kve777

SOUNDSTREAM C-1 PREAMP ROAD TRIP

Ok, I hooked it up to my main system:

Pioneer 414 dvd player

SUMO Charlie tuner

Acurus LS-11 preamp

SAE A205 amp

Magnepan 1.5 speakers

I replaced the LS-11 with the Soundstream C-1 and played some CD's and listened to the radio, more bass, the highs sound so real it's amazing, I was hearing things that I had never heard before. I think that the Acurus is a little veiled compared to the C-1, the presentation is a bit dry, and lacking that last little bit of high and low detail. The midrange of the C-1 is spot on, it sounds real to me, you hear the studio or the venue where it was recorded, all the background sounds come through, as do all the "stereo" gimicks that the record producers use. It's surprising how much is in the recording that I wasn't hearing before.

My wife asked me to crank it this morning, she loved it.

So I'll be sending the LS-11 on to Steve Ford next week, I hope he enjoys it.showing-tongue-015.gif

OK I'll send the C-1.emcry.gifemwink.gif

I think you are in for a treat, Steve.
My latest(and working!) Soundstream DA-1 amp arrived today. I pulled the PM-1.5 and M-400t, hooked up the DA-1(200WPC) to the C-1, T-1, Sony ES CD changer.MK-II tube buffer, too. I might have to be banished from the Carver Site! Now to refoam the woofers on a pair of JBL L96's. They should sound great here. M-400t and PM-1.5 are for sale!

Stickers

I hooked it up today and let everything warm up for an hour or so before giving it a spin.

It's a nice piece - I used it with the tone control bypassed for the most part and only listened to CD as the tuner didn't work for whatever reason.

The headphone stage sounded really nice and was quite a bit better than the one in the Jolida.  There was much better bass through the Soundstream; piano sounded really good, for instance.

First up was Randy Newman's 12 Songs burned from vinyl which sounded quite good.  Some stuff sounded a little transistor-y but nothing major. 

Up next was Zappa's Apostrophe and compared to the Sonic Frontiers unit, everything was pushed back and it didn't have the same 3-D effect or punch of the tube unit.

Don't take this as a negative review as it's kind of an unfair comparison.  The two preamps were made for different price points.  The Sonic Frontiers was probably ungodly expensive when new and is simply in a different league. 

For a bedroom system with smaller speakers I think that the Soundstream would be an economical choice which would provide hours of enjoyment.   I could be quite happy with it right here in the spare bedroom with a pair of MMGs and wouldn't feel the need to upgrade.

Thank you for letting me try it and I'll get this off to Stereo Dog next weekend.  Work gets in the way of my shipping anything during the week.

How much should I insure it for?

The Soundstream arrived today. Opened it up to make sure what it was. I will probably get it hooked up this weekend or early next week, got busy in the last few days..... looking forward to trying it out.

The Soundstream arrived today. Opened it up to make sure what it was. I will probably get it hooked up this weekend or early next week' date=' got busy in the last few days..... looking forward to trying it out.[/quote']

Get it hooked up yet?

Stickers

Guest chrisdors

Just joined to post on this thread... I've had a soundstream C-1 for a while now and can't believe how good it sounds for the money these days. They were very pricey when new, sold for 1500 new. I laughed reading the first post as it's the same thing I felt when first using the pre. Looking forward to other members thoughts on the C-1 in the future.

Use it in my office and love it more each year.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/chrisdors/stereo/2cf46684.jpg

Chris

Just joined to post on this thread... I've had a soundstream C-1 for a while now and can't believe how good it sounds for the money these days. They were very pricey when new' date=' sold for 1500 new. I laughed reading the first post as it's the same thing I felt when first using the pre. Looking forward to other members thoughts on the C-1 in the future. Chris[/quote']

Welcome, Chris!

Do you have other Soundstream gear?

Stickers

Guest chrisdors

I have a T-1 as well. Nice tuner- but not amazing.

Chris

Guest chrisdors

Well- in the office with the C-1 and T-1 I have an onkyo integra m-504 for an amp... Using a Sony dvp-s7000 as a transport to a Cambridge Dacmagic. I just sold my Rega Apollo and am between speakers now- demo'ing a pair of vandersteen VLR's currently. In the HT room I have a marantz sr6004 and B&W 703's w matching center and surrounds. I have a REL sub in there as well. Only use ps3 as source in there.

I won't be able to audition the unit, sorry, but as soon as it arrived, I got swamped & bogged down with work. I can ship it out tomorrow to whoever is next in line, if they get me their address. I haven't even checked my messages for a few days, Gary called me to see what was going on, thanks Gary.