Sign in to follow this  
Goob

What class is Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Five Channel Amp (Connecting REL Subwoofers)

Hi,

What class amp is the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Five Channel amp?

Does it have Differential Outputs?

I want to hook up a pair of REL Subwoofers, using their high level Neutrik connector,  the hookup is dependent on the type of amp.

I posed this question to REL and their response was that the amp was Class D and that the negative speaker output terminals on the amp do not reference ground.

- Twist together the red and yellow wires of the right channel subwoofer's high level cable and connect to the front right channel positive speaker output terminal on the amplifier.
- Twist together the red and yellow wires of the left channel subwoofer's high level cable and connect to the front left channel positive speaker output terminal on the amplifier.
- Leave the black high level wires for both subwoofers disconnected, and with tape covering the copper end of the wires. 

Assuming that you are using the Oppo UPD-205 as the preamp/processor in this system, you can then connect the .1/LFE input on the REL subwoofers to the designated RCA subwoofer outputs on the back of the UPD-205 using standard RCA cables. This RCA connection will provide a ground reference between the subwoofers and the rest of your electronics.

I have an Oppo UDP-205 directly hooked up to the Sunfire, my main speakers are Carver AL iii's

Thanks,

Gary

• Thank You 1

Hello Gary, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. One of them more knowledgeable than myself on the Sunfire amp will surely chime in.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Stickers

Hey Gary,

I don't quite know the answer to your question either but there are people on here that have extensive knowledge of all things audio. This much I know.....You have one super nice amp on your hands! Enjoy the music and play it loud!

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

Posted (edited)

Hi Goob,

The outputs of that amp should be referenced to ground.  Here's snippet of the schematic....

image.thumb.png.969e98a665d2010a90fea116946944d6.png

Edited by teecelly
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

The description that you have referenced is to be used if the source amplifier is a class D amp, or likely any amp that does not have the low side of the amp output referenced to ground. An amp with one side inverted could also present a problem if you were using the .1/LFE input as well as the high level outputs.

The REL Subs seem to have the ability to use both the high level inputs via the neutrik connector as well as the .1/LFE channel simultaneously.

If used in this manner, the low sides likely need the same reference ... just a guess without seeing the schematic of the REL.

The schematic shown indicates the low sides of the amp are ground referenced. The amp is NOT a class D. Put an ohm meter on one of the input RCA shields and one of the amp low side outputs. As long as these are connected, you can hook this up normally without using the .1/LFE connection if you don't want to. If you plan on using that connection directly to the OPPO, I don't see a need to leave the low side of the high level inputs floating. If you left them floating, you would have problems if you disconnected the .1/LFE channel.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Thanks teecelly for the schematic.

It clearly shows that the outputs are referenced to ground.

The Sunfire manual didn't mention what class this amplifier is.

I reread Bob Carver's whitepaper regarding this amp from this site and it mentions the following in the Circuit Description - Amplifier Section:

"It is heavily biased into the Class A region for small signals and Class AB region for large signals."

So the amplifier is Class AB.

RodH:  I read that review somewhere adding to my confusion!

jeffs:  Yes, the REL support person incorrectly indicated that the amp is class D.  I plan to use both the high level inputs and the .LFE channel simultaneously.

For two channel music, there'd be nothing coming in over the .LFE channel (I have my front channels set to Full-Range on the Oppo).

For 5.1, somehow the REL's can handle signals to the .LFE input and the signals to the high level inputs

both at the same time.  Hmmm, not sure how the RELS's accomplish this.   I wonder how it can handle two signals at the same time (I'll ask REL)?

But that's what I want to able to use the REL's subs for, to augment the bottom end for my mains and for the .LFE channel.  I'm planning on redirecting the bass from the centers and the rears to the sub.

I agree with you that I should be connecting the black wires to the negative speaker terminals.

Gary

• Thank You 2

26 minutes ago, Goob said:

For 5.1, somehow the REL's can handle signals to the .LFE input and the signals to the high level inputs

both at the same time.  Hmmm, not sure how the RELS's accomplish this.   I wonder how it can handle two signals at the same time (I'll ask REL)?

It's just summing them together somehow. It seems to be one of their selling points:

Stickers