Leave on or turn off?

Hello everyone. I'm brand new here and have read pros and cons of leaving your equipment turned on. I have an original, unmodded C1 and an M500t, used exclusively for vinyl playback.

Looking forward to hearing from ya.

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

I leave all my amps turned on but I shut off the APC surge protectors that they are plugged into so yes, I turn everything off...I live in the lightening capital of the world so better safe than sorry....

• Thank You 3

Welcome Davey!!! Good to have you on board!!!. I have no idea but I am certain that one of the electronic geniuses around here will be able to weigh in on the leaving you equipment turned on issue. Good to have another vinyl guy around😀.

• Thank You 2

Hello DaveyDick, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

About your question, I'm about as inconsistent as they come. I shut down all my music gear, and I leave my computers running. I just hate waiting for the machine to turn on.

Once you progress to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome to the forum DD !!! Nice equipment you have there.

What about the speakers and turntable(s)? Yeah, we're nosy like that around here. After 5 posts you can upload pictures - which we fully expect.  🙂

Pros -

Not bending over to flip the switches.

Music playback is available instantly.

Internal components experience less thermal cycling.

Lights in the 500t most often fail on power up so that is avoided.

Cons - 

Electrolytic capacitors have ratings based on hours of operation. Always on = shorter lifespan measured in actual listening hours.

Lights in the 500t are rated in hours of use which is obviously reduced if only powered on for playback.

If a connected component were to fail or misbehave resulting in a high signal level "noise" to be produced, and you are not home to power down the equipment, your equipment and speakers could be damaged.

You should consider sending the C-1 and M500t to Nelion Audio for the C-1 BillD treatment and the M500t MKII upgrade. The electrolytic caps in both units are due for replacement, the BillD upgrade is especially nice for vinyl users and the amp upgrades put the icing on the cake. Greg will make two good pieces of gear spec out into two great pieces of gear - which should last for many more years of listening enjoyment.

Nelion Audio C-1 Refresh With BillD Modification

Nelion Audio Carver M-500(t) mkII Restore and Upgrade

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3

I shut my gear off when I am through listening to it. I have the gear plugged into a ups surge protector and the amps plugged into the wall. 

• Thank You 1

I always turn my gear off when done.  I use a Device that detects when my Preamp turns on, then does a graduated power-on of the rest of my gear.  That makes it easier to turn things on and off.

As for the lightning strike issue, I had a whole house surge protector installed a few years ago, after a strike the street over from me - destroyed everything electrical or electronic wound up on the curb.

I do worry about heat over time, which is why I do like turning things off.

Funny enough, I do exactly the opposite for computers - I never turn them off.  😏

I often leave my tuner playing overnight!  Other than that shut down when not in use!  I usually turn on a while before listening, let the tubes warm up!  We have thunderstorms here, I unplug during storms, lost my tv while watching last week from lightning !

Mine stay on for months at a time and I use them daily. If it were a system with infrequent use, I would power down. With my main system, I power down when any cable switching or speaker swaps occur. Turn off thumps and meter lamp replacement are minimized. If there was any noise when amps idle, it would be noticed immediately because it's normally dead silent.

Come to think of it, it's time to put the PM-1.5 back into the mix. Thank-you and welcome to the fold.

Welcome @DaveyDick

Edited by johnrotten

Welcome aboard @DaveyDick

I power mine down after I"m done with them.  I have mine setup to power off when the TV goes off.  There's a sense relay that opens, I set the TV as master and I've slaved my Roku, WDTV Hub, Onkyo AV, C-1 and M-1.5t to it.  It's a slick way to completely shut it all down since the M-1.5t has no power switch.  I only hear a slight barely audible tick at power off.  There's no noise at all on power up.

• Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Turbo said:

There's a sense relay that opens, I set the TV as master and I've slaved my Roku, WDTV Hub, Onkyo AV, C-1 and M-1.5t to it.  It's a slick way to completely shut it all down since the M-1.5t has no power switch.  I only hear a slight barely audible tick at power off.  There's no noise at all on power up.

Care to share the source for the sense relay?

• Thank You 1

The life cycle of capacitors is a function of time and heat.

The life cycle of transistors is a function of time over switching operations.

The functions...they don't give a clear answer...

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

I have been leaving the power on, and I think I will start to power them down after use. As far as my setup, I have the m500T powering the all black version of KEF's LS50 - which I am in love with. I have a Rega P1 (2016), my first turntable. I have upgraded the cart to a Nagaoka Mp-110 and the subplatter to a Tangospinner double zirconia upgrade.  

I am going to be updating/upgrading my C1 in the next week or so. I live in Ontario close to the GTA and have used Drago in the past for my Luxman gear and found him to be amazing. He is very familiar with Carver gear so I feel comfortable using him.

• Thank You 1