CT-Seven

Usps/Post Office Rant Thread

Not to derail the XM Thread I decided to create this thread to further expand on @Sk1Bum thoughts on the USPS.

No offense taken, to be honest this place is a work of art this USPS, I have never seen a place where the employee hates its manager and its manager hates its employees so much.

Its crazy to think how our lives cost only ($0.55) the current stamp rate. We have been provided with nothing and given very to minimal instruction on what to do in these times. Obviously common sense does kick in on what I have seen/read over this past month on COVID19. But still its very scary.

We currently do have a positive case in our district but they are trying to shuffle it to avoid everyone from just picking up and going home, again per my above statement we are worth less than the 0.55 cents of a Forever stamp

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 2

Thank you Bryan.

I know there are good, bad, amazing, and amazingly awful people in all groups and organizations. I know that. I get it, and my bad experiences with the USPS far predate COVID-19.

I'll list a some of the others that I can recall off the top of my head.

I've waited in line at the post office only to have the person behind the counter close their window with no warning as I'm stepping up to it, and I had to go to the back of one of the other lines and wait my turn again. They have changed the way of waiting in line so that won't happed again, but it still happenned. I also had a local employee lock the door as I was walking up to it, and it was a few minutes before their posted closing time. That woman looked directly at me through the door, locked it, and just walked away.

I had a package bounce back and forth between Miami FL and a NJ terminal several times until someone finally listened and intervened to get the package shipped to SW MO. It should never have been routed to NJ in the first place. The addressing was readable, and the bar code looked intact. 

And then there's the carrier that didn't want to walk her route anymore, so she lied about loose dogs in the neighborhood until everone in this area had to put mailboxes by the road. All of the neighborhood residents that I spoke with said they had never noticed any loose dogs. 

So yeah, I'm not too happy with the USPS. Others here have written similar stories about FedEx, UPS, and DHL.

I hope you and your family can stay safe.

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 3

Stickers

Posted (edited)

I completely get you both Dick and Dennis, its just sad how some people inside the organization are just oka with doing LESS THAN the bare minimum. Im not saying that I am driking the magical kool aid if upper management as I have only been a carrier for 2 years but, we get paid very good (NOT ME BTW I AM STILL NEW ☠️) to do this job yet very few go above and beyond.

For myself being prior-military it honors me just as much to wear the USPS uniform as it did when I wore the DIGITAL CAMO (well maybe not that combo, what where they smoking?) uniform for the US ARMY.

Its funny how we have two ears yet we dont use any of them when trying to hear the needs of the customer. Its al ME ME ME ME and ME what can I do to my benefit vs the need of the customer that is getting the mail for me to deliver it and in turn get a decent paycheck

Edited by CT-Seven
  • Thank You 4

No hate towards you here Bryan - this is just my view on the USPS operation in general.

As it is operated today the USPS is a government-funded fiasco and it needs to be updated to reflect the realities of the 21st century.

GAO Report on the USPS

One of the few redeeming qualities of the USPS today is it provides a lot of jobs. However, that is not reason enough to let it continue as it has operated for the past 14 years. They have screwed the American taxpayer with their pension and medical benefits "pre-funding" while posting HUGE losses (BILLIONS of dollars) every year since 2006. It creates needless traffic, pollution, landfill materials, etc.

Delivery to everyone's home in the US is stupid. It is completely non-secure. (In an age of rampant identity theft I can't believe companies are stupid enough to deliver credit cards, checks, documents with personal information, etc. this way)

ALL billing should be done electronically. ALL unsolicited mail should be illegal. If you want junk mail you should have to get a PO box or there should be "community" mail boxes (like apartment complexes have) that the mail could be delivered to. You would have to rent the box and collect the stupid junk mail there. Delivering mail to all residential addresses is a stupid model - unless you make it pay for itself.

Last but not least - a stamp should not be "forever" - it should reflect the cost of running the business.

If they want to run it they need to do so in a viable business manner. If people really want stuff brought to their house they should pay for it themselves. It might have made sense years ago but in today's ever-connected world the USPS needs to adapt / change or go away.

• Thank You 3

Stickers

It's too bad to hear about the poor working environment.

From a consumer standpoint - the USPS has obviously made an effort to provide a better "face" to the customer. The counter people are generally pleasant and helpful, perhaps they are graded on their "likes"?

The real problem at the counter is the customer that arrives unprepared to do business. This problem is not specific to the USPS, but all the package carriers. Customer shows up without a box, label, barely knows where it's going, then seems surprised when they need to pay at the end of the transaction?  Much like the person in line at the grocery store waits until the final tally before pulling out their wallet or purse.  WTF?

The forever stamp is a good idea. It's not part of the problem. I'd be surprised if people stock up on these to save money way down the line.  How often do you get mail with an actual stamp on it?  Maybe if I get a birthday card from my Aunt? Can't think of many other times?  On the other side, I barely use stamps, maybe 20 a year?

The real problem is the junk mail that I throw away 100 percent of the time, and never would consider using.  It would be great to see that go away, but I'd guess it's a significant portion of the business and keeps people employed.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

4 hours ago, dennismiller55 said:

A History of Pieing From a Veteran Mischief-Maker

@CT-Seven You are asking for it.  Your post is like volunteering to take your turn in a "pie in the face" charity booth at the annual fair.  

Actually I have no complaints worth detailing here.  My carrier is great.  Stay safe.  

@CT-Seven I don’t have any complaints either. The local HyVee store mails packages which saves me driving across town. And my mail carrier is great also, and easy on the eyes too......grin

• Haha 1

Stickers

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

No hate towards you here Bryan - this is just my view on the USPS operation in general.

