aceman117

Any muscle car owners?

Way back in 1980 I bought a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 454 LS5 with a Muncie m22 Rock crusher tranny and highway gears.

It was fathom blue with white stripes and black interior.

I paid $800 for it and sold it for 2500 in 1984 because I couldn't afford the gas.

It cost me $5 a day to go back and forth to work which was $100 a month not including cruising and racing.

Back then I think I was making $12 per hour. This vehicle is now worth anywhere from 45 - 75k

Wish I would have kept it!

Barrett-Jackson and Mecum really jacked up the prices.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 6

This was mine back in the early 80's.  67 GTO Hurst duel gate shifter 400 CID 389 steel crank, Ramair 4 heads, aluminum intake, Mallory dual point, 3.91 rear end and 400 turbo trans. I too wished I kept it. 

IMG_2908.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 7

Stickers

I bought a 1966 GTO in 1974. I bought it from the original owner who had a baby and wanted a 4 door car. I traded him a 64 Bonneville and $300 for it. Drove it for a year and then it got stolen. I loved that car!

• That Rocks 1
  • Sad 4

Posted (edited)

I bought a 1970 Pontiac GTO Ram Air with a 4 speed from the original owner in 1981.  It was in terrible condition, he wanted $1175 and I found it listed in the Big Nickel here in Ogden.  I was in the Air Force stationed at Hill Air Force base here in Roy Utah at the time.  I went to the America First Credit Union on base and applied for a loan and the most they would lend me was $500 bucks. 

So I went out to his place in Ogden, took a look at the car and was amazed that it was really an original Ram Air 4 speed car and still had all the correct items including the Ram Air hood plate, carb pan and Ram Air knob below the dash to open the flapper doors in the hood scoops.  I offered him $500 for it and he turned me down.  But I gave him my barracks room phone number in case he changed his mind.  Upon walking into my room in the barracks, he called me to come and get the car for $500.  My best buddy drove my 68 GTO we used to tow it home with.  Apart from my kids and Wife, I'd say this was and is by far and away the best investment I've ever made in my life.

I restored the car in 1985 and submitted pics, to the UltimateGTO.com website in March 2003, that I took of it out on Antelope Island back in the summer of 2002.  I was emailed by Jeff Klein(Webmaster) the next day telling me to keep a look out on the website since he and his wife picked my car as the pic of the week for March 30th 2003.  Oh, and in rare form, Jeff also published the letter I sent to him along with my pictures.  He rarely does that on his site.

I still own the car today and it sits in the garage now as seen in the image below.  Values for the original numbers matching 1970 Ram Air goats are stupid ridiculous today.  I pulled, oiled, bagged and stored the original numbers matching engine away.  I only spent 5 grand, for the full restoration on it, including the purchase price of the car.  It is worth so much more than that today.  So I don't drive it much at all now.  Plus I get swamped by kids wanting to race it nearly every time I take it out.  People(Mainly teens) freak completely out when they see and hear it and have nearly crashed into me in their excitement.

I went through 5 different camshafts before I finally settled on a monster Comp 305 magnum cam with 254@.050" duration.  I had the heads modified fly cutting the spring seats in order to fit Big Block Chev triple Vasco jet valve springs to eliminate any cam restrictions relating to lift.  I degreed the cam in myself running it 1.5 degrees advanced.  It has a very nice rumpity, rump, rump sound that shakes the whole car at a 900 rpm idle.  And I love the way it sounds at idle, so rare to hear them with a rolling rumpity, rump, rump sound like this today. 

I picked up a 70' Grand Prix 455 short block for $50 bucks(I built myself) had it punched out +.030" now measuring 463 cubic inches with forged flat top pistons, lightened knife edged crank(Everything on the reciprocating assembly was lightened and balanced including rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, pulleys, clutch disc and hat) and using tiny 65cc chamber Ram Air #12 heads that makes for 12.5:1 compression ratio along with a complete Ram Air III induction system, a Muncie M22 rock crusher 4 speed(built myself) and a 12 bolt(Also built myself) into which I put in strange engineering 35 spline axles, 3.90:1 Richmond gears and a Tru-Trac posi unit.  It runs 11's at 121 miles per hour in the quarter here in Utah on Ethanol.

The only problem is the fact that it only gets 3 miles per gallon on alcohol.  They don't tell you that at all, but alcohol has roughly 50% less BTU output than gas.  And I had a heck of a time modifying the entire fuel system as well as modifying and jetting the Q-Jet to run right on alcohol.  Oh, and alcohol and rubber don't get along well at all, don't even ask how I know.  So I had to go through everything in the fuel system, containing rubber, and replace it with neoprