Hello from MN

Hello Everyone from the Minneapolis area.  I purchased a M500 and C-1 over the weekend.  It sounded great the little I was able to listen before a capacitor blew on the power supply.  I’ve ordered replacements and am hoping to get it back up and running.  This will be my first attempt at replacing a capacitor but it seems pretty straight forward.  I look forward to learning more about the equipment and Carver products!

Doug  

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome to the site Doug! Nice choice of gear for your first purchase! Good luck on servicing your own gear, a lot of us here do. If you need help ask questions, somebody will provide some assistance......grin

Welcome dfries. Nice score. If you don't want either of those pieces there are plenty of us here that will gladly take them off your hands.  LOL :)    Wishing you great success on the repair.

Welcome.jpg

Welcome to the group!  Sorry that capacitor decided to do an "exit stage right" on you.  Hopefully that's all that checked out on you.  You may want to ponder replacing the others before too far into the future.  There are certainly plenty of folks, here, who can help guide you, and worst case help fix things.

I can't help on the local side (I'm foreign to you), but hopefully someone local will pipe up.

Hello Doug, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

The C-1 and M500 are an excellent pair. I'm sorry to hear that your amp already took a dive, but with old electronics that can happen at any time. Once you get it back online, we'd love to hear your thoughts, (and see some pics) :D

Once you reach Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome dfries- i havent been here long myself but from what I gather,  you are in good hands here. These geniuses (not me)  can help you solve anything. And these guys are much more entertaining than anything you will ever find on TV. Welcome and enjoy!!!!!!!

• That Rocks 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  

I received the new capacitors and attempted the replacement. Good news, the amp turns on and produces sound. Is it fixed?  Sorry, first time with a repair.

While replacing C512 and 513 when removing one of the capacitors I think I removed the copper ring terminal. A few questions on that, it looked like I could still see the line coming in and made sure solder covered it.  Will that suffice?  Is there anyway to repair the copper pad?  I’d hate to have ruined the amp!  The amps been running for 30 minutes is there anything I should do/ look for after installing new capacitors?  Sorry for the simple questions but I’d really like to learn and know what I’m doing. 

Thanks,

Doug 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1