (you know, the type that's full of  hubris, and trying to kill you)

My wife is medical team lead at an integrated care facility.  She coordinates care between physician, acupuncture, herbalist, reiki, psychiatric and yoga disciplines.  She had6 also developed integrated care protocols that have quickly gathered notice for both their patient focused motivations and their high success rate with intractable situations.

I've been sharing the information that they are discussing with  as they work to wards an understanding and course of action; trying to give a perspective into the thinking and processes behind the communities that are battling this.

I didn't intend to invite anger, violence or panic; in my mind, nature abhors a vacuum, and the more you know, the more prepared you can be.

That is, as you mention, a personal bias, and one that I wasn't expecting so much blow back on.

And one more time, I'm sorry

Edited by RichP714
  • Thank You 4

Stickers

On 3/25/2020 at 12:22 PM, Nahash5150 said:

Send them all to South Korea.

If they want the US to be more like China and South Korea, then anyone who complains about 'the response' will be arrested and thrown into quarantine. If anyone tests positive in an apartment building, weld all the doors and barricade the windows so NO ONE in the building can leave. The State of New York will be completely locked down - no one gets in, no one gets out, and if they try to leave they will be thrown into prison for crimes against humanity. If you start showing symptoms, then your family is mandated to throw you out onto the street so that the EMS or morgue can pick you up to increase efficiency.

• Haha 2

Stickers

Everyone seems to compare South Korea with the US. Korea has less than 20% of the population that the US has. So if Korea prepared the same as we did then they would look like they are more prepared. The US has this idea that if we need anything that we can just depend on our suppliers to deliver the goods and keep up.

( I.E. Automotive Manufacturing. ) J.I.T.  Just In Time Manufacturing. The cost of storing is a liability that they can shed so they can keep more of their profits.

This situation we have here is a direct result of worrying about it later if it happens. Our American companies are forced overseas to make our investors happy while events like this really makes you think about why we need to bring back more manufacturing to our country and stockpile necessities. We need to be more ready for the next one to come. 

I hope more Americans learn from this and will be more prepared for what's to come down the road. 

STAY HOME STAY SAFE STAY HEALTHY!👍

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Today Maine has joined the "stay-at-home" states. Effective 12:01am April 2nd thru April 30th. These are crazy times. I pray that all of you get through this with no complications or worse.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 2

On 3/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, RichP714 said:

If you look back, there have been decades of warning that this is coming;  This country's current leadership is promoting the idea that 'nobody saw this coming', and that is not correct; one can read for themselves (there's plenty of time right how) that this WAS foreseen; we just collectively chose to ignore it.,

The issue is that their high tech paradigm is a failure and they can't give up the gravy train. Now we we will get more of the same failure.

This is how it works. They put a bunch of really smart people in a room and they decide what the dominant virus will be next season. Then a government guy cuts a $50 billion check to some pharmaceutical company to create a vaccine. That approach was a disaster this winter.

Right now the really smart people seem to have decided that we need a Covid-19 vaccine ready by the end of summer. I read a news report that a pharmaceutical was gearing up to produce a billion doses of Covid-19 vaccine.

So say we manage to vaccinate 330 million Americans for Covid-19 by fall. What is our situation on October 1st 2020  when a very nasty version of SARS-20 emerges from a Chinese wet market?

Steve

• Thank You 2

We can go back and forth on any of the opinions here, but I just want to say this: Someone's health is not always their making. It can be genetics/hereditary. It can be many many factors over their lack of personal care. Their age should be applauded - they have lived that long. When someone suggests, offhandedly or otherwise, that ONLY those ill or old will not survive, THAT is frustrating. Intended or not, when you say things like that, that is what we hear. Sorry, just being real here.

As someone who has preexisting conditions caused by genetics/hereditary, someone who is over the age of 50, with kids with preexisting conditions as well, with dear friends who are older with preexisting conditions - I DO take offense. What makes the young bodybuilder more important than me or them?

For those that thought this was a nothing disease, sorry, you were wrong. Go back and do more research on the stats versus the flu. You are leaving out many parts of your comparison. People are dying at a higher rate (and yes, every disease has death, but this is unlike most of those diseases and is the most prevalent at this time and there is NO treatment, only palliative care that for some may work to save their life). THAT is what is important. People are surviving with a loss of 30% of their lung function. Previously healthy people are dying. Previously healthy children are dying. This could mutate further and cause even more havoc. Is the last thing you want your loved one to remember is that you thought they were dispensable because of their age, their health, or 'oops, didn't realize it could be you?'

