New Carver audiophile

I just joined this site and love the information that everyone shares.

My system features a vintage Luxman R117 receiver, ADC SS315-X equalizer, Carver Holography C9, 2 Carver Silver Editions being driven by 2 Carver A-760X amps in mono mode.

I also have 2 sets of Bose 301's series IV on front and rear wall.  Unfortunately, both of my 48" ribbons shorted open on the Carvers due to old age and magnets falling apart.

I'am thinking of sending them both in for repairs but it's very costly...$800.00 for both with shipping.  I may just purchase another used set of Silvers or Platinums if they are in great condition and use mine for spare parts.

Also, does anyone know where I can get information on how to bi amp these Carver speakers? Where to buy the  bi amp kit with instructions, etc.

Thanks for any replies.... Tom

Edited by aceman117
Added component to system
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome @aceman117.  Nice gear you have.  Pictures of your rig, are what we like. !!

BTW, make friends with @sea, Ed Atkins, here on this forum.  He is the only one I would trust repair of ribbons on my Amazing's or ALIII's.  He's the best.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Hi Tom, welcome to the zoo!

Bi-amping the Silvers is a DIY job. A few of us have done it.

Make a few more posts, then when you can upload pictures, show us the crossover you have - to determine which series of Silvers you have - and we can walk you through the process.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome @aceman117.  Nice gear you have.  Pictures of your rig, are what we like. !!

BTW, make friends with @sea, Ed Atkins, here on this forum.  He is the only one I would trust repair of ribbons on my Amazing's or ALIII's.  He's the best.

Welcome @aceman117.  PM sent.

• That Rocks 1

Hello Tom, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

Please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome.jpg

Welcome to the site!  Nice system - sorry to hear about the ribbons failing on you.

You will find plenty of encouragement, here (potentially too much).  :)

• Haha 1

Welcome to the site, you will get help from these guys, and then you will get enabled😇😁😎

I started with 1 piece of carver equipment and now I have almost 20, just Carver and Sunfire.......you have been warned😁

• Haha 3

Very cool site! I already have the Carver bug. I bought my silver editions off the showroom floor in 1991 and took them home the same day.

They lasted 31 years before failing and I drive them hard with clean power!

• That Rocks 3