This is a good trial run for the next pandemic. Overhyped or not, I believe valuable lessons are being learned by government, business, and society in general that will better prepare us for the inevitable outbreak that epidemiologist’s have been predicting for years. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

6 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

This is a good trial run for the next pandemic. Overhyped or not, I believe valuable lessons are being learned by government, business, and society in general that will better prepare us for the inevitable outbreak that epidemiologist’s have been predicting for years. 

Too bad then next pandemic will not be CommonSense xx.

• Thank You 4

Stickers

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

I wonder how long before someone names a computer virus Covid-xx?

In Snow Crash, a science fiction novel by American writer Neal Stephenson, a linguistic virus, similar to a computer virus, but biologically based, transfers itself directly to the brainstem of any human who happens to be staring at the computer screen during the 'snow crash' program's execution.  

A chilling thought. The weaponization of real viruses and biological toxins has been the fascination of mankind and world governments for many decades and the Russians were masters at some of the most deadly strains during the cold war era.  They worked on some very scary stuff, and actually retrieved live biological material from the body of dead comrades who actually died from accidental exposure during laboratory testing. Now that's exploitation.

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/14/2020 at 3:19 PM, straylight said:

TW, stock market (DJIA) bounced back 9% in less than a minute yesterday

As of mid-day today (Monday)...I take it back.

The average death rate in the U.S. during the regular +/-4 month flu season is +/- 2000 deaths per week. A 40yr. peak occured during the 2017/18 season of around 4000 deaths per week. As of today after more than 3 1/2 months of Covid19 we have 6500 deaths WORLDWIDE? When I first seen how the western world went ba+$hyt crazy and called Vlad an evil dictaror for closing the Russian boarder immediately after the outbreak, look at the Covid19 world infections map. For any of the statistics just check the CDC's own website(before it's gone).

Screenshot_20200316-093811.png

• Thank You 1

IMO the death toll and the virus itself is not the concern, It is fact that the virus can be so easily transmitted and spread. People are already panicked thanks to the media. A mass outbreak would trigger breakdowns in civil society, that law enforcement could not contain. Panic triggers chaos and chaos causes death and destruction.

• Thank You 3

Makes sense. After the fact, it was determined that during the Spanish Flu, many deaths were attributed to the use of a new wonder drug produced by Bayer called  Aspirin. Aspirin lowers your body temperature and people were being advised by the Journal of the American Medical Association and the Surgeon General of the U.S. Army to take from 8 to 31 grams daily which significantly dropped your body temperature. Tequila and a hot tub. This will work wonders for a flu. Maybe a life jacket. Apparently the Chinese had discovered that in accute cases 6-12,000mg/day intravenous Vitamin C helped tremendously. As for worry, the statistics for deaths worldwide(including countries with very poor health care systems) put from young children to age 54 at 0.2% rising above that age to a bit more than the normal flu. Good luck. Take care. Have fun.  😎

Yes I agree. I'm here in Canada and the media has absolutely created widspread panic and paranoia. I guess time will tell how truely contagious and deadly it becomes once it's more wide spread. I think at its peak it still won't come close to the 2017/18 flu season(I hope). It's the fact of overwhelming the medical system that's my concern. Almost wish I could get it now because when the second round comes out the virus will have mutated and possibly be worse. As for news saying you can get it twice in a row, it's been found that those tested were still not finished beating it and it was just lingering. Not trying to be inconsiderate or greedy but bring it on, if there's still room at the hospital, and maybe I could do something to help out during the next time around. Just sayin'

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, edneck said:

Almost wish I could get it now

If you are 60 or 70 years of age (or even older) and/or have diabetes, are a lifetime smoker/drinker or are immunocompromised, you may wish to wait for a safe vaccine instead of a direct exposure. Once you roll the COVID-19 dice you cannot withdraw from the game if you suddenly roll snake-eyes. 

