THE SMOKEHOUSE.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did a first for me - a 5lb. brisket using a rub and cooked in a different manner than usual. Normally I smoke a 12 - 15 lb. brisket and I don't use a rub. I smoke the brisket for 4 - 6 hours, then cook on the 225° setting for another 6 - 8 hours. For this little guy I put a rub all over the meat side the night before. I smoked it for 3 hours and then cooked it for 2 hours at the 225° setting and then raised the temp to 250° and cooked it for another 2 1/2 hours.

The smoke ring is impressive and it was juicy and tender as can be. However, I couldn't tell that I had used a rub on it - and I used a lot.

Brisket Rub.jpg

Brisket.jpg

• That Rocks 5
  • Love this! 1

• 6 months later...

Its the weekend so about time to revive the Ol' Smokehouse!!!

I have a buddy coming into town today and we always like to listen to cool jazz, sip bourbon and BBQ in my back yard. Another bud will join us. Both big eaters so smoking two chickens. The one guy is single so he will take one home with him.

I use a dry rub of basil, thyme, Spike seasoning,  black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. I tear off the skin and rotis two 5 lb. chickens for about 2 hours with mesquite chips in my DCS BBQ on medium. Will follow with photo of finished bird if the bourbon doesn't win.

20211009_170748_compress57.jpg

• That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1

I was thinking about the SMOKEHOUSE  today too. Those chickens look delicious. I am doing up some short ribs and a tongue tomorrow. I never smoked a tongue before so this should be interesting. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Posted (edited)

We had a big ol' bong in college and I remember my tongue getting quite smoked. Seriously, let us know how you do that tongue. Do you marinate it first?

Edited by Receiver2000
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I was thinking about the SMOKEHOUSE  today too. Those chickens look delicious. I am doing up some short ribs and a tongue tomorrow. I never smoked a tongue before so this should be interesting. 

I used to work the graveyard shift at a winery and the Mexicans would all secretly work through their breaks to make up the time for one of them to cook dinner each night. One gentleman bbq'd marinated beef tongue tacos on his turn and they were amazing.

Years later my wife took me to a Bakersfield Basque restaurant she frequented as a child, one of the dishes was pickled beef tongue. It too was amazing.

Apparently beef tongue is amazing.

• Thank You 4

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Receiver2000 said:

Chicken is done and bourbon is low.

20211009_185958_compress4.jpg

Don't laugh, but I have a 20+ year old Weber with rotisserie attachment.  I keep rebuilding it when the parts begin to need it, but nothing grills like it - the new grills suck (my opinion) compared to the American Made Weber from 20 years ago... (new ones are not the same, BIL has a new one, doesn't function as well as mine). 

The best thing about it is the rotisserie. Love that attachment for chicken, and more.  The Rotisserie is the original "set it and forget it" cooking device, IMHO.

Those chickens look incredible - can almost taste them.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

I have a co-worker who is from Mexico and every time we have taco's he brings the meat. And you guessed it, Tongue!  It is good and falls apart just like a roast.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

As a kid, my mom made tongue..., she must've been doing something wrong..., it was horrible, rubbery, probably overcooked..., I dunno...

Will have to try it again.

My go-to meat for fajita's and taco's is always skirt steak.  Can't find it in grocery stores, lately around here - I have had to go to the farmer.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Same here @AndrewJohn  I think my mother used to boil it and leave the damn tastebuds on it. LOL

I will smoke it then skin it. My neighbor is from Mexico and they gave me some pointers. 

All I did was oiled all the meat with olive oil and ground up the black pepper and coarse salt. Also added a little Jack Daniel's Steak rub for the heck of it. 

Tongue is in the middle. My wife wanted part of it so she can experiment with it. She never tried tongue before. 

Ribs are all around with various cuts and carvings.  I will be using Hickory and Cherry logs for the smoke. 

IMG_8949.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Man O Man is this tongue good. Skin pretty much fell off it when I grabbed an edge. So juicy and tender. Never really remember it being so good but smoking it is definitely a great option. 2.5 hours unwrapped and 2.5 hours wrapped. I dont think it could have gotten any better. And the ribs are great also. 

IMG_8952.JPG

• That Rocks 2

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Same here @AndrewJohn  I think my mother used to boil it and leave the damn tastebuds on it. LOL

I will smoke it then skin it. My neighbor is from Mexico and they gave me some pointers. 

All I did was oiled all the meat with olive oil and ground up the black pepper and coarse salt. Also added a little Jack Daniel's Steak rub for the heck of it. 

Tongue is in the middle. My wife wanted part of it so she can experiment with it. She never tried tongue before. 

Ribs are all around with various cuts and carvings.  I will be using Hickory and Cherry logs for the smoke. 

IMG_8949.jpg

I think they blanched the tongue then peeled it like a Baby Bella.

What are you using for your meat board?

I used that white cutting board for background color to enhance the photo. LOL. The upper right piece is the skin.

Posted (edited)

Oops, I forgot to take a picture..., grilled three perfect loin-cut pork chops.  At the precise moment, they called me out, to sit down and eat..., baby potatoes and broccoli medley with a Ceasar salad.  I'm stuffed.  Sorry, it went fast.  Can't share.  LoL 😉 

@Rob, that tongue looks pretty good..., I may have to try that!

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1