Posted (edited)

Half a dozen 24/7 news channels gotta have something to while away the hours, eh ...

Kinda makes you wonder about the "real news" behind the news though. NCAA was all set to play out March Madness, but without crowds. I get the feeling the big boyz at the NBA might have had mixed feelings about that when it comes to protecting their top draft prospects. Big Ten was the first to fold, and they've got a LOT of prime candidates the NBA is salivating over ...

Oh. My take on the Big Ten championship. Two teams played actual tournament games, so I figure the winner with the better record takes the prize? Go Hoosiers - BIG TEN CHAMPS !!  ;-}

** My favorite sports interview quote so far - Rick Patino from Minnesota, when asked about playing with no fans in the stands ...

"I've got experience ... I coached at FIU for a while"

Betcha they just burned his invite to the next reunion.  <G>

Edited by sKiZo
  • Haha 2

I just got back from Wally World, and it seems the population here have gone over the tipping point.  There is virtually nothing left in that store. 

I was lucky - I was after a prescription, and I did get a few dregs of food-like substances.  As long as I don't run out of cat-food, I'm good for ages.  What a mess, though.  as soon as it became an "official"issue, people just lost their collective marbles, so be careful where you walk.    :/

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

I am going to put an add in the paper for a firearm exchange. You give me your gun or rifle and I will give you a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of hand sanitizer no questions asked!

Just so long as they don't use the gun to get the TP!  :(

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

[…]

@AndrewJohn Let me give you a different perspective. Viruses adapt and evolve rapidly. Viruses for millions of years have been vital to our own evolution and survival. We even have virus sequences permanently part of our DNA. 

Do you remember what happened in North America from smallpox? The natives had no immunity to it at all...their immune systems were unprepared to deal with the evolution of that virus strain from a completely different part of the world.

The Spanish Flu had similar consequences. It spread rapidly because of world wide travel, exposing people who had no immunity to it... because of isolation.

Isolation from getting infection is far more deadly than getting infections. By getting infections your immune system is constantly learning and adapting to small changes in viral adaptations. 

Therefore, a person who has been getting sick every year has a much better chance of survival than a person who out of fear never leaves their house and has not gotten sick for 30 years. 

Isolation is deadly. Our immune systems must learn and adapt with the Invaders that try to harm us.

Only our immune systems can defeat viruses like this. It's simply part of being alive on this planet and it is important for us to go through it.

Furthermore, the statistics reveal that this virus is actually very mild. It's not a challenge at all for our adaptive immune response. Pretty much only the those with health conditions are dying from it. And I'm sure many of them were chronically dehydrated and had a shitty diet. It's well known that people who develop pneumonia from the flu have some serious constipation problems, or go overboard with trying to suppress their cold symptoms, blocking the efficiency of their immune response. 

Any doctor will tell you, when treating a pneumonia patient, a delicate balance of suppression, hydration, careful oxygenation and letting the body do it's job is vital for survival. You must not interfere with a person's immune response, because when you do, they will die. Unfortunately, doctors are expected to mitigate symptoms, and they end up killing a lot of people because of it. There's mountains of data revealing this.

This situation should humble us to the wonder of nature. We do not, and cannot, control everything.

Good point, and totally agree, @Nahash5150.  On scale, this is truth.  Every once in a while, events and geographic distance get that immunity-development cycle out of whack..., like this one.  And, well, one wouldn't want to be the statistic that participated in the development of the immunity..., I think most would agree they want to avoid that individual outcome.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I take exception to this. 

30+ years in management, and damn right I expect people to show up - that’s how we get work done.  I have ALWAYS worked side by side WITH my people, teaching/training/learning together.  I have spent precious little time in my office (often getting me in trouble with my supervisors), and “ivory tower”? - never seen one of those.

I'm with you on this, @Daddyjt I over-generalized, probably to make a point, and the experience I have at the moment..., thanks for calling me out on that.

Like you, I have been in management, (line, middle, upper and c-level) most of my career (35 years+), and in my own experience, I've been the minority, rolling up my sleeves, over communicating, showing up, working side by side, and maintaining the mentality that I would never ask someone to do something I was not willing and able to do along side them - whenever possible.  I've found I've learned much, and accelerated innovation more often that way - a benefit to all levels.

But, recently, I've experienced much the opposite.  Example: I started to develop a COVID-19 response plan in early February..., and it was not well received. Frankly, I was laughed at, especially in terms of considering our employees health, and what we could do to mitigate risk, while maintaining productivity in the event things got worse (remember, this was very early February).  I was told to forget about it, not our problem, we don't care, will never happen..., then, this last week, it was like Priority One, I won't go into details, but the experience extended well beyond the walls, to many other institutions and companies.

Yes, of course, everyone's experience is different.  Glad to hear you are one of the good guys in management!  

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Excellent discussion and very interesting to see the critical thinking around the "convergence" of the many factors that drive the experience we are all in at the moment. 

This group is an incredible brain trust!  Thank all you guys for letting me be here.

• That Rocks 2

Stickers

(referring to the video above)

And so the mentality that caused the problem of superbugs is going to fix it? I wonder what the unintended consequences of using phages like that will be...

I'm sure I sound like an oddball advocating the strength and wonder of our own bodies...that I dare to believe in the not so obvious - that our bodies, properly cared for, can heal and cleanse themselves without intrusive and risky drugs. That I respect the complexity of our biology and apply medical research data to support it's effectiveness. That the medical establishment, as technologically advanced as it is, does not mean it should by default be trusted in all its methods and biases.

