Find results in...

MrHP product's

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up some of Wayne (Kingman)'s gear while visiting at Ed (sea)'s house last weekend. It's an honor to own some of his gear. Phase Linear Dual 500. What a beast! It weighs close to 80lbs and

Posted Images

I was thinking the same thing. Not that I don't go through equipment to some degree, but it is speakers that really capture my attention. Only in the last year or so that I have been using different amps just to compare though. Still surprised at time to hear the differences between them. FWIW, my A220 almost tops the list and actually does top the list in some regards. Thing is, every system should have a balance, and the amp that I am using compliments my speakers, as they are just a bit forward for my taste. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
1 hour ago, DrummerJuice said:

Some pretty rare pieces and serial numbers! Beautiful collection MRHP!

Thank you sir. I usually go overboard on my hobbies and this is no exception...lol

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, johndoe123 said:

@MRHPBadass setup! How does that TFM-75 compare to the Carver Research amp? I've always wanted to hear one of those! 

The 75 is definitely voiced and as brute as it is, it tends to put on a plush sound stage with great 3D holographic effect. The needles barely bounce at moderate listening levels. I sometimes hook it up to the 3ohm JL12W7 subs and let it work. It may or may not have shaken my wifes china tea cups off her display shelf😬.

The Lightstar is super clean but not to the point of being sterile. Its a pleasure to listen to, not a hint of harshness but reproduces every note as recorded. If it were to only amp I had it would be just fine with me.  

• That Rocks 2
1 hour ago, kve777 said:

Nice, but can those DQ-20's handle that power? Maybe time to roll speakers...😎

The DQ-20's are rated at 250wpc. They actually handle the big amps really well, matter of fact the bigger the better as they are not highly efficient and  soak up the power. That being said, no they wont handle the full brunt of these big amps and on top of that they are a 4ohm so the 75 is putting down 1000wpc and the 625 is pouring out 1250wpc at that ohm rating. Lets just say I have lots of head room going on here...lol

I would love to try a set of the big Polk's one day.

• That Rocks 4

Here is an older setup with the open baffles. Need to pull this back out and play with it again. I mainly used the baby blacks on these which put approx 3 to 5 watts through each speaker. Incredible detail.

20160702_201736.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 8

Super nice collection of gear.

Silly question. The PT-2400 and the TFM-75 are suggested to be identical internals...

Do you notice a difference at all between them on like speakers and source configurations?   

If so, what's your take on the difference(s)?

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1

I'd love to hear those DQ-20s.

John Dahlquist is a genius in crossover design and was ahead of his time.

I have a set of DQ-12s that I did a full restore (foams, upgraded Regnar caps, repaint, and regrill). While I'm very pleased with my 12s and will never sell them, I would love to pickup a set of 10s or 20s someday.

• That Rocks 1
6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Super nice collection of gear.

Silly question. The PT-2400 and the TFM-75 are suggested to be identical internals...

Do you notice a difference at all between them on like speakers and source configurations?   

If so, what's your take on the difference(s)?

Not silly at all. The 2400 when running thru the DQ-20's is sterile, maybe a bit flat so to speak? I can say this much, the 75 definitely has more personality. Supposedly the 75 has a 1 ohm resistor across the speaker outputs and a more direct path through it's circuitry, this is Some of Bob's "trickery"...lol...to voice his amps and give them that warm sound we all love about his equipment. Now, the 2400 will straight up thunder my JL12W7 subs. The 75 will too but a little softer and will clip easier than the 2400. And I think that is directly related to the "lamp cord" plug wires of the 75. The 2400 has iec sockets and I run big wires on it.

• That Rocks 3
7 minutes ago, MRHP said:

and will clip easier than the 2400

clipping 750wpc amps .... priceless.

I could have got a near mint 2400 for less than $600 a few years back and I passed ..... still kick myself across the room sometimes over that one .....

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, jeffs said:

clipping 750wpc amps .... priceless.

I could have got a near mint 2400 for less than $600 a few years back and I passed ..... still kick myself across the room sometimes over that one .....

Yeah after clipping the 75 btw at 3ohm load my wife's China rose tea cups that I shook off the wall and busted on the tile floor was not so priceless...lol.  You'll get another chance at a 2400 one of these days!

• That Rocks 3