If you indulge SACD - RUN, don’t walk, and get this disc!

Daddyjt

I purchased this disc a few weeks ago. Being stuck at home, I wanted to add to my SACD collection.  Listened to some parts of it almost every day since. The audio quality excellent.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, kve777 said:

Is it 5.1 surround SACD or Stereo SACD? It doesn't say...

It is stereo - the only place it indicates is on the actual disc...?

F80182AF-C033-42AB-8DDF-38A39FD6E3D0.jpeg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

3 hours ago, kve777 said:

HERE is an eBay listing for $32.90 shipped! They actually have four of Dire Straits' MoFi SACD's for that price😎

I've bought quite a few recordings from that seller, moviemars. Thanks for the link Kevin.

If you spend over $50 with Music Direct shipping charges are waived.

Damn, Mark and Kevin - you know how to hurt a guy - or at least a guy's wallet.  I keep waffling over getting a SACD player (actually, my DVD player in my HT system will do it, but that's not the good Audio system).  And you come along with these temptations!   **))  

You two are among the worst enabler (or is that best), out there!  I'm proud of both of you!!!   :D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I keep waffling over getting a SACD player

I can't sing the praises of oppo's enough. That said, the prices of 103, 105, 203, & 205's just keep escalating. 

• That Rocks 1

10 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

That said, the prices of 103, 105, 203, & 205's just keep escalating

I bought a 103 a few months back, paid just under $400 shipped ... all original parts and packaging, mint. I felt a little sore afterwards, but didn't want to wait on a better deal to come around. Now I'm glad I did it then. just keep going up ....

• That Rocks 2

Ah yes, the wonderos OPPO's - everyone, here, seems to tout them as being about the best. 

That $400 unit that Jeffs bought would come in, shipped, about $700-$800+ for me (shipped), which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.  

The other thing I have to watch out for is the newer ones are digital only output.  That means I need a pretty darn good DAC to run them through or all the nice sound will be readily converted to @#$%.  That's going to tack on a few more shekles to the cost.  I "do" have a DAC, but it's at the level of "proves the digital output is there."  And as fantastic a job as Mark did on my C1, it doesn't appear to have a Bob Carver designed DAC built into it.  :$

Still, I may indulge and pick up one or more of the SACD's being mentioned - just to have them for that day.

36 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Ah yes, the wonderos OPPO's - everyone, here, seems to tout them as being about the best. 

That $400 unit that Jeffs bought would come in, shipped, about $700-$800+ for me (shipped), which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.  

The other thing I have to watch out for is the newer ones are digital only output.  That means I need a pretty darn good DAC to run them through or all the nice sound will be readily converted to @#$%.  That's going to tack on a few more shekles to the cost.  I "do" have a DAC, but it's at the level of "proves the digital output is there."  And as fantastic a job as Mark did on my C1, it doesn't appear to have a Bob Carver designed DAC built into it.  :$

Still, I may indulge and pick up one or more of the SACD's being mentioned - just to have them for that day.

There must be some Sony ES models up there, no? They play SACD's quite nicely. I only have 4 or 5.😎

@Brian_at_HHH - I have a decent Denon that does SACD and DVD-A that I can send you for nothing but the cost of shipping...  it works great - it was in my sons setup, until I just got him into an Oppo 103 so he could run a FLAC HDD.

• That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 1

Thanks for the offer, Mark - and to others who have offered the same, BTW.  Right now, there is literally a negative amount of space in my cabinet for equipment.  I have 3 new devices sitting there, ready to go in, if I ever get a day off:

1. A replacement DPL-33 (my current one is doing a lot of snap, crackle, and pop, in the rear speakers) - getting a new one was cheaper than getting it fixed.  This will at least fit.  Oh, and I DID change the 9v battery in it! :))
  2. A DTL unit, which shouldn't take any space, but takes more than I have, and,
  3. A H-9AV so that I most different flavours of SH all available to try, now  (nope, no OCCD here! :$).  Again, no space for this and I'd need access to the controls.

As it is my gear has overflowed onto the wall unit, beside the stereo cabinet, and filled that, too.  

Also, since my current CD player is a recorder that I do use (trying to record much of my LP collection), I'm not willing to just yank it out.  

A SCCD capable CD player is more of a longer term goal for me.   I need to see how I can possibly re-arrange gear to accomidate things better.  And truth be told, I DO have a SCCD capable Sony in my HT system, and I could run a digital link from it.  But that just isn't the right solution.

27 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Aluminum-Housed-Wirewound-Resistors-Offe

Building a Conn Organ tube amp? 5KΩ resistors are needed in some with field coil speakers when using permanent magnet speakers. The field coils were used as chokes in the power supply. I just bought a pair for a project. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kve777 said:

Building a Conn Organ tube amp? 5KΩ resistors are needed in some with field coil speakers when using permanent magnet speakers. The field coils were used as chokes in the power supply. I just bought a pair for a project. 

So you, too, are highly resistant?   :-k

What's the project?  😎

• 8 months later...

Well I come back to this forum (long absence) to the mostly same group of guys (all great)  for less than an 1 hour, and I can already feel the money flowing out of my wallet.

THAT never changes.

• Haha 3