Considering that the medical establishment monopoly is not only heavily protected by the government, but also among the most wealthy and profitable industries that utilize a rather hard to oppose marketing strategy (when ever in doubt when you're desperate, see your doctor) they by necessity are very biased against educating people to care for themselves independently. They ingeniously promote dependency, so much that a vast number of people actually believe access to them is a 'right'.

That said, doctors and nurses are not trained to aid the body's functions. They are trained to analyze symptoms and use drugs to control the functions of the body. Rich once used an analogy of driving a car with chopsticks. Using drugs is just as dicey. That's why doctors need so much training. Controlling the body always has unintended consequences. Always. And doctors know they will have deal with their own 'side effects'. But that's okay. They have a these strange names for diseases and conditions of the body, and so most people have no idea...not even after going from one or two drugs to 30 drugs... their body is 'broken' and they have no hope but to give their lives to the doctors. This, among other things, leads us all to believe that are bodies are fragile and incompetent without doctors.

But realistically, it's just as the phage video above reveals, perhaps accidentally. We are experimental vessels for their drugs and machines. They are always looking for ways to get rich off our sicknesses and weakness.

So while they do offer life saving technology and drugs, they are not modern saints marching in from heaven.

They are not my gods.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

1 hour ago, AndrewJohn said:

Good point, and totally agree, @Nahash5150.  On scale, this is truth.  Every once in a while, events and geographic distance get that immunity-development cycle out of whack..., like this one.  And, well, one wouldn't want to be the statistic that participated in the development of the immunity..., I think most would agree they want to avoid that individual outcome.

This COVID-19 is a very mild infection and not at all a huge leap for our immune systems. Children, for example, hardly get sick at all from it. Still, it's better to get infected by it because look at the trend... SARS, MERS, COVID... what's next? 

There will be a next.

No pathologist or epidemiologist that I have consulted was ever worried about this infection. They knew it would spread rapidly with very little danger to people at large. Go to the CDC website and read their description of this virus. They say very plainly that it's a mild sickness and that most of our population will be infected eventually.

The only reason for the extra cleanliness and social distancing is to slow the exponential growth so that our medical facilities are not overwhelmed from the 'peak' infection period. It's expected that about 10% of people infected will need some medical attention. So by slowing the spread, the slope is kept gradual.

The more people that get infected means more immunity means less carriers means less spread. This idea that we can just isolate and completely avoid infection is rather dubious to say the least, and not the right mentality. This causes panic and stress, recipes for unintended consequences...

After you've had the infection and recovered, guess what, you're safe around the vulnerable. But oh my, what a terrible thing to say right now. Even though it's true.

But don't take it from me, look into yourself. 😁

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

@Nahash5150 definitely aligned.  "Filtering" medical advice should be taught to our children.  I've been managing a number of things with diet and exercise for over a decade, that had I followed the advice of the money-makers, I'd be dependent on a few drugs by now.

FWIW, to clarify, I should have said "one wouldn't want to be the FATAL statistic that participated in the development of the immunity." ...of course, we all must participate in the development of the immunity, or we won't build it up using the body's natural ability to do so.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

2 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

"one wouldn't want to be the FATAL statistic that participated in the development of the immunity."

Well, personally, I'm not afraid of death. It's like fearing tomorrow.

The only thing I'm afraid of going crazy like half our population.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

4 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

(referring to the video above)

And so the mentality that caused the problem of superbugs is going to fix it? ......

If you are referring to my post re the deadliest thing on Earth, although the video does seem to advocate using phages to reduce bacterial resistance o antibiotics at one point, that was not the intent of my posting it.  I thought the animation was neat, and described the inner workings of phages pretty well, for those that are curious,; I didn't intend to propose a solution.

The apparent solution to many deadly  cross species infections seems to be 'don't treat livestock like an expense,' as I mentioned in the post just above the above mentioned post (which is now a page back)

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nahash5150 said:

@RichP714 Yes, I'm sorry I didn't mean to criticize you for posting it. It was indeed a very neat video and I liked it. 

But, some things in it kinda set me off and away I went...not the fault of the video at all.

I can dig it, and I'm glad you 'went off' as you describe it; I just didn't want anyone to think that I was advising people one way or another (epidemiology isn't my focus)

Edited by RichP714
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Posted (edited)

I liked the bacteriophage video because it conveyed a great deal of very highly technical information in a way that a non-biology major could comprehend (even me!). If this is what Bill Gates is doing instead of being on the board at Microsoft then perhaps he should do more of it. He has worked quite hard with major corporations to solve problems for the disadvantaged populations of the world....like making hardware that creates potable water for those who have none.  A noble purpose. People need potable water to stay healthy. 

BTW, stock market (DJIA) bounced back 9% in less than a minute yesterday....never saw that before!

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

27 minutes ago, Balok said:

I have decided to follow the guidelines and I will "self-isolate" for 14 years......

Haven't you already been doing that for at least the last 14 years?  😏

4 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

@Nahash5150

Well, personally, I'm not afraid of death. It's like fearing tomorrow.

Agreed. As a cancer survivor and having been on the living-side of that dark event for over 11 years now, like you, I no longer fear death. It could come knocking tomorrow. I'm OK with that because I would still consider myself way ahead, its amazing I'm even here now to write this. But other people's fears are a direct manifestation of their beliefs and I don't necessarily expect that they will hold the same as mine. The last time I checked every American is allowed to have his or her own belief even if it involves a fear of COVID-19. 

I may not be able to justify their belief of fear but I would be very inclined to respect it. It is REAL to them. It is their reality.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1