Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got into a hobby, if you want to call it that,  about a couple years ago. I went and purchased a smoker and decided to give it a try. Not a pellet or disc but a real log fire smoker. I don't know wh

Here is mine. I made it 25 years ago from international gas transmission line pipe. Mounted it on separate platform with a center peg so that I can swing it around 360*. Once it heats up it can do a s

If I had all the money I've spent on "disposable" grills over the years, I could buy 1/5 of DavidH's system.  🙂 You guys know - all of the gas grills that are great the day you first use it and then s

Posted Images

I think this one was roughly a 12 hour smoke. I tend to do them overnight, so I try and stay up as late as possible before I put it on. I think this one I put on the grill around 1am.  I've got a nice thermometer that transmits grill temp and int temp, so I wake up every couple hours to make sure the cook is going well.  This one had a major stall right around 160. It even dropped temp for about two hours before it started climbing again. I pulled it at internal temp of 190. I normally do the Texas crutch (wrap in foil) around 170, but I was out of foil. So by the time I went to the store for foil and got back it was already at 190. I wrapped it and let it rest until dinner time.

• Thank You 4

Awesome! Great job!

I'm going to fire up the smoker and make some ribs for tomorrow's game between the bills and the chiefs.

I'll have to make another brisket one of these days. The last one was dried out.

Edited by aceman117
  • That Rocks 1
58 minutes ago, aceman117 said:

The last one was dried out.

Did you just do the flat or cook the point as well? I find the flat is typically much drier since it has much less fat. Experiment cooking both muscles and do the Texas Crutch.

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

I have a tri-tip going in tomorrow.

I'm interested in your tri-tip technique. I've tried smoking them many times but they tended to be chewy. So I've resorted to grilling them over high heat - sometimes doing a turn and baste technique.

1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

Did you just do the flat or cook the point as well? I find the flat is typically much drier since it has much less fat. Experiment cooking both muscles and do the Texas Crutch.

Did the flat...will try that next time, thx!

• Community Admin
2 hours ago, PhilDent said:

I'm interested in your tri-tip technique. I've tried smoking them many times but they tended to be chewy. So I've resorted to grilling them over high heat - sometimes doing a turn and baste technique.

Pretty much like a brisket. Less weight, much less time. I use the Texas crutch too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really looks delicious. We are getting a half a hog in about 2 weeks so I hope to do a lot of smoking this summer. 

• 1 month later...

For Memorial Day, I smoked a brisket. I tried a different technique after reading an article on the ThermoWorks website. They suggested cooking it "naked" for the full cook instead of wrapping it aka the Texas crutch. I wish I hadn't:

20210530_215618_copy_1164x655_1.thumb.jpg.42c330a0f4a791be50fdf4acabbee909.jpg

Trimmed and seasoned - ready to go on the smoker for an overnight cook.

20210531_083848_copy_1164x655_1.thumb.jpg.eff5b09b49be0f02dab84b22e7ece20f.jpg

Mid-cook - looking promising.

20210531_170756_copy_1164x655_1.thumb.jpg.a6820b694d90d668fe03adc667a20669.jpg

This is when it all went sideways.  Internal temp stalled at 183 and would not budge. I had to reload the charcoal twice. It stayed hovering around this temp for 4-5 hours. Eventually internal temp rose and I pulled when the flat hit almost 200.

20210531_183427_copy_1164x655.thumb.jpg.3b850512c4443411b6d5468fed1d02eb.jpg

Not a total failure, but the meat was dry compared to my usual cooks.  The flat was crumbly and the point was drier than normal but enjoyable when you hit a nice vein of fat.  I'll chalk this one up to a $75 learning opportunity.

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

Doesn't look too bad.

No pan of water under the nekkid process?

• That Rocks 1
2 hours ago, RodH said:

No pan of water under the nekkid process?

I had a 2 gallon water pan, which had to be refilled mid-cook.  

Sunday I will be makin bacon. |-| Bought a half a hog and told them I will do my own bacon, so I have 4 large chunks of pork belly. 

• That Rocks 3

Brought out the pork belly on Tuesday I think and rubbed it down with salt and put it in the fridge. Then on Friday morning she cleaned off the excess salt and put her spicy pepper seasoning on it for it to sit for 2 days. Now its time for smokin. I love this homemade spicy bacon. 

IMG_6714.JPG

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

That is going to be incredible!!! My mouth is watering from this weekends posts.

Something occurred to me as I set out yesterday for Ace Hardware to buy a new charcoal-fired grill, which will soon surely be outlawed or regulated out of existence. With cow farts and meat consumption blamed for much of our carbon emissions, nothing could make me happier than cooking a 32oz “Outlaw Ribeye” on my soon-to-be outlawed charcoal burning climate killer. Keep 'em grillin' guys while we still can!!!😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1
7 hours ago, Receiver2000 said:

This is one of those times when smell-o-vision would beat Sonic Holography.

Speaking of "Smell-o-vision"..., has anyone ever been to St. Supery Winery in Napa?  (not trying to hijack, only provide a little side-anecdotal educational bit...) Seems like this would be cool for "In the Smokehouse..." for discerning noses over the pit and smoker... 😉 

St. Supery has precisely this thing..., an abrasive, (sand paper) scratches across some material (cinnamon, pepper, dried berries, etc..., all the "descriptive flavors wine enthusiasts can smell and taste in the taste and after-taste of a wine...) in an enclosed kiosk and a long plexiglass tube (looks like a Bong...) extends, and you then inhale the aroma..., to understand what the "experts" are looking for, and tasting and smelling, in the aroma of a wine...

Educational for the palette, , and entertaining for the kids..., when you have them along for the "wine tour."  😉 

One of my favorite wineries..., remembered by Smell-O-Vision.

St. Supery

Interesting, this concept has been around for a while, in the movies, and Nickelodeon productions had something like it.

From WikiPedia;  Smell-O-Vision was a system that released odor during the projection of a film so that the viewer could "smell" what was happening in the movie. The technique was created by Hans Laube and made its only appearance in the 1960 film Scent of Mystery, produced by Mike Todd Jr., son of film producer Mike Todd. The process injected 30 odors into a movie theater's seats when triggered by the film's soundtrack.

741322193_2-Figure1-1(1).thumb.png.a2d6057fb5dc488270a263b387005bb2.png

• That Rocks 2
  • Haha 1