Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Its that time again. Gotta get some meat smoked before heading up north for the weekend. Hope everyone can enjoy the big holiday weekend!

Doing some chicken and a leg of lamb. Been seasoned for 32 hours in the fridge and should taste pretty good. I am using sesame oil instead of the usual olive oil. 

IMG_5265.JPG

• Love this! 1
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got into a hobby, if you want to call it that,  about a couple years ago. I went and purchased a smoker and decided to give it a try. Not a pellet or disc but a real log fire smoker. I don't know wh

If I had all the money I've spent on "disposable" grills over the years, I could buy 1/5 of DavidH's system.  🙂 You guys know - all of the gas grills that are great the day you first use it and then s

Here is mine. I made it 25 years ago from international gas transmission line pipe. Mounted it on separate platform with a center peg so that I can swing it around 360*. Once it heats up it can do a s

Posted Images

I put the meat in the smoker at 6:45. It was dark outside. I waited for 20 minutes before going back and checking the temp. This was the view in the sky for maybe 5 minutes at the max. My house on the left and very good neighbors of ours on the right. Meaning?

IMG_5270.JPG

Edited by Rob
  • Love this! 1

I'm not sure..., but it reminds me of a "Sun Dog", or sunrise halo.  Typically these are found in very cold environments, caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere.  Your image is missing the "false suns" on the left and right.  I wonder if it's moisture in the atmosphere, causing it, sans the ice crystals...

Or could be a Sun Halo..., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(optical_phenomenon) 

Here's what Wikipedia says about "Sun Dogs" ...:

A sun dog (or sundog) or mock sun, formally called a parhelion[1] (plural parhelia) in meteorology, is an atmospheric optical phenomenon that consists of a bright spot to one or both sides of the Sun. Two sun dogs often flank the Sun within a 22° halo.

The sun dog is a member of the family of halos caused by the refraction of sunlight by ice crystals in the atmosphere. Sun dogs typically appear as a pair of subtly colored patches of light, around 22° to the left and right of the Sun, and at the same altitude above the horizon as the Sun. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but are not always obvious or bright. Sun dogs are best seen and most conspicuous when the Sun is near the horizon.

• Thank You 1
10 minutes ago, RodH said:

His Mr. Fusion home energy reactor has overloaded.

17b787e5-96d3-4cdf-a5c1-ed86bb09d2ce_1.8

The name of that sounds like a kitchen bomb.😂

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

As a devout charcoal BBQer (Good 'ol Weber kettle), I have been considering a pellet grill for a while now.  I happened across an ad in the local classifieds for a Traeger grill, brand new, with a dent and a couple scratches.  It's the Pro22, and retails new for $599.  This one was $400 with cover and front shelf.  After a lengthy conversation with @B-Man , I decided now was the time!

I arranged to look at it one night last week, on my way home from work.  When I met the guy in his driveway, he asked what color I wanted...?  My bullshit meter went from about 10 watts (I'm always a bit weary of these meetings, and take appropriate precautions, but that's for another post) to 500 watts.  He must have seen the look in my eyes, and he quickly said that he has quite a few, and that he sells them as a kind of "side business".  Still weary, I look as he opens his gate on his fence, and there, in his back yard are about thirty (30) Traegers, assembled with their covers on.  Turns out there is a Traeger factory (distribution center?) close by, and they sell “scratch & dent” models there for about a $100 discount.  However, they offer increased discounts based on how many you buy – So this guy buys about 50 at a time, gets an insane discount (He wouldn’t tell me exactly, but I think he gets them for about half of retail.  Super nice guy too – after I pick one out, he plugs it in, shows me that it works, and gives me the Cliff Notes on how to run it.  Then he helps me load it in my truck, and I’m off.

Fast forward to Wednesday night.  When I buy brisket, I usually cut them in half to freeze them in two pieces (the “flat”, and the “point”).  Seeing as how this was to be my first experience with the Traeger, I decided to do a “point”, as the “flat” is more desirable, and if I was going to ruin a piece of meat, I didn’t want it to be a “flat”.  So I put a point in the marinate of pineapple juice and soy sauce ( Thanks @Sk1Bum for this simple and effective marinate) Wednesday night . At 6am Saturday morning I put the brisket on the traeger at 225 degrees and went to work.  I told my wife to check it every hour or so, and when the internal temp hit 155 degrees, I told her to pull it off, wrap it in foil, and put it back on.  At about 1:30 it hit 155, and she wrapped it.  I got home at 6pm, and it had just hit 205 degrees internal, so I pulled it off and let it rest for a half hour.  Long story short, it was fantastic, and SOOO easy.  I only used 1/3 of the pellet hopper, and per Brian’s advice I wrapped the drip pan in foil, so cleanup was a breeze.  This has definitely been a GREAT purchase!  Thanks @B-Man and @Sk1Bum for all the help and advice.

354407361_BBQ1.thumb.jpg.17b0ad54cd1540a9ce980415a2115986.jpg

BBQ2.thumb.jpg.6f5386e5c7ced401f10dcb98c21b884f.jpg

BBQ3.thumb.jpg.724cf30a1805b61447e1686885d1bd1b.jpg

• That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 4
1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

As a devout charcoal BBQer (Good 'ol Weber kettle), I have been considering a pellet grill for a while now.  I happened across an ad in the local classifieds for a Traeger grill, brand new, with a dent and a couple scratches.  It's the Pro22, and retails new for $599.  This one was $400 with cover and front shelf.  After a lengthy conversation with @B-Man , I decided now was the time!

