New guy, thanks to all members

Can anyone provide pics/info on wiring of a pair of Original Amazing speakers? Recently purchased set appear to have been worked on by an amateur, i.e. taped splices, bad solder joints, flipped ribbons and terminal cups, etc.  All eight 100 W, 4 ohm Taiwan drivers and 4 ribbons emit sound, albeit very little even with amp near clipping. Using all Carver head gear including a M-4.0t amp. This source setup blows me out of the room with a homebuilt pair of bass reflex using a Dayton 12" woofer (4 ohm), crossover, mids and tweets from Parts Express. Needless to say I am underwhelmed and not amazed by the Carver speakers.  Any help with factory configuration, suggestions for bi or tri amping such as 2 M4.0t for woofers, 2 or 1 M-400 for ribbons, of course with additional crossovers and wiring from terminals to drivers.  Purchased at reasonable price, could replace all crossovers and use 3" coil 450W RMS woofers for decent upgrade cost. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• Thank You 2
  • Sad 2

Welcome aboard. I'am sure you will hear from some of the experts on this site to help you with the wiring on those Carver Original Amazings.

If it were me, I would purchase the direct replacement Dynavox woofers and have SEA (Ed Atkins) rebuild the ribbons for you if they are buzzing or not working properly.

I'am sure you have the two 30" ribbons per speaker, correct?

You can cut the two leads on the ribbons and do a continuity test to see if there are any open shorts on the ribbon material. Usually, when the ribbon goes out the woofers will work but emit very low muddled noise and may place your amp in protect mode or blow fuses on your speakers.

These speakers were called Amazing for a reason. Altering the stock drivers may not result in the same Amazing clarity of sound as the subs tie in perfectly with the ribbons via the stock crossovers. If you install those 450 watt subs I would bi amp the speakers and eliminate the passive crossover unless you have someone build you a set of passives to match your subs and ribbons together.

I removed my stock crossovers and bi amped my Carver Silver Editions, installed 6 Dynavax 12" subs and had SEA rebuild my 48" ribbons....Talk about beautiful sound!!! They sound better now than when I bought them 30 years ago off the show room floor!

There are a set of OEM Amazing crossovers on Ebay for sale if you stick with the stock Dynavox subs.

Edited by aceman117
  • Thank You 1

Hi Jojo, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. All flavors of the Carver Amazing Loudspeakers are popular here. I recently picked up a pair of heavily modified Platinums. I don't know much about the internals, but there are many here that do. I'm hoping one of them will chime in here.

You can download the service manual for them here:

https://thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver ALS Service Manual.pdf

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome.jpg

Welcome @JoJo!  Sounds like somebody did a number on those speakers.  As long as the ribbons are actually okay and the main drivers work, it's likely going to be a reasonable effort to restore them to decent working order.

I can't claim to have heard an myself, but by all accounts from people I trust, when working properly, Carver Amazing's live up to their name.  SInce yours clearly are not, it sounds (no pun intended) like there's something technically at fault.  Your amp and all should certainly be able to blow you out of the room - that setup should be able to rock a good sized stadium.  

SInce neither of your speakers seem to be doing much, I would hazard a guess that you are right to be looking into the crossovers.  Something in there is not passing signal to the drivers.  If it were just a driver gone, I would expect some of the woofers or one ribbon or the other to be giving you sound.  Perhaps something is cross connecting the cables thanks to the meddler?  Hopefully not, as that would be very bad for most amps.  

There are definitely folks, here, who are very adept at how to create good working crossovers for these speakers.  Also, in a pinch, there's at least one person on the group who I think still does ribbon repair.  

So hang in there - I'm sure there's enough guidance here to get them singing properly, again.

Enjoying all the different Welcome pics and comments. Purchased the eBay original crossovers, should make it easier to refurb the speaker pair. The ALS manual is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks to all for the assist. Will update with more info and rebuild results when available.  Stay safe.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome!  

When you get the crossovers, please post some pictures of your project!  

We love pictures!