As it is operated today the USPS is a government-funded fiasco and it needs to be updated to reflect the realities of the 21st century.

From a Fortune.com article;

USPS warns it might have to shutter by June as $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package provides no funding

But the USPS has also been hemorrhaging money, largely owing to a piece of 2006 legislation, championed by the George W. Bush administration and congressional Republicans, that requires the Postal Service to pre-fund all future retiree health benefits, amounting to at least $5.5 billion annually. That edict, according to Brennan, has led to 80% of the agency’s losses.

...the post office has not been funded by taxpayer dollars since the early 1980s

Please show me any other organization that is required by law to pre- fund 70+ years of pension liability.  It's a 'government-funded fiasco' BECAUSE of the government.

• Thank You 2

I am so fortunate to have the service that I do with the USPS. I know very well what poor service looks like almost every time that my carrier goes on vacation. And yes, I realize that taking someone else place even for a short time will have it's issues. Been there, done that.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:13 AM, gold98gtp said:

Please show me any other organization that is required by law to pre- fund 70+ years of pension liability.  It's a 'government-funded fiasco' BECAUSE of the government.

You saved me from having to say this.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

On 4/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, B-Man said:

GAO Report on the USPS

One of the few redeeming qualities of the USPS today is it provides a lot of jobs.

Maybe half of what they provided even a decade ago. They've streamlined considerably to adapt to the changing business climate and models. Doesn't help a bit when they have to deal with Bozos like Bezos, who talked them into investing big time into package handling, only to pull the rug out with their own home delivery service.

They have screwed the American taxpayer with their pension and medical benefits "pre-funding" while posting HUGE losses (BILLIONS of dollars) every year since 2006.

A little fact checking might be in order ... the pre-payments are REQUIRED by Congress. USPS has no choice in the matter, and agrees it's the biggest obstacle they face as they're not allowed to adjust income (postage rates) and get no subsidies to fund these government requirements. BTW - they're the ONLY business working under the same onus, so sounds like maybe some folk up on the hill got their own personal bones to pick.

Delivery to everyone's home in the US is stupid. It is completely non-secure. (In an age of rampant identity theft I can't believe companies are stupid enough to deliver credit cards, checks, documents with personal information, etc. this way)

Love to hear your Plan B ... wait ... lemme go make some popcorn first.

Last but not least - a stamp should not be "forever" - it should reflect the cost of running the business.

There again - it's actually a money maker for the post office. Lots of paperwork saved when it comes to recovery and destruction of obsolete postage, no lines for what would probably be a couple cents make up postage every other year. Tempest in a bucket when it comes to business users too, as they tend to use metered services and purchase postage as needed, for which they're charged the full approved current rate, which ain't forever, no way, no how.

Edited by sKiZo

What I said ... fact checking?

Got no real beef either way, but some of the rumor I hear regularly quoted as gospel can be a bit annoying.

Like me, I guess ...  ;-}

PS ... big fan of my local carriers and office. Major accident a few years back, so limited mobility for which I receive a "hardship" delivery. Box is right by the front porch on a rural delivery, and any packages are set on a table right by the door. Saves me having to walk a few hundred feet on ice and brave 55mph traffic - no extra charge!

• Thank You 1

I don't need to do any fact checking thank you - it is what it is. Last I checked Congress is part of the government, right? I didn't make a point about how or where the funding requirement was developed - I stated it is a rip off to the taxpayers. Say what you want - we end up footing the bill for it.

What is "rumor" being quoted as "gospel"? Please share.

What's my Plan B? I stated it. Read. "ALL billing should be done electronically. ALL unsolicited mail should be illegal. If you want junk mail you should have to get a PO box or there should be "community" mail boxes (like apartment complexes have) that the mail could be delivered to. You would have to rent the box and collect the stupid junk mail there. Delivering mail to all residential addresses is a stupid model - unless you make it pay for itself."

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Oh boy here we GOOOOO!!!

The new one sweeping the mail stations across the nation, they have a time table where by OCT we will shutter like an old dog.

Obviously I have only been a mail carrier for 2 years so I dont know much. The old timers said they have seen this before and nothing happened. They where going to eliminate Saturday delivery and nothing happened. Same thing with their overtime and nothing happened. 

BUT... I saw something today... they had a sign saying that our start times have been pushed forward by 30 minutes beginning on Saturday. Instead of starting at 8:00 am we are now going to start at 8:30. They credit this to the recent lack of mail but I dont know the PACKAGES ARE UP THE ASS!! People go on rampant Amazon binge buying while being locked at home. NO NANCY YOU DONT NEED THAT 20' POOL FLOAT!! (Thing weighed in at 55 pounds)

I am cutting corners and placing as much as I can in saving while paying off everything I have as if we hit worst case scenario I want to Be ready.

What do you think

#rantover

• That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

Biggest problem with the USPS is not the local post office, or the carrier, but rather the Distribution centers that reroutes the mail towards its final destination.  Chicago hub has to be the worst.  I've had packages held up there for 2 weeks or better and it's only 30 miles from my post office.  Outdated equipment, and slack workers, and poor management are the key problems.  And tracking information?  what a joke.  Half the time they don't even bother to enter the information so packages can be tracked.  Gov. workers on the whole are  very unproductive,  although there are some exceptions.  look to the distribution hubs for the biggest problems and slackers. 

Edited by danowood

On a positive note. I received a package from Dennis Miller via USPS. It made the trip as scheduled and no damage to the box at all. He did an exceptional packing job.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2