I arranged to look at it one night last week, on my way home from work.  When I met the guy in his driveway, he asked what color I wanted...?  My bullshit meter went from about 10 watts (I'm always a bit weary of these meetings, and take appropriate precautions, but that's for another post) to 500 watts.  He must have seen the look in my eyes, and he quickly said that he has quite a few, and that he sells them as a kind of "side business".  Still weary, I look as he opens his gate on his fence, and there, in his back yard are about thirty (30) Traegers, assembled with their covers on.  Turns out there is a Traeger factory (distribution center?) close by, and they sell “scratch & dent” models there for about a $100 discount.  However, they offer increased discounts based on how many you buy – So this guy buys about 50 at a time, gets an insane discount (He wouldn’t tell me exactly, but I think he gets them for about half of retail.  Super nice guy too – after I pick one out, he plugs it in, shows me that it works, and gives me the Cliff Notes on how to run it.  Then he helps me load it in my truck, and I’m off.

Fast forward to Wednesday night.  When I buy brisket, I usually cut them in half to freeze them in two pieces (the “flat”, and the “point”).  Seeing as how this was to be my first experience with the Traeger, I decided to do a “point”, as the “flat” is more desirable, and if I was going to ruin a piece of meat, I didn’t want it to be a “flat”.  So I put a point in the marinate of pineapple juice and soy sauce ( Thanks @Sk1Bum for this simple and effective marinate) Wednesday night . At 6am Saturday morning I put the brisket on the traeger at 225 degrees and went to work.  I told my wife to check it every hour or so, and when the internal temp hit 155 degrees, I told her to pull it off, wrap it in foil, and put it back on.  At about 1:30 it hit 155, and she wrapped it.  I got home at 6pm, and it had just hit 205 degrees internal, so I pulled it off and let it rest for a half hour.  Long story short, it was fantastic, and SOOO easy.  I only used 1/3 of the pellet hopper, and per Brian’s advice I wrapped the drip pan in foil, so cleanup was a breeze.  This has definitely been a GREAT purchase!  Thanks @B-Man and @Sk1Bum for all the help and advice.

354407361_BBQ1.thumb.jpg.17b0ad54cd1540a9ce980415a2115986.jpg

BBQ2.thumb.jpg.6f5386e5c7ced401f10dcb98c21b884f.jpg

BBQ3.thumb.jpg.724cf30a1805b61447e1686885d1bd1b.jpg

I just got to work and now you want to make me hungry? -X-

• Haha 1
  • Community Admin

Congrats Mark! That brisket looks delicious. I've wanted a Traeger for a long time.

If I ever make it out there, can we put that guy on the list of things to do? :D

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
2 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Congrats Mark! That brisket looks delicious. I've wanted a Traeger for a long time.

If I ever make it out there, can we put that guy on the list of things to do? :D

absolutely my friend, absolutely!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Hey Mark - here's something you gotta try:

Go to Costco and buy their USDA Prime ribeyes - they are 1 1/2" thick. Warning: they seem expensive - my last pack of four cost $80. I cut them in half length wise so now I have eight 3/4" thick USDA Prime ribeyes for $10 each - not so expensive now. I season mine on both sides (they don't need marinating for tenderness) and put them in a gallon Zip-Loc to keep the seasoning in and fridge smells out. Make sure they are in the refrigerator overnight before moving to the next step.

Set the Traeger on "Smoke" and wait for it to light off and get settled. Throw the steaks on there and let them smoke for 90 minutes or so. Coming from the fridge into the grill for 90 minutes will have them around 120°F. You can then turn the grill up and finish them as you like.

I did this on a whim and all who partook in my experiment deemed it a raging success. I also did this with their New York strips and they were awesome as well. Other than the time commitment for a simple dinner it is a great way to make a truly flavorful steak. Otherwise, I will go to my trusty charcoal grill for that distinct flavor I can't quite get otherwise in a more expeditious timeframe.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I cut them in half length wise so now I have eight 3/4" thick USDA Prime ribeyes for $10 each

Interesting idea - I hadn't thought of cutting them like that!  Chalk up another one to the tunnel-vision.  I may have to consider that.

The smoking & BBQ sounds perfect, too.  

Tanks for the tip!

That looks awesome Mark. I know you've been wanting one of those for a long time.

21 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I decided to do a “point”, as the “flat” is more desirable

I prefer the point cut since it is much more marbled than the flat. In my experience it has much more flavor and retains moisture better.

Did you do the pull test on your slices?

Keep us updated on your future cooks. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys but no picks this time but just wanted to share a recipe with you. 
I smoked a pork shoulder butt, whatever that is. I didn’t know there was a butt on a shoulder but anyway. Had it in for 9 hours and man was it good. 
Decided to take some pinto beans and a big Vadalia onion and make some smoked ham and bean soup.

I tell you what, that was the best damn bean soup I ever had. You should try it. 

• That Rocks 3