Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

On 4/30/2020 at 9:17 AM, ChrisTFM35 said:

Here's a brisket from the Pit Barrel Cooker.

 

This cooker gets my vote and should be on everyone's list. It's now $350, and can cook for hours and hours with 40-60 pieces of coal. It's American made by veterans and is very high quality. The results have always been amazing. 

Finished brisket.jpg

Plated meal.jpg

Smoker and grill.jpg

 

Making my hungry on this Friday morning. 🍖

  • Thank You 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got into a hobby, if you want to call it that,  about a couple years ago. I went and purchased a smoker and decided to give it a try. Not a pellet or disc but a real log fire smoker. I don't know wh

If I had all the money I've spent on "disposable" grills over the years, I could buy 1/5 of DavidH's system.  🙂 You guys know - all of the gas grills that are great the day you first use it and then s

Here is mine. I made it 25 years ago from international gas transmission line pipe. Mounted it on separate platform with a center peg so that I can swing it around 360*. Once it heats up it can do a s

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, BarryG said:

All of a sudden I’m hungry!

 

This topic can make you hungry. 😁

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of you experienced smokers have a good recipe / instructions for smoking a large turkey ?

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey B- my daughter went to Cordon Bleu cooking school before nutrition and diatetics school and her thing is spatchcocking a turkey where you split the mofo, remove the backbone and flatten it. Seems to take less time and turns out fantastic. She uses some Food Network brine recipe but lowers the salt somewhat and replaces it with more herbs. We have rotised a turkey on my DCS BBQ for decades and try different brines. A brine that stood out one year had orange juice and was herbed quite heavily. Usually use fruit wood for the smoke. We have has some incredible Thanksgivings although I can eat smoked turkey any time.

  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Receiver2000 said:

Hey B- my daughter went to Cordon Bleu cooking school before nutrition and diatetics school and her thing is spatchcocking a turkey where you split the mofo, remove the backbone and flatten it. Seems to take less time and turns out fantastic. She uses some Food Network brine recipe but lowers the salt somewhat and replaces it with more herbs. We have rotised a turkey on my DCS BBQ for decades and try different brines. A brine that stood out one year had orange juice and was herbed quite heavily. Usually use fruit wood for the smoke. We have has some incredible Thanksgivings although I can eat smoked turkey any time.

 

I have done that same thing with a chicken, taking the backbone out and laying it flat. But I just cooked it in the oven. Definitely took less time.

  • That Rocks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I dont care for the spatchocked thing. It looks like flattened roadkill to me but it sure is good and cooks more evenly I guess. I like the look of the whole bird on the rotis with the smoke bellowing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 5/5/2020 at 6:44 AM, B-Man said:

Any of you experienced smokers have a good recipe / instructions for smoking a large turkey ?

 

 

I tried one similar to this and was impressed.   I even opted to put some sliced pineapple in it.  I also forgot to mention but I put a aluminum dripping pan on a few racks under the bird  with a couple of inch's of apple juice in it.  3 or 4 times during smoking cooking process I baste the bird with the apple juice.  I also inject the brine into the breasts and thighs. then soak it in a 3 or 5 gallon pail with the brine solution in it.

 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/apple-brined-and-smoked-turkey-recipe.html

Edited by danowood
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, danowood said:

 

 

 

I tried one similar to this and was impressed.   I even opted to put some sliced pineapple in it.  I also forgot to mention but I put a aluminum dripping pan on a few racks under the bird  with a couple of inch's of apple juice in it.  3 or 4 times during smoking cooking process I baste the bird with the apple juice.  I also inject the brine into the breasts and thighs. then soak it in a 3 or 5 gallon pail with the brine solution in it.

 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/apple-brined-and-smoked-turkey-recipe.html

 

The first thing I read this morning is this? I'm hungry already. 🍖

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Community Admin
2 hours ago, Rob said:

@Brian_at_HHH I am seriously trying to maintain the same weight I was at before we were laid off. 😂

 

I was able to do that, but I sure miss my left leg. :D 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, seems like since work is a bit slow, I do yardwork, sit around checking out the Carversite wondering if I should upgrade while listening to the cool music suggestions that you all make and do some serious recreational eating especially BBQ inspirations from my friends at The Smokehouse. Oh and maybe have an occasional spot-o-whiskey.  I might need to cut myself off from The Smokehouse.

  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah. Always been a carnivore. But I am a bit of a contrarian. I'm still thinking about that photos of that brisket from a few posts back. I need to think about something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa. Carver-nivore heaven!!!

That is too pretty to even eat.

But I would eat it if presented.  Just to be polite. I am going out today to score a slab of bovine flesh and get my rig set up.

  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...