I go back and read the beginning of the thread and see the light come on for some over the days. I surely hope more lights pop on before any of us fall ill.

For now all I want is my friends and family to be healthy and hope for moderate symptoms - because it is not IF, it is WHEN at this point. Stay healthy. Stay home. And with any luck, we can agree to disagree on this a year from now. Why not just be safer than sorry now? Not hysterical panic, just be prepared and safe. That is the only way we all get through this with a shot at visiting this thread a year from now and say - whew, I made it!

hugs to all in this difficult time.

• Love this! 5

@RichP714 I wasn't angry. I much like going back and forth over perspectives for the purpose of learning and honing my own perspective, as well as gaining more information and facts. Debate isn't comfortable, but that's okay by me. If I find you say something that feels too stabby and out of bounds, then I'll just point it out...like I did. But I have no hard feelings my friend - I have thick skin. I also well understand how tragic this is and how much everyone wants to know what to do and how to best react to it. And cheer on their political biases so meh - it happens!

14 minutes ago, shortcake said:

We can go back and forth on any of the opinions here, but I just want to say this: Someone's health is not always their making. It can be genetics/hereditary. It can be many many factors over their lack of personal care. Their age should be applauded - they have lived that long. When someone suggests, offhandedly or otherwise, that ONLY those ill or old will not survive, THAT is frustrating. Intended or not, when you say things like that, that is what we hear. Sorry, just being real here.

As someone who has preexisting conditions caused by genetics/hereditary, someone who is over the age of 50, with kids with preexisting conditions as well, with dear friends who are older with preexisting conditions - I DO take offense. What makes the young bodybuilder more important than me or them?

I don't know who or what you're referring to specifically, but I'll just assume it was me since I got into the woods about risk and mitigation.

The risk statistics come from the experts. 99% of the time, people are just talking about the data that scientists are doctors are publishing. The data shows that the disease thrives on the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions such as high blood pressure, drugs, etc. What such discussion help us do is figure out what the actual risks are and whether or not the world around us is behaving appropriately. This is purely a mental exercise though - I certainly don't mean it to ever imply that some people are just 'expendable'. Anyone can die of a viral infection. The question is, what makes some more vulnerable than others? What circumstances create it? What can we do to protect those at risk without putting everyone at risk? How dangerous is the disease really?

People tend to default to this situation as being extremely dangerous to everyone and take all precautions they can to avoid infection and feel deep sympathy for their family and friends and even people they see struggling and dying on TV. I get all that and my heart suffers with you and everyone else. I have a dear friend in New York that is sick with his autistic son and his elderly wife. They're all extremely miserable and scared. Now that this is hitting home, people are feeling the horror of this very closely, and it can tell you - I get it. It's fucking horrible.

But if I may. I also insist on keeping a clear head, and examine all the facts, and ensure that I'm well grounded in what is happening. There are lies and distortions out there - this world is not safe, ever. And I don't want my family and friends to be under the boot of some demagogue exploiting fear to secure power and control, and I don't want them to be afraid of something that isn't harmful, and I don't want them to lose respect for themselves or others, nor treat other people as if they are threatening their life just by standing there.

Fear is very dangerous. Things can unravel very quickly. And it's no way to live. So, in my opinion, it's best to bring it all to light, tell the truth, and be humbled by it.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

1 hour ago, shortcake said:

For now all I want is my friends and family to be healthy and hope for moderate symptoms - because it is not IF, it is WHEN at this point. Stay healthy. Stay home. And with any luck, we can agree to disagree on this a year from now. Why not just be safer than sorry now? Not hysterical panic, just be prepared and safe. That is the only way we all get through this with a shot at visiting this thread a year from now and say - whew, I made it!

hugs to all in this difficult time.

Hugs going back out to you too Shortcake.

The good news is that the NJ county nearest you only had 68 cases as of this morning and has been increasing real slow. The real problems are close in to NYC.

Steve

Edited by SteveK
  • That Rocks 1

30 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Hugs going back out to you too Shortcake.

The good news is that the NJ county nearest you only had 68 cases as of this morning and has been increasing real slow. The real problems are close in to NYC.

Steve

Monroe county pa is a hot spot...and not just because i live here lol. 

And my post was NOT directed at any one person or comment. Just an overall gut emotion about the entire situation. If it hit home on either side of the conversation, and makes you think, then great. 

Edited by shortcake
Spellcheck
  • Thank You 1