New Member with ALS Plat Mk IV's

19 hours ago, Albikes said:

I would also like to send a thank you to Craig Banks who sold me the speakers. I saw his add back in October, but decided I had too many old speakers collected and stored in closets and the garage.

Craig was always quick and courteous in his reply to speaker questions. When I had the idea dawn on me last Sunday that I NEEDED his fine Plat IV’s , he knew they were going to a good home. With a verbal agreement he said he would hold them for me ‘til he had to move. Of course, I couldn’t, and you wouldn’t either, wait to go

get them. 42hrs later they were playing majestically in my living room! 😃

Here’s the add that was on US Audiomart:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649603885-carver-amazing-platinum-mk-iv-speakers-fully-restored-as-new/

I saw that ad, and sighed because they were too far away. Good on you for giving them a proper home!

CarverSiteWelcome.jpg

Edited by weitrhino
  • Haha 4

Thanks for getting the pics up @PMAT !

I was lucky enough to hear two systems yesterday. Paul’s which is set up so nicely and integrates perfectly in his room. We played Dire Straits, and SRV Tin Pan Alley. I was impressed with bass and detail. Happily, after bringing the loaner Iconoclast SPTPC speaker leads back to my home, the big Plat IV’s we’re conveying that same magic  😃👍

Albikes

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

• Community Admin

Thanks, @PMAT and @Albikes.  That is a very nice, clean, room.  

The design concept of the amps, in the corners, has me rethinking my "imposing" main rack entirely, in a dramatic and radical way... (getting rid of it!). 

BTW, is that Bowie in the painting/lithograph on the back wall, right side?

• Thank You 2

Hello AndrewJohn,

The painting behind the right ALS is Bowie! A favorite music legend for so many of us. My buddy Tom Matousek painted this two years ago.

http://tommatousek.com/index.html

Its the second piece I commissioned from Tom. First was Elvis Costello. It’s an amazing process he goes through in creating these beautiful images. It’s all done by hand with oil paint 🎨 and a small #1 brush to apply the pigment in each block. 

I’ll try to get some pics posted soon. They keep wanting to be displayed on their side rather than upright 🤷‍♂️

• That Rocks 3

Pretty much the same biggest difference is they are heard best when standing up as opposed to seated, when trying for loud the 2 speakers work like they are one (almost). But if I just want quality I always pick the Plats to go by themselves.

Albikes did the previous owner mention if he had come on this forum in the past? Just curious because the xover layout looks like the set up a person did on here before.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Craig said it was a tech from Carver that did the rebuild of the crossover and put the new woofers in. Maybe that’s why it looks the same. Supposedly the upgrade was done about a year ago. I don’t know if he ever posted here. I’ll ask .

Albikes

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

14 minutes ago, jazzman53 said:

Welcome Albikes, 

I won't end with just speakers...too many enablers here! 

Us?

1580484501737.gif

• Haha 5

When the OP gets his main speakers back I am going to redo his Plat crossovers correctly for him And modify them to be bi-amped. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

@PMAT  made some really cool outboard crossovers for his Silvers, can’t wait to see what these Plat IV’s need. They sound great to me as is, just imagine it getting corrected and better 😃

• Thank You 1