Worth Keeping or Start Over?

Long time Member Now Retired - Time to Dust off my passion!

I joined this group several years ago to try and bring myself current on the latest Carver Equipment trends. Now that I'm retired, I have plenty of time to devote to my longtime passion - High Quality Audio. Over the years I either purchased or was given various Carver Components dating back to the 70's, 80's and 90's. What I need help with is deciding what keep and what to put on the market for true Carver devotees.

I currently have an "as built" M500-T Amp, (2) TFM-25 Amps, C-1 Preamp, C-4000 Preamp, TL-3300 CD Player, Carver Model Seven Preamp/Tuner, Carver Hologram Generator, A dbx unit whose Model I've forgotten some of which will power a Mint Set of 1979 JBL 4311's.

My question is Which Amps are better/worth keeping and what, if any, upgrades would they need (I like the M500t) but would like your input.

Which Pre-Amp? The C-1 (no upgrades but spotless) Same with the C-4000 and which one would compliment the M500t. As far as a Tuner,  which Model Carver Tuner

would play best the with whichever components you think I should keep. I forget the Model Seven which is open for trade or recommendation. My issue is, pretty sure which Amp and Speakers I'm keeping -  Nothing is set in stone except the JBL's - Love those things. I purchased most, if not all of this gear at the Camp Butler PX  on Okinawa. I was up the hill at Futenma - yeah, I was a Rotor Head.

So, if any of you Gentlemen Carverites wouldn't mind helping out a tired,  broken-down,  worn-out Retired Old Jarhead, I will be forever in your debt!

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Of your list, the only items I've listened to are the M-500t and the C-1. Those two are very complimentary together, and with an mkII and BillD upgrade, they are magic. I run a Bonzoro modded 4000t with my M500t mkII, and it is magic as well. I've said a few times, that either one paired with the M500t is the right choice. 

• Thank You 3

Welcome to the site! I would hook up the equipment in different combinations and listen to a few tracks and see what sounds best to you. If you are going to keep all your equipment (for any future systems......read OCCD here......grin) I would refurbish it so you can really enjoy it. I agree with Sk1bum, the C-1 and 4000 series preamps sound great when refurbished and the M500t amplifier as well. I own those same pieces and enjoy them. Experiment and see what you think.......grin

• Thank You 4

7 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Of your list, the only items I've listened to are the M-500t and the C-1. Those two are very complimentary together

+1.

My bench/office system consists of C-1, M-500t, JBL4311B. It's a nice combination.

I also have listened to a TFM-25. It has a traditional transformer. Probably good for rear channel use. If I had to power my house with a generator for any length of time and was jonesing to turn on the HiFi, I'd probably go with the TFM-25. The traditional transformer is likely less susceptible to self destruct when running off crap power ....LOL. The Mag coils configs are not going to do very well. 

9 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

a Mint Set of 1979 JBL 4311's.

You need to get rid of these at all cost. I'll take them off your hands ... need my address??? LOL.

Edited by jeffs
  • Thank You 3
  • Haha 2

I'd go C1 with the BillD mod and m500t and get it mkii'd by one of the techs here.  Below is an example of overdoing things.

20191004_185355-1164x655.thumb.jpg.b1b3ac206af39080b9bea5bd2eba1d52.jpg

The Shisa dogs do make a difference. 😉

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome back Tomcatcrew!

So here’s the thing...nobody comes here to “thin the herd” so to speak.

I came to this site looking for guidance in servicing the c-1 and m1.0t I’ve had since new.

That was a bit over 10 years ago. I was guided alright. The C-1has been BillD modded and the m1.0t has been upgraded to mkII Opt II. Both performed by me.

OCCD came with my membership. I didn’t ask, nobody told me. 

Amp count is up to, uh, let’s see, 8. A couple preamps. ALSIII’s, one receiver. And that’s just the Carver stuff I’ve accumulated.

As has been stated, swap gear in and through different configurations. Let your ears judge.

You already have the hard part done - you own the gear.

Have fun!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, xavionics said:

OCCD came with my membership. I didn’t ask, nobody told me. 

Yes, it happens to all of us. You sign up on this site and get a membership. Then you start hanging out here. Then you become infected from the rest of us carriers (enablers). This is worse than the Corona virus.......grin

• Love this! 1

Welcome back, @TomcatCrew - even someone as new to the site as myself recognizes your name, so it's great to have you back, and congrats on retirement!

I can't really offer much input on your question, but isn't that a lot like asking a parent, which child is your favorite?   ;) :)

I think it's safe to say you probably can't go far wrong, and based on all the public opinion I've seen, The C-1 and/or C-4000, along with the M500-T are about as great a fit as you can get, and all are emanently upgradable.  I'd keep an alternate set to use while upgrading one set, and perhaps use the extra amps for surround purposes.  All in all, nothing like being spoiled for choice!!!  :D

• That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I can't really offer much input on your question, but isn't that a lot like asking a parent, which child is your favorite?   ;) :)

There are two correct answers to that:

1.  All of them.

2. None of them. 

:D

• Haha 4

• 2 months later...

I am new to the site, in my opinion it is best to keep what you have, don't sell any gear, it can only increase in value. Congrats on your retirement, and thanks for your service.

• Love this! 2