New old audio "head" in N.C.

Good morning all

I have landed here today seeking knowledge and group input concerning my soon to arrive A-760x, more about that later.

I'm into my 5th decade on this planet. I'm a PC service and tech guy with over 3 decades doing that. Audio has been a passion since I was a teenager in the late 1970's -> Early 80's.  I did own Carver C-1 and M 1.5t since new until the mid 90's. I regret getting rid of those. I got back into audio about 2012 or so and have also been collecting and restoring Compact Cassette decks the last 4 years.  I have a LOT of quality tape decks.

I'm here mainly because I am interested in Carver equipment and wish to obtain and service an amp and preamp. I have an A-760x on the way here now which I plan to replace all capacitors in after it arrives.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome.jpg

Welcome!  Love your login name, BTW.  Sounds like you are very much like many of us in background.  When you get to where you can post some pictures, it would be great to see some of that collection of tape decks, along with ones of your system,  of course.

I will warn you of the perils of OCCD, but I suspect it may be far too late for you.  :)  You will find lots of friendly help here with servicing Carver gear (though not from myself - I'm lucky if I can service batteries in a remote).  

In the mean time, relax, and welcome t the group!  And enjoy the music, of course!

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the group. I am sure you will find all the answers you need here. There is plenty of knowledge within this group as I have discovered.

6a7825_dcedab059f7645b9bec6da8632dc7c00~mv2_d_1800_1800_s_2.gif

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the Carversite!  I can feel in the force , OCCD is strong with this one!

enjoy your stay, a lot of info on these pages!

barry

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Yes, I have it pretty bad I suppose.

Having collected 75 of my favorite tape decks and serviced most of them myself in just 4 years. This alone would likely qualify me as "off my nut/rails".

I have a few sets of speakers: Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, ADS, LSA and some entry level Boston and JBL bookshelf standers.

I don't go too high up the food chain with CD/SACD. Mostly Denon, Sony ES and a couple of Technics players

I only have a couple of tables: JVC QL-Y66F and Technics SL-1210M5G.

I have a Kenwood KA-801 integrated and matching KT-815 tuner. I acquired a 1980 Technics SA-818 receiver last year.

I also have a Yammy CR-640 receiver I recapped and added heatsinks the the driver IC's plus LED conversion.

Office duties are performed using a Pioneer Elite C-90 Preamp and QSC power amp right now.

I have a "He-Shed" listening space with a Krell KRC-3 preamp I recapped and McIntosh MC352 running the Prodigy's and a Pair of Crown XTi-4000 amps in mono running a pair of subs I built. A Marchand XM126 vacuum tube electronic crossover blends the subs in very well.

I will probably burn threw several dozen posts REALLY quickly getting up to speed on whatever Carver Preamp I end up with and the incoming A-760x.

I think I really want a C-16

Either that or a C-4000 with a black faceplate transplant to match the A-760x

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 6

Welcome!!!! You will like this place.

I have only been here a short time (just stumbled upon it during this slowdown) and it is much more fun and educational than I though possible. These are really good funny guys who have lots of experience and advise with audio gear and other  less important topics.  They are always ready to help. Didnt know that I would be getting introduced to so much good music also. Enjoy!!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

31 minutes ago, MHzTweaker said:

I think I really want a C-16

There is a C-6 on ebay right now.  That will be a good judge of how much you're going to pay for a C-16, it's the silver model, otherwise same I believe.

The C-6 might be rarer, not sure.

Anyway - it's day1 of a 10 day auction and it's already at $335..... feels like it's going to go pretty high?

• Thank You 3

You can’t go wrong with an updated c-1 or the Black version c-11. Search for the BillD mods, has a nice phono section on these units!

barryG

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome !!  Love the name @MHzTweaker.  Now all you need is an apropos avatar!  Hmmm, gears turning.

75 cassetted decks.  LOVE THIS.

Revealing you have a collection like that, begs for a few pictures, which are your favorites?    (I have this issue with vintage Turntables..., find them cheap, restore them, and they never leave... )

Do you have the carver line of decks?  My favorite Carver cassette deck is one of the earlier ones..., the TD-1400 or the TD-1440..., they just have a look I like. Perform to my satisfaction as well.

carver-td-1440-vintage-cassette-deck-new

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome! You will love that A-760X! I have 2 of them  set in mono mode and they make my Silver Editions sing beautifully until the ribbons blew last week.

Once you refresh the amp, it should provide years of service life. Those  pots protruding from the rear for gain control break easy so hopefully they packaged it properly.

• Sad 1

Hello MHzTweaker, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

On 4/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, AndrewJohn said:

I do have a massive collection of tape decks for sure. I could probably narrow it down to my favorite 20  LOL

Here's a few: Nakamichi 1000ZXL, ZX-9, RX-505, 700ZXE, Pioneer CT-A9x, T-1100s, CT-93, CT-A1, Technics RS-M95, Aiwa Xk-009,XK-S9000, HK TD4800, Tandberg 3014A, Sony K555ESJ, TC-K777, Revox B710MKII, B215-S, Alpine AL-90, Akai GX-Z9100, GX-F71. There are soooo many.

ThomQaA.jpg

On 4/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, AndrewJohn said:

Revealing you have a collection like that, begs for a few pictures, which are your favorites?    (I have this issue with vintage Turntables..., find them cheap, restore them, and they never leave... )

Do you have the carver line of decks?  My favorite Carver cassette deck is one of the earlier ones..., the TD-1400 or the TD-1440..., they just have a look I like. Perform to my satisfaction as well.

carver-td-1440-vintage-cassette-deck-new

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

• Community Admin
10 hours ago, MHzTweaker said:

I do have a massive collection of tape decks for sure. I could probably narrow it down to my favorite 20  LOL

Here's a few: Nakamichi 1000ZXL, ZX-9, RX-505, 700ZXE, Pioneer CT-A9x, T-1100s, CT-93, CT-A1, Technics RS-M95, Aiwa Xk-009,XK-S9000, HK TD4800, Tandberg 3014A, Sony K555ESJ, TC-K777, Revox B710MKII, B215-S, Alpine AL-90, Akai GX-Z9100, GX-F71. There are soooo many.

ThomQaA.jpg

Very nice!

The subtle thing the attentive observer will notice is your shelving unit has them all wired in!  Powered up!  Sweet!  That's not just a "collection" in the closet..., that is some serious integration/configuration.  Can you play them all?

• That Rocks 1

I moved 2 years ago and only in the last 30 days have I unpacked most of these tape decks from boxes. The shelving unit I built myself. It is made from 3/4 inch cabinet grade oak plywood except on the top where it is 2 x 3/4 inch layers so the shelves wouldn't sag. The front frame is solid oak.

To answer your question, YES, they all are capable of playing and recording using a combination of Sony and DBX switchers. I have another 8 deck switcher in my office with even more tape decks and a couple CD Players connected.

d47Atdz.jpg

• That Rocks 3