MRHP

MrHP product's

18 hours ago, Will Meyer said:

I'd love to hear those DQ-20s.

John Dahlquist is a genius in crossover design and was ahead of him time.

I have a set of DQ-12s that I did a full restore (foams, upgraded Regnar caps, repaint, and regrill). While I'm very pleased with my 12s and will never sell them, I would love to pickup a set of 10s or 20s someday.

When I used to go in Risley's audio back in the day, when I didn't have two dimes to rub together, those DQ-20's were just such eye candy. They had a pair of Carver cubes mono blocked and a C-1 driving them and I just knew I had to work harder and try to earn enough money to own a set one day. 

I took these speakers to a local hi end audio store to have the crossovers re capped and see if some improvements could be made....they called me and said don't touch them.

Actually I'd love to hear a set of 12's some day. I'm a little embarrassed to say I have a pair of 5's 6's 7's 9's 10's and the 20's...lol

If you've ever noticed the odd numbers are a traditional box speaker and the even numbers are his Phased Array style.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)

Picked up some of Wayne (Kingman)'s gear while visiting at Ed (sea)'s house last weekend. It's an honor to own some of his gear.

Phase Linear Dual 500. What a beast! It weighs close to 80lbs and is rated at 505wpc. I was surprised at how nice it sounds, was expecting a bit of a harsh flat tone but no it's quite musical.

20200606_093850.jpg

Edited by MRHP
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 9

Stickers

Phase Linear turntable, I'm told it's quite rare. Works and sounds great!

20200606_093811.jpg

Lightstar preamp. Check out the preamp remote sitting on top of the Dahlquist crossover. It looks like a mini-me Lightstar amplifier...lol

20200606_094016.jpg

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 5

Stickers

Pulled out the Starret Machinist level for the turntable. Got it within .005 per foot of level, yes I'm OCD and OCCD....LOL

20200606_093639.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
  • Haha 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)

ALRIGHT Eric!!!

Congrats on the new toys...awesome they are from Kingman's collection. |-|

Like I told Wayne, that PL Dual 500 needs the optional solid cast alum. knobs.

You might try @oldphaser or @Bonzoro. They should run about $25 each.

Phase Linear also made an optional cooling fan.

Edited by Dennis47
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

On 4/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, MRHP said:

Small system

Baby Black Magic

CF-275

CF 14-LS

CF 15 speakers

DQ-6c speakers using the subs only

490t

Audio Control Richter Scale crossing over at 120hz

baby system closeup.jpg

baby system.jpg

How did you like the CF-275 with the CF15 speakers? I used to drive mine with a TFM45 and they sounded very good.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 4

4 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

ALRIGHT Eric!!!

Congrats on the new toys...awesome they are form Kingman's collection. |-|

Like I told Wayne, that PL Dual 500 needs the optional solid cast alum. knobs.

You might try @oldphaser or @Bonzoro. They should run about $25 each.

Phase Linear also made an optional cooling fan.

Hey Dennis,

Thanks! This amp has the cooling fan but I'm not aware of the solid cast aluminum knobs. I'll look into it.

• Thank You 3

Stickers

OTD,

The CF-275 works really well with the CF-15 speakers. These speakers seem to be a little power hungry and the 275 feeds them pretty  well. I'm currently running the little Black Magic on the woofers of the DQ-6's and it doesn't make much since but the whole combo works really good together. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

Stickers

Audio Nirvana.....got Kingman's Lightstar preamp running my Lightstar Amp and the Sunfire 625x2 on the subs. Thanks Bob for all these fine products!

20200610_201737.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 3

Stickers

Quick question on the DQ-LP1...

Have you done any upgrades or preventive maintenance?  The general read I get off the internet is to recap it and replace the op amps with new ones of the same part number. Regnar offers an upgrade, replacing the caps and installing burr-brown op amps for $320, which seems pricey for such a simple device. Like the C-1, the transformer has minimal excess capability, so its recommended to take a conservative approach. 

I picked up one of these off CL along with a DQ-1w. My intent is to power it with a spare TFM-6cb I have. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

Mark Lucas did some mods to this one so I can change the crossover points by using the center channel rca's. I really don't know how he did it but it works well. I've been told audiophiles have high regard for this crossover because of its simple clean path. Regnar work is quite pricey, I wouldn't recommend them if you can freshen it yourself. You will like it, and I wish I had one of those DQ-1 subs!

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)

I can follow what he did using the 2 combined center channel speakers. Pretty clever.

It's a high pass filter and instead of desoldering/soldering values on the main circuit board, he modified the circuit to use those RCA jacks as inputs to the high pass filter. I'm guessing he made you several plug in boards with different capacitors on each board so you can change out the boards, thereby changing the range of low frequency that you wish to block/attenuate.

Very nice!

He did a nice job - I like that he added IC sockets on the op amps. Also your pics are hi res enough that I can make out the op amp part number - I'll compare them to what I have in mine tonight.

Edited by Will Meyer
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

Yeah he made it into a really versatile piece of equipment. And yes he set it at a fixed crossover number without the plug in boards and then the value changes when you plug in the different boards. I can take better pics of the internals if you want. 

• Thank You 3

Stickers

On 6/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, jazzman53 said:

Awesome gear but I get the nagging feeling there's just something missing....

I already have a place picked out for the missing gear you speak of😁 

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 3

Stickers

Got the basement system setup, thinking about some different speakers eventually 🤔 

20200816_124418.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

Went all in on some tubes for the 275. E81CC Valvo Siemens pinched waist gold pins and Mullard MC1 E83CC. This combo really sounds great thru the Bozak 302a speakers. 

20200816_123627.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

16 hours ago, jazzman53 said:

You're gonna need a bigger amp

I have those ricked up like firewood...lol

So which amp(s) out of my selection would you recommend? I've wondered how the Cherry's would sound on the stat panels. Are they powerful enough?

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Ed says the 275's didn't get'er done but I suspect a pair of Cherry 180's would.  Of course; a TFM-75 or a Lightstar would suffice.  Even my little TFM-25's make em' sing.   

• Thank You 2

Stickers