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 2

I'm 56 so it may be a bit of a gamble. I have never had a flu shot. My son brings a flu home from school every year. I've finished his supper for him when he's too sick to finish it himself. I've had the flu probably 20+ times in my life. Each time would either be a different one or a mutated version of the last. Somewhere around 10 years since the last time I had one so I think I've built some pretty strong antibodies against the common flu. I would like to take this one on the chin and get it done with. That would hopefully help in the future when I do get older and this corona becomes just another anual. OH YEAH! The new vaccine will only be put into me at gunpoint. This horse hockey of vaccines is one of the main causes of people having weak immune systems as far as I'm concerned. I honestly don't trust any of it. If you remember when George W. Bush was handling the Bird Flu, he passed law for the military quarantine of any U.S. city that would have an outbreak and in that law it was written that if they created a vaccine for it, they would impose MANDATORY INJECTIONS. Remember?

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, edneck said:

10 years since the last time I had one so I think I've built some pretty strong antibodies against the common flu.

Unfortunately, any antibodies for common flu will not help with this one. This particular virus variant, COVID-19, has not been in-human before so your antibodies would not likely be effective against it to any degree. This is an 'enveloped' virus with a unique crown-protein-layer on top that is able to readily attach itself to other cells. It also can get into the lungs and if it does the results are not good.

However, having said all that, I highly respect and admire your belief in confidence. 

I do not share your view of vaccines, as I believe they have saved many lives over the years. It is when people fail to use them that we are seeing the emergence of measles and other diseases in our population that, I believe, should be eradicated by now. 

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1

With a 99.9% recovery rate, this virus is easily recognized and defeated by the human immune system without any need for a vaccine or medical treatment. The immune system is a highly intelligent and effective microbiological network that specializes in adapting to pathogen evolution and mutations. Antibodies are proteins made by the immune system after it learns how to attach them to each and every pathogen it encounters (when antibodies attach to a pathogen, it's doomed. Macrophages eat them then you shit, cough or sneeze them out). When specific antibodies are made regularly, this is known as 'immunity' to a certain pathogen. The immune system remembers specific antibodies for about 10 years, then they fall off production if never needed.

People are dying from coronavirus for the same reason they die from the flu - they're already unhealthy, very old or full of drugs that suppress their immune response. I don't give a shit what the goddamn media says. Pathologists, who actually know how this shit works, were never worried about humans naturally recovering from this sickness. This is no excuse to 'downplay' the situation, but those are the facts. Very few people are affected by this, but because it spreads so easily and rapidly, the law of averages places quite a few people in the hospital (and I pray for them while in the hands of doctors...good luck). Approximately 50,000,000 people die every year in the world, and most of them are 'sick' before it happens, so...do the math.

It doesn't matter if a person gets a vaccine or not. Only the person's immune system as a whole can defeat an infection. Period. At best vaccines help the immune system learn, it does NOT take over the immune system in any way whatsoever. Synthetic antibodies do however, take over immune system functions, which is why they complicate future response and damage the body. Penicillins and all their derivatives are chemicals which simply slow down bacterial reproduction...which can cause the bacteria to adapt and become 'super bugs' and develop an immunity to many kinds of drugs. These also damage the body, and shouldn't be over used.

Don't listen to doctors about how to care for your immune system or how to protect yourself against disease or cure disease. They don't really know. All they know how to do is diagnose conditions for treatment and drugs. In some ways, they are actually not very well qualified to care for people with viral infections. Instead, read Medical Researchers. The real doctors. They actually know how things work and what causes diseases. Standard practitioners are heavily biases to stay in business. That's why they don't have a 'cure' for anything. However, if you read the actual research, you can find cures everywhere.

• Thank You 3

Stickers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nahash5150 said:

Standard practitioners are heavily biases to stay in business. That's why they don't have a 'cure' for anything.

So are the pharmaceutical companies. They all have a vested interest in the 'pill-for-life' approach to medical science but, as you point out and many would agree, it is NOT a cure. Symptom suppression only.

