New Member with ALS Plat Mk IV's

Hello to you all!

I was referred here by Paul. After listening to his Carver setup of amps, pre-amps, processors, and most significantly his Amazing Silver's, I was so bowled over with the real life listening experience, I had to purchase a set of pristine ALS Platinum MkIV's in oak that were available for local pickup. The good man that Paul is, he went with me, in HIS Suburban, to inspect, pickup, load, and then setup at my house. What a DUDE!

I spent four hours adjusting positioning of speakers and listening couch. When I finally did the right toe-in just right, the stage snapped into focus but also expanded in width and depth. I've been enjoying listening sessions, morning and night, but also notice the sound is great throughout the whole house. It's natural, smooth and un-strained. Piano and strings are sooo lifelike!

I'll post a couple pics soon, but wanted to make and introductions and also send thanks to Paul

Regards and Happy Listening,

Albikes

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 8

Welcome Albikes!!!  Good to have you with us. Sounds like Paul has been  a real good nudge😁 to get you in the right direction. Good to hear!!! You will like it here. Lots of great guys who are dang knowledgeable and most of all,  just a whole lot of fun. 

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome to the site ! @Albikes

I am guessing that your avatar will need to be a picture of you and Paul setting up the Amazings!

I am assuming (correct me if wrong) that Paul is @PMAT in NorCal?  If not, let us know which Paul to rib for "enabling"  LoL!

Welcome, you will like it here.

Post a few more times, and you'll be able to upload pictures.  How about telling us what components you have in your system?

Welcome!

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome Albikes! You do realize that you have just been infected with something worse than COVID-19 right?.......grin

Congrats on your purchase and setup of your speakers! When you get enough posts, send us a picture of your system.

Most of all, we hope you enjoy the site. It’s a great place to hang out........grin

• Haha 1

Welcome.jpg

Welcome!  Nothing like diving straight in at the deep end!  I'd warn you of the perils of OCCD, but it's clearly WAY too late, so instead, Welcome to the Club, and Enjoy!

• Haha 2

Hello Albikes, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. I guess you know that already. :D

Nice score on the Plats. Plats are great. I picked up a pair of heavily modded Plats just over a week ago. Love 'em.

Now that you reached Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome Albikes. Great group of people here with endless knowledge. Enjoy!

Fotolia_9058674_XS.jpg

Edited by Rob

Hello Reciever2000!

Yes, looks like a great group. Thanks for the welcome. Your user name reminds me that I had a Receiver2000 from 1988-2000 running some Pollk RTA-8's. I loved the Sonic Holography included!

Cheers,

Albikes

Hello AndrewJohn!

You are correct Sir! Paul is PMAT! He told me that this is a nice community here, and its proving true. Thanks for the welcome!

Albikes

I love all the fancy graphics and welcomes! Thanks Guys!

• Thank You 3

For the record, albikes is a complete audio nut job. I met him when he tried to buy some speakers of mine and because of COVID-19 I just dropped  them off at his house to audition. His gear made me stop and question reality.  We can get into that another time but I left thinking WTF?  A few days later this cat drops off a 3 box preamp worth all my gear several times over, and some expensive  connects, for me to listen to for a couple of weeks. That’s how much of a nut job he is! My kind of guy. When I get a chance I will Start a thread on some really cool listening experiences.  Oh, and he scores an incredible set of modified Mk IV Plats for stupid cheap. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 3

• Community Admin
7 minutes ago, PMAT said:

For the record, albikes is a complete audio nut job. I met him when he tried to buy some speakers of mine and because of COVID-19 I just dropped  them off at his house to audition. His gear made me stop and question reality.  We can get into that another time but I left thinking WTF?  A few days later this cat drops off a 3 box preamp worth all my gear several times over, and some expensive  connects, for me to listen to for a couple of weeks. That’s how much of a nut job he is! My kind of guy. When I get a chance I will Start a thread on some really cool listening experiences.  Oh, and he scores an incredible set of modified Mk IV Plats for stupid cheap. 

Why did I ever leave Novato...,   LoL.  What an experience!

• Haha 3

@PMAT sounds like @Albikes will fit in here, perfectly.  :)  

We definitely have all levels of audio nutcases um, er, addicts, here!  

Enabling one another seems to be rather strongly encouraged.  :D   Not that "I" would have noticed, or contributed ....  :$

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, PMAT said:

Ahem. Details.

• Haha 1

Yep! I’ve had the audio fever since I was a teenager. First listening to my father’s JBL Paragon console speakers, then customizing sound systems in cars. There I loved my first good set of A/D/S 300i plate speakers. Oops,

popped the woofers too many times. 

If only I had put that time, effort, and money into home listening way back then. Well, here I am now, having rebuilt the system starting way back in 2009. 

Here’s the description the seller had for the  Plat MkIV’s:

Moving must sell: A like new pair of completley restored, Carver Amazing Platinum Edition Mk IV, dipole woofer- ribbon loudspeakers. Featuring all new 12" OEM open panel design woofers (8 total), with flawless Carver 60" ribbon drivers (these Carver ribbons are the same 60" ribbon driver’s used in the Genesis Model 1.1 flagship speaker developed by the late Arnie Nudel, of Infinity IRS fame). This is a Light Oak finish pair, with all ribbon/woofer drivers tested & working perfectly. The original Carver Mk IV crossover's, have been upgraded, with superior quality components installed by former Carver Corp. head service tech. The upgrades include: new high grade electrolytic capacitors, coil inductors, resistors, and L pad trim level controller‘s replacing the original crossover components (24 total).

I’m the original owner, having purchased new from Simpson Electronics, in Alexandria, LA. This speaker pair, originally shipped from Carver Corp. to Simpson Electronics, as the Platinum Mk III version, with the Mk IV crossovers purchased separately from Carver Corp, and installed by owner/seller after the speakers were received from above dealer (some minor parts changed by Bob Carver, for voicing improvements between the Mk III & Mk IV crossovers). The Mk IV crossovers, have been updated with new components, as specified above, during installation of new woofers. The replacement woofers, are the original Carver OEM spec, 12” open panel design woofers, sourced directly from Dynavox.

And everything is in beautiful cosmetic and sonic condition!

@PMAT Paul and I are looking forward to taking the grills off to inspect wiring and crossovers 😃

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3

Nice!

I too would like to see the new and improved crossovers.

Welcome to the Hotel Carverfornia. You know how the rest of it goes.

• That Rocks 2

I would also like to send a thank you to Craig Banks who sold me the speakers. I saw his add back in October, but decided I had too many old speakers collected and stored in closets and the garage.

Craig was always quick and courteous in his reply to speaker questions. When I had the idea dawn on me last Sunday that I NEEDED his fine Plat IV’s , he knew they were going to a good home. With a verbal agreement he said he would hold them for me ‘til he had to move. Of course, I couldn’t, and you wouldn’t either, wait to go

get them. 42hrs later they were playing majestically in my living room! 😃

Here’s the add that was on US Audiomart:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649603885-carver-amazing-platinum-mk-iv-speakers-fully-restored-as-new/

• That Rocks 2

Your acronyms have me confused 🤷‍♂️ 

BTW:

The speakers are 54-3/4” from front wall, the sides are 16-3/4” from the sides, ribbon is 77” apart c/c. They are toed-in 7”, listening spot is 10’-10” back from the plane of the ribbons.

😜

• That Rocks 1