Thought I'd Stop In to See The Site and Swap Some Stories

My first interaction with Bob Carver was through an auction site listing for one of his prototype-design vacuum tube amps for sale.  At first I couldn't believe that it was really him, sending some of his novel (and historic!) audio creations off into the wild before the rest of mankind could even buy it off the shelf. But it was indeed true, it was the man. It seemed bold and exciting, traits that I would soon learn Bob has in great supply. The auction was accompanied by one of the best question and answer pages and DEEP-DIVES into the very nature of sound, psycho-acoustics and how distortions come into the real world...and it blew my mind.

Someone from this site contacted me recently about that very auction and I learned through him that he had captured these incredible Q &A sessions for all posterity (thank you weitrhino!). It was amazing how much information was conveyed in those Q&A/auctions and Bob never, ever refused a single question and even supplied schematics for several of his designs that were currently in development. 

I'm still in touch with Bob on occasion but wonder how many members have had the opportunity of interacting with him as well. Bob even gave me pointers on some tube mono-amps  that I was constructing at the time and told me that my grounding method needed some improvements...and when I made the mods the 20 kHz oscillations I was experiencing went completely away.  

Ok enough for now.  I was told by weitrhino that the manual for the prototype amp may be added to this site if there is any member interest in it. I'm just happy to be here.

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 3

Great story, and it fits right in with everything I've heard of Bob Carver.  Quite a few here have had face-to-face with Mr. Carver. He has attended the CarverFest several times, and there have been Carver build projects for a few of them. One was the Carver 275 tube amp a couple of years ago. The fest is in North Carolina during September, and there's a sound room on this site about the Fest.

Welcome aboard, and as soon as you get to Novice status (6 thumbs up or that rocks), you'll have the permissions to upload some pics of your gear. We would all love to see them.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome straylight. Bob is a real down to earth guy that does not minding sharing knowledge with someone that has an interest, as most here will attest to. That said, all here that I know of are of the same mind. Looking forward to your post.

Old Cowboy.jpg

• Thank You 4

1 hour ago, straylight said:

My first interaction with Bob Carver was through an auction site listing for one of his prototype-design vacuum tube amps for sale.  At first I couldn't believe that it was really him, sending some of his novel (and historic!) audio creations off into the wild before the rest of mankind could even buy it off the shelf. But it was indeed true, it was the man. It seemed bold and exciting, traits that I would soon learn Bob has in great supply. The auction was accompanied by one of the best question and answer pages and DEEP-DIVES into the very nature of sound, psycho-acoustics and how distortions come into the real world...and it blew my mind.

Someone from this site contacted me recently about that very auction and I learned through him that he had captured these incredible Q &A sessions for all posterity (thank you weitrhino!). It was amazing how much information was conveyed in those Q&A/auctions and Bob never, ever refused a single question and even supplied schematics for several of his designs that were currently in development. 

I'm still in touch with Bob on occasion but wonder how many members have had the opportunity of interacting with him as well. Bob even gave me pointers on some tube mono-amps  that I was constructing at the time and told me that my grounding method needed some improvements...and when I made the mods the 20 kHz oscillations I was experiencing went completely away.  

Ok enough for now.  I was told by weitrhino that the manual for the prototype amp may be added to this site if there is any member interest in it. I'm just happy to be here.

There will always be medicine for the masses but its MUSIC that heals this broken soul.

1 minute ago, straylight said:

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

@AndrewJohn

Thank you for your warm welcome. You have an eagle eye, even when the pixel and bit-depth are quite low. Perhaps my reply should be reserved for another day as I am so new to this site (a true newbie) and really need to get my footing as an immediate priority.

Noticed the DENON table in your equipment list...I once owned a DENON 47F table and must say it is a very smart design, especially in how it applies treatment to cancel the cartridge compliance and natural tonearm resonances in the 2-9 Hz region. A smart choice you have made and beautiful engineering!

Hope to see you around in the near future to continue our dialog.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Well, I am curious..., 

That Carver Silver 1 Tube Preamp is probably the most rare carver item on the planet...,

I would love to hear the story behind yours!

Did someone mention that we LOVE pictures!  😉 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome.jpg

Welcome to the group, @straylight!  The folks, here are remarkably welcoming, and you are a very obvious fit.

I've never had the pleasure of interacting with Bob, only appreciating the fruits of his creativity, but from all I've read, and heard, your comments ring very true to the man.

That Infinity based system looks pristine, and very beautiful.  Now for the inevitable question - out of utter curiosity, what restoration did you do?  No matter what it was, on what component(s), well done!

• Thank You 1

@Brian_at_HHH

Restoration was relatively easy. Turns out the connection hardware by infinity at the time these were being made were the quality of 'junk' and were all hanging by a thread...literally. No way to pass any real amperage through these until retrofit. I replaced all interface connections with Cardas quality connections...solid copper Cardas 5-way binding posts for the bass cabinets (not cheap!) and Cardas compression fittings (also not cheap) for crossovers in panels in panel base. The 5-ways look like they are plastic on the outside only because I shrink wrapped them because its far to easy to short these big copper bindings with speaker spades and then end your amplifier's career forever!

One bass driver voicecoil on the right bottom was fried and BIll Legal (Infinity expert extraordinaire') at Miller sound took care of that in a jiff. The EMIMS were like brand new and you can tell that by the highly reflective quality of the silver surface, the third one down on the panel takes the most abuse by design and they get dingy and wavy patterns in them after some abuse. I'll post another picture below to show you how nice they actually looked.

DSC_1835.thumb.JPG.d1426d533b2ac4f047e1b9ba00f0d090.JPGDSC_1836.thumb.JPG.4538e0ca2e248b3e24b787b163ee550d.JPG

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

@Brain_at_HHH

BTW...Bill Legal mentioned that these were the much rarer RS-1s and not RS-1b's. I was lucky to be able to find them he said because the bass drivers were the original poly cone but with black voice coil cover. According to Bill these drivers produced superior base and were much more articulate than the type later found in the RS-1b's. He said the reason for the change...they were just too expensive for the factory to make long-term.  

The guy also happened to have a brand new (still in the box) set of Infinity panel and bass grills 'fresh-from-the-factory-floor' which I snapped up immediately. Where does this guy find this stuff!!!

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 2

• Community Admin
On 3/8/2020 at 5:08 PM, straylight said:

AndrewJohn-chan...even Emperors must wait before truly knowing what lies beneath the kimono...

I'm curious.

What is the origin of the handle "StrayLight" ?

And, those Infinities look familiar..., what geolocation are you? (generally)…, I'm in Chicago-land - suburbs.

@AndrewJohn

Straylight is a reference to a private villa - perhaps you have heard of William Gibson - Takeshi Kitano - Johny Mnemonic and the Talking Head? 

@weitrhino

Your 'welcome message' is a real scream...thank you. Wow, shades of Hotel California! Looks like a unique and very interesting place to be live...with the most interesting neighbors around!

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin
19 hours ago, straylight said:

@AndrewJohn

Straylight is a reference to a private villa - perhaps you have heard of William Gibson - Takeshi Kitano - Johny Mnemonic and the Talking Head? 

TY.  So many references to "StrayLight" exist..., seems that few know the William Gibson origin.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1

His many contributions to literature have shaped the modern world we live in today. Such far-reaching vision for humanity is chilling but also, I believe, a surprisingly accurate premonition of how the consciousness of man and machine will undoubtedly commingle and become one in the not so distant future. That process has already begun.

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 2