Sign in to follow this  
CT-Seven

Power Tool Gurus Help Me

I have been cleaning out my closet, and I have been very messy with stuff in boxes and whatnot, so I decided to tidy up and put all my power tools in their cases but I realized that one was full of random tools.

So I need a tool box, jump on the offer up and I found one for $10.00 went to pick it up but the kid offered me a circular saw for free with 3 blades. Never owned one so I said sure.

Its definitely vintage from the 50's-60's its all metal made by a company called WIZARD its a 6.5" Saw, now here are my questions. Why 3 blades? The one installed is a black and decker 5.5 combination blade, then the other one is 7 1/4 Combination/Framing industrial carbide 16 teeth. The last blade bares no markings but it looks to be the same 7 1/4 size but with more teeth.

Is there a benefit to having either or blade more teeth = more better and the biggest question I have if my saw is a 6.5 saw will the 7 1/4 blades fit?

No pictures but its a WIZARD BE4001B56

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

6 1/2 blade eh? Now we know why it was free. I wouldn't try a larger blade on it than what it was designed for. It may not fit and even be dangerous. Looks like it has a 3 prong plug, so it is a lot newer than the 60's. Not sure exactly when the change was made though.

On to blades/teeth. 

1) Blades do wear out so, it is not a bad idea to have multiple blades.

2) The number of teeth and other design features will make jobs easier and more precise. What I mean here is that if a blade has more teeth, it is likely to be considered for finer cuts, and crosscut type cutting (across the grain). Those blades with less teeth are generally for rougher work such as framing and ripping along the grain of the wood.

Edited by 4krow
missing info
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

More investigating yeah the 7 1/4 blades will not fit, so I plan to throw up the two blades up for sale to buy a proper 6 1/2 blade for it

• Thank You 1

I really don't know if they make that size anymore, but I could be wrong. Make sure that blade diameter is correct, but don't forget the arbor size as well. I have a Milwaukee 8" and blades are not very common either.

1/2 arbor is common, thank god. Isn't that word universal just wonderful? Let me know what you find. Might not be too bad after all.

There are plenty of 6 1/2 inch blades around. You don’t need anything fancy. If the blade on it is fairly sharp, which you can check with a finger nail, just leave it on and forget about it.  If the blade is toast just buy a cheap one at Harbor freight. You don’t  have much use for a saw  apparently so just get a cheap blade.  They work great with most household needs. 

It will work great for cleaning circuit boards. :|:

• Haha 1

Stickers

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PMAT said:

You don’t  have much use for a saw  apparently so just get a cheap blade.  They work great with most household needs. 

I really do not, but I cannot disregard free, I tossed up the two blades for the same 10.00 asking price and I have someone coming over tomorrow to pick them up.

My only other question is this saw does not have a brake so rhe blade spins if I want to remove the blade, is there an old school trick to prevent the blade from spinning? In order to remove the nut?

36 minutes ago, 4krow said:

1/2 arbor is common, thank god. Isn't that word universal just wonderful? Let me know what you find. Might not be too bad after all.

I found this one
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HART-6-1-2-inch-24-Tooth-Circular-Saw-Blade/459364951

I just have to find a way to install the new one

Edited by CT-Seven

6 hours ago, CT-Seven said:

My only other question is this saw does not have a brake so rhe blade spins if I want to remove the blade, is there an old school trick to prevent the blade from spinning? In order to remove the nut?

maybe you can put a screwdriver across the blade where there is a U gap in between those teeth to prevent the blade from moving, just be very careful gloves are very helpful..

Set the blade at max depth, look towards the center to see if the blade has a "pin hole". If so, put your trusty Craftsman Phillips screwdriver through the hole, rotate the blade until the screwdriver is resting on the saw's main shoe and it should hold it so you can remove / install a blade. There may be a hole attached to an expansion slot or there could be other points to secure the blade. Use caution when putting anything near the cutting tip so you don't bend or damage it. Use an impact driver to loosen and tighten the arbor bolt. Wear leather gloves when handling the blade, especially if it is carbide tipped.

EDIT: I just looked at the blade you posted - it does have holes at the expansion slots so you shouldn't have any issue. Also - be aware the arbor bolt could be left-hand threaded.

Saw Blade.jpg

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

Well that new blade on Walmart was 7 something dollars so what do I do well I go out and buy another circular saw for 7 dollars.

Its a black and decker 7391 and it accepts the bigger 7-1/4 blades I got with the other saw. 

So the plan is to clean them up and sell the older Wizard Saw, I would not want to because its suuuper mint!!

• That Rocks 1