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

Truth is a slippery fish and not often caught. Sometimes its the one that got away...

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

22 minutes ago, straylight said:

Truth is a slippery fish and not easily caught. Sometimes its the one that got away...

With the status of our media and the current crop of politicians, even when truth is caught, it's part of the catch-and-release program. Then the fish stories begin...

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

Although I don't profess to know the 'Absolute Truth' about anything perhaps a vigorous debate about what the truth may be might bring us all closer to it.

• Haha 1

I'm really suspicious that this sickness has already been cycling in the US since the New Year. Check this out:

The first known case of the novel coronavirus was traced back to 1 December 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei, China.[152] A later unconfirmed claim, citing Chinese government documents, suggests that the first victim was a 55-year-old man who fell ill on 17 November 2019.[255][under discussion] Within the next month, the number of coronavirus cases in Hubei gradually increased to a couple of hundred, before rapidly increasing in January 2020. On 31 December 2019, the virus had caused enough cases of unknown pneumonia to be reported to health authorities in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, China,[145] and an investigation into the illness began early in the following month.[146] These were mostly linked to the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, which also sold live animals, consequently the virus is thought to have a zoonotic origin.[147]

During the early stages, the number of cases doubled approximately every seven and a half days.[256] In early and mid-January 2020, the virus spread to other Chinese provinces, helped by the Chinese New Year migration, with Wuhan being a transport hub and major rail interchange in China; infected people quickly spread throughout the country.[176] On 20 January, China reported nearly 140 new cases in a day, including two people in Beijing and one in Shenzhen.[257] Later official data shows that 6,174 people had already developed symptoms by 20 January 2020.[258]

On 30 January, the WHO declared the outbreak to be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.[259] On 24 February, its director, Tedros Adhanom, warned that the virus could become a global pandemic due to increasing numbers of cases outside China.[260]

On 13 March, the WHO declared Europe to be the new centre of the pandemic, after the rate of new cases in Europe surpassed those recorded in other regions of the world apart from China.[261] By 16 March 2020, the total number of cases reported around the world outside China had exceeded that of Mainland China.[262] As of 18 March 2020, over 206,000 cases have been reported worldwide; more than 8,200 people have died; and over 82,000 have recovered.[3] There is thought to be a substantial underreporting of cases, particularly of cases with milder symptoms or no symptoms.[263][264]

So how do we conclude that the virus didn't start spreading in the United States until we started testing for it? Actually, nobody was even concerned about this until it became a media event.

What the fuck is going on here...

It was spreading in China during their New Year celebrations, and considering all the traveling between US and China during the Holidays, how is this suddenly a new outbreak in late February? If we take seriously how easily this virus spreads, it looks like we've had it here for months already.

Could it be that that nasty 'flu' many of us had during the Holidays was the coronavirus? No mitigation measures were taken by China until the Wuhan outbreak. Nobody knows yet why certain areas have such dramatic illnesses, even though when they test, they find it everywhere!

So the testing is revealing where it is, not where it has arrived. We're way behind in all this. We could have already reached our peak infection rate.

Stickers

On 3/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, Nahash5150 said:

Well, personally, I'm not afraid of death. It's like fearing tomorrow.

The only thing I'm afraid of going crazy like half our population.

I agree with this statement. I think that fear is a much larger threat at this point than the virus itself. I definitely understand limiting contact for the elderly, or those with compromised immune systems. But for the general, healthy population, I think That fear of exposure is not something that we should allow to cripple us.

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Posted (edited)

@Nahash5150

The easiest way to determine this may be be look for the rate-of-change in the number of cases in the US. Italy had only 2 new cases after the first month but after that it was an exponential explosion. If we are behind Italy in exposure the US case will repeat that exponential growth curve...if we are ahead of them in exposure (already here for months) then this exponential curve will not occur or will flatten out dramatically with time. Just a thought on trying to  gauge this as far as origin.

Edited by straylight
  • That Rocks 1