Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got into a hobby, if you want to call it that,  about a couple years ago. I went and purchased a smoker and decided to give it a try. Not a pellet or disc but a real log fire smoker. I don't know wh

If I had all the money I've spent on "disposable" grills over the years, I could buy 1/5 of DavidH's system.  🙂 You guys know - all of the gas grills that are great the day you first use it and then s

Here is mine. I made it 25 years ago from international gas transmission line pipe. Mounted it on separate platform with a center peg so that I can swing it around 360*. Once it heats up it can do a s

Posted Images

I think this one was roughly a 12 hour smoke. I tend to do them overnight, so I try and stay up as late as possible before I put it on. I think this one I put on the grill around 1am.  I've got a nice thermometer that transmits grill temp and int temp, so I wake up every couple hours to make sure the cook is going well.  This one had a major stall right around 160. It even dropped temp for about two hours before it started climbing again. I pulled it at internal temp of 190. I normally do the Texas crutch (wrap in foil) around 170, but I was out of foil. So by the time I went to the store for foil and got back it was already at 190. I wrapped it and let it rest until dinner time.

• Thank You 4

Awesome! Great job!

I'm going to fire up the smoker and make some ribs for tomorrow's game between the bills and the chiefs.

I'll have to make another brisket one of these days. The last one was dried out.

Edited by aceman117
  • That Rocks 1
58 minutes ago, aceman117 said:

The last one was dried out.

Did you just do the flat or cook the point as well? I find the flat is typically much drier since it has much less fat. Experiment cooking both muscles and do the Texas Crutch.

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

I have a tri-tip going in tomorrow.

I'm interested in your tri-tip technique. I've tried smoking them many times but they tended to be chewy. So I've resorted to grilling them over high heat - sometimes doing a turn and baste technique.

1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

Did you just do the flat or cook the point as well? I find the flat is typically much drier since it has much less fat. Experiment cooking both muscles and do the Texas Crutch.

Did the flat...will try that next time, thx!

• Community Admin
2 hours ago, PhilDent said:

I'm interested in your tri-tip technique. I've tried smoking them many times but they tended to be chewy. So I've resorted to grilling them over high heat - sometimes doing a turn and baste technique.

Pretty much like a brisket. Less weight, much less time. I use the Texas crutch too.

• 2 weeks later...