Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The house was a Rockin' in the 5.7 Earthquake

We were awakened by the worst earthquake I've ever experienced here in the Salt Lake valley this morning at approximately 07:09 AM.  It shook the house hard, but fortunately this was more of a jelly bowl like wave type of shaking and we sustained no visible damage here at my house.

It was a very high displacement movement type of shake so I did run out into the garage to make certain my 70 GTO didn't get moved into the walls.  It was moved only slightly, about an inch, in the Southward direction and didn't hit anything thank goodness.  I am located in West Bountiful about 10 miles away from the epicenter of the temblor that was located in Magna.  I believe @Daddyjtis located out in Magna and I hope he and his are all okay out there.

But my family and I are all in good shape here and preparing for the aftershocks of which we've had more than 33 as of this writing on 03/18/2020 11:12AM.

Your fellow Carverite,

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
Typo
  • Thank You 8
  • That Rocks 2
1 minute ago, Dadvw said:

Glad to hear that you and your family are fine. And of course, the car........grin

Thanks @Dadvw!  I hope @Daddyjtchimes in on this.  I think he's located right at the epicenter of this one.

Turbo

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
4 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Glad to hear that nothing bad happened to ya! 

Thanks @Charlie!  I've got the M-1.5t cranked up to J.S. Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor at the moment!

Sounds splendid too!

Turbo

• That Rocks 4
  • Community Admin
1 hour ago, Turbo said:

Thanks @Dadvw!  I hope @Daddyjtchimes in on this.  I think he's located right at the epicenter of this one.

Turbo

Thanks for the update Dave. Is Daddyjt back home yet? Either way, I hope all is well with him and his family, and they come through this with no damage.

• Thank You 4
1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

Thanks for the update Dave. Is Daddyjt back home yet? Either way, I hope all is well with him and his family, and they come through this with no damage.

You betcha @Sk1Bum! I haven't heard anything back from @Daddyjt.  I sure hope all is well with him and his...

Turbo

• Thank You 4

Good to hear you are safe.  Nothing worse than the earth moving when you aren't ready for it.

Lived through two big ones in the Bay Area..., Loma Prieta was not fun.  At 6.9 for 20 seconds, cars in the parking lot were playing bumper-cars.

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 2

Hey guys - thank you for all the concern! My family is all safe, and aside from a few Sheetrock cracks and broken pictures and nicnacks, the house fared ok. I am still in CA for another week, but a very fast 9 hour drive home if shit gets real. 

Who ever woulda thought you go to California to be SAFE from an earthquake?!

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad your ok!  Earthquakes are not fun!!  I have friends just north of Logan I should probably check on!  Hope the aftershocks remain minimal!

barryg

• Thank You 2
2 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

So glad to hear my friend, it's real, now get your butt back here and lets get together once this insanity is over.

Regards,

Dave

1 minute ago, BarryG said:

Glad your ok!  Earthquakes are not fun!!  I have friends just north of Logan I should probably check on!  Hope the aftershocks remain minimal!

barryg

@BarryG,

Logan is 70+ miles North of the epicenter.  So they should be in good shape up there.  But boy, it sure was a wake-up call for me here in West Bountiful.

Dave

• Thank You 2
  • Community Admin

I'm happy to hear that all three of you & your families fared well!

• Thank You 3
1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

Hey guys - thank you for all the concern! My family is all safe, and aside from a few Sheetrock cracks and broken pictures and nicnacks, the house fared ok. I am still in CA for another week, but a very fast 9 hour drive home if shit gets real. 

Glad to hear you will be back soon.   I agree with @Turbo and lets get together when you are back and caught up at home.

• Thank You 3

I didn’t realize that Utah was susceptible to earthquakes!  5.7 is not too bad, but certainly enough to get your attention.  There is always a small chance that this was a preshock, and a bigger one is coming.  Take a little bit of time to move or secure anything fragile that you wouldn’t want to lose and wait a week or so before putting it back.  Dishes, pictures on the wall, that car, carver audio equipment, etc.

i have lived in SoCal all my life.  I hate earthquakes.

• Thank You 2
7 hours ago, BrianD said:

I didn’t realize that Utah was susceptible to earthquakes!  5.7 is not too bad, but certainly enough to get your attention.  […]

Reality is, geologically, every region is susceptible.  Just statistically less, or more probable (probability varies over geologic time, though) - and therefore, regions less or more expecting / prepared. 

If the New Madrid fault, east-west across New Madrid, near St. Louis ever slips again, enough to make the Mississippi River flow backwards for days…, a whole lot of unprepared structures are going to fall, from KC to Chicago, and more.  Back in the first decade of the 1900's, this happened, but tall buildings didn't exist.  Brick only built (generally) to six stories pre-steel structural construction. 

When I was in college, west central IL, halfway between St. Louis and the Quad Cities, my 20 story dorm shook all the time.  Studying Geology, we had a seismometer on the 23rd floor, and one on the ground, studied the reaction of the building to the waves.

Gets one thinking.  But always glad to know our Carverites are getting through the experience.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BrianD said:

I didn’t realize that Utah was susceptible to earthquakes! 

I have lived in SoCal all my life.  I hate earthquakes.

We rest on the Wasatch Fault line here in Utah.  So we do get some seismic activity here too.  But it's usually low enough that I don't even notice it.  But 5.7 was enough to get my attention and worry about cracks in the walls in and outside of the house.  Fortunately my house didn't crack anywhere that I can see.  But it was strong enough that it knocked the Angel Moroni's Horn out of his hand on the Salt Lake City LDS Temple.

Angel Moroni before the quake:

1694080705_AngelMoroniBefore5.7Quake.jpg.de651d0a6056ffd1ba0bc9445cbb6869.jpg

Angel Moroni after the quake:

After 5.7 Quake.jpg

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
Pictures came out wrong
  • Thank You 2

Now that I think about it, pushing up those mountains must have shaken things up over the years.  I guess I just think about the ring of fire, since I live on it.  I hope that this one was the big one of this series for you guys.

• Thank You 1
  • 1 month later...

Sure glad to hear that all is OK. In southern CA  we havent had much action in a while. Not even enough to make a record skip.  But if we do I am sure that governor hair gel will have our back...... 

• Haha 2