It's all gone

Nahash5150

Thanks again all. We really, really appreciate it.

It's stupid to think but...I wish I had yesterday back. My son is horrified and guilt stricken. It went up so fast I couldn't do anything to save it, and I tried. It was a piece of history, hand built before the turn of the 20th century. I feel so ashamed I let this happen. And can't think straight at all while this 'investigation' is going on and all the games the insurance might play.

The fire vaporized all contents. But much of the framing is still usable. It's old, first growth wood. It's like iron. But I can't stand the smell in the air...it's a nightmare.

• Sad 3

So sorry you & Jen had this happen greg!! happy nobody was injured, I am sure it is a terrible loss! hope your insurance takes care of some of the loss! again, sorry you guys had to go through this!! 😞

• Thank You 1

@#$% Greg (and Jen)!!!!!  I just saw this and my heart sank.  You folks didn't need that sort of thing.   :o

Let us know what you need.  I'm sure we have things that can help.  You have lots of friends here who are more than willing to help out.  We're here for you.

I completely understand the smell in the air hitting you hard.  For now, as hard as it is, try to convince yourselves that it's just a clean start on a lot of stuff.

Best wishes to you and the whole family.  

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

There are quite a few old barns here. Most in bad shape, yet each has its story. For some reason, I have had a feeling for many of them. It's not just history. This will take time to get better. An old friend has passed, and I am sorry to hear of it.

Any chance you have photos of it before? It kind of helps.

Edited by 4krow
additional info
  • Thank You 1

So sorry to hear about the fire and all the lost stuff. I've had two family members lose everything due to fire. All the little things were what they kept missing afterwards, the big stuff was easily replaced. Its all that personal "junk" we all accumulate over the years that tugs at our memories. 

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. 

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, 4krow said:

There are quite a few old barns here. Most in bad shape, yet each has its story. For some reason, I have had a feeling for many of them. It's not just history. This will take time to get better. An old friend has passed, and I am sorry to hear of it.

Any chance you have photos of it before? It kind of helps.

I think this is the barn from Google Maps Street View. (I had to verify the address with Zillow and zooming in on the mailboxes, Google gives the wrong location)

IMG_0548.JPG

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

OMG!!!.....That SUUUUUUCKS!!!,    Sorry for your loss my friend..... I am so glad that you and the rest of the family are safe and unhurt, but I am sorry about what happened to the barn and "Good Stuff".  If you guys need anything, give a shout.....Take Care Brother

• Thank You 2

3 hours ago, kve777 said:

I think this is the barn from Google Maps Street View. (I had to verify the address with Zillow and zooming in on the mailboxes, Google gives the wrong location)

IMG_0548.JPG

Wow, look at that. Every one is a unique structure. My garage was built in 1930, and had a woodshop bench and tall wood vise. I have worried more than once that something could easily happen. I like my garage more than my house. There is a connection with these buildings, both in their use and history. Yup, hurts my heart when a loss like this happens. Even when an old building is torn down for no good reason, a loss is felt.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Damn brother - your description on the phone the other day didn’t do it justice, now that I see the picture:-(

I'm grateful you were able to keep the house safe with the hose, and of course glad no one was hurt.

As others have said, you know the number if you need something!

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

6 hours ago, kve777 said:

IMG_0548.JPG

Thank you. Yes that's it. We were fixing it this spring because that massive pine tree was struck by lightning last year and fell right on top of that small part. It cracked a couple of joists and tore up the tin roof pretty good but that structure didn't move an inch. It looks kinda rough on the outside but the inside was in excellent shape. That paint job was 15 years old at that time I'm sure.

There's that infamous sagging corner to the right. It must have happened decades ago. The roof was painted and repaired with that warping place, so who knows how long ago it was. We were going to fix that too.

Looks like someone left my shop door open again... (inside the big opening there)

Pic is probably from 2015/2016.

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

I feel your pain. Old barns / workshops are like old friends - they are just there. You know their good points, their strong points, their bad points, their weaknesses. You can see things needing repair or updating, but they aren't intrinsic to the stability of the whole structure so you do them as you make time.

You put stuff in and things have their place. When you need something, you KNOW where things are. There's space for things you don't know what to do with, future projects, etc.

Let me know when the barn raising is scheduled. They are talking furloughs at work - if I end up taking one I'd love to drive up with tools and my bad-ass camping set-up and help you resurrect your old friend.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Greg,

I just saw this and it makes me sick. I can’t even imagine what you are feeling right now. Structures like your barn including all the collected treasures it held are irreplaceable and the behavior of some Insurers borders on criminality - I sincerely hope your experiences are quite different. Regardless, it’s important that you go forward and I think there are many who would welcome the opportunity to assist in this regard. Please let us know what kind of help you need. I’m very sorry to learn of this yet grateful that you and your family are safe. God bless you.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

I also just saw this and have no words for the loss you must feel. It looks like it was an enormous amount of space. I hope you'll be  able to replace it with something that meets your needs.

• Thank You 1

So sorry, Greg.  Everyone is safe - just remember that.  As dear as the stuff in there was, your family can't be replaced, and moving on from this is a far cry from trying to move on from losing someone.

As always, don't hesitate to lean on your friends - we are here and willing to help!

• Thank You 1