danowood

Memorial day recognition

Danowood I am so happy that you did this. I know lots of Vietnam guys that would thank you as well. I took this at Field of Honor in Castaways Park in Newport Beach CA. The flags are placed along the entirty of a couple mile hiking trail and tied to each flag is a photo and the story about a fallen vet. Very moving.

0521161124-1-1_compress26.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 5

Time to take a pause, and remember all those that have sacrificed the ultimate, for our freedom, liberty, and more.  And, to share a story about those most close to us who served and died, in order to remember on this important holiday.  I look forward to learning your stories and remembering their sacrifices with you.

My father never spoke of his time in the service.  As a kid, I remember him wearing his Navy service uniforms daily until they were threadbare.  he served in the Navy first on LST supply ships to Europe, then in the South Pacific, with post-WWII service in Intelligence. He left this earth with all his stories untold.  His military record somehow survived the VA Records fire of 1974, and I have it - although it's hard to piece it all together. 

IMAG0018.thumb.jpg.16c27ba20f3212537502104eed82e4e1.jpg

These stories of the Greatest Generation fade, but are so critical to pass on to the next generations, so they know and can learn from the past.

I grew up with a little brother, who along with his crew, was the first casualty only days after the march on Bagdad to liberate Iraq began, but in the other theater, over the border in Afghanistan.   That's him at 39 yrs old, Lt Colonel, USAF, on the left, at the memorial service for him and his helicopter crew of the Komodo 11, of the 41st Air Rescue Squadron (The Jolly Green Giants).  The entire crew perished from deceleration trauma when their HH-60 PaveHawk crashed on March 23, 2003 in rough terrain in Afghanistan.  Most details remain classified, although some details have been revealed in private to me from those that new him, or were first on the scene.

DSCF0008.thumb.JPG.f52e01170ab5ef48326b45bd31400b5f.JPG

His friends revealed this photo to me, on April 5, 2003.  The crew, on their way back to Dover Airforce Base.  The entire crew to be remembered this weekend include: Lt. Col. John Stein, Capt. (Select) Tamara Archuleta, Master Sgt. Michael Maltz, Staff Sgt. John Teal, Staff Sgt. Jason Hicks and Senior Airman Jason Plite.  All were outstanding achievers with unique stories.

840163940_sixairmen-hirez.jpg.828754556d822a5b9215dac2adfa1bc5.jpg

Honor and Remember the fallen - all of them.  Teach your kids and grandkids.

This flag flies at my house.

1108745225_HonorandRemember.jpg.641ef50c80f3dd614ffd677719de85e1.jpg

• Thank You 4
  • Love this! 5

Stickers

To those members on this site who have served or family members who have served our country including Canada, Thank you for your service!

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 2

Stickers

9 hours ago, dennismiller55 said:

Saw this last night on the CBS Evening News.  

Veteran trumpet and bugle players discuss the power of playing "Taps"

A little history of the background of taps.  One evening after a battle with both the Union and Confederates were resting Ulysses Grant heard off  in a twilight  distance  a lone confederate was playing taps a he wrote it.  Ulysses was so impressed and move he had his bugler brought forth to hear it  so the bugler could learn it to mock it note for note.  When this was done Ulysses made it the national taps in memory of our fallen soldiers.      

• Thank You 3

I also want to thank our fallen veterans for all they did for us.

I'm 59...I grew up as a teen in a time where most of the general populace in the USA did not have good feelings towards the military.

But, even as a kid, I always questioned why?  These guys did not chose a war to fight in...that was the government. So, no matter what your view was of the military, I understood that these guys were fighting for our country and what it stood for. To treat the vets the way our populace did back in the 1970's was disgraceful.

Thank you to all our fallen vets for fighting for our country and what it stands for. The greatest country the world has ever known.

• Thank You 5

Just now, 4krow said:

There are those who have not seen the end of war, fallen or not. They fight it still within their minds.

Yes...my wife is a psychiatric nurse. She has helped some of them.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Sad 1

In Memoriam; remembering those that gave all on our 72-73 Cruise; a crisp salute goes out to you, you aren't forgotten. RIP LCDR Anderson and AZ1 Cobb!

895842233_InMemorium.thumb.jpg.2b04884f4e933cc92ef06639ac72e980.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • Sad 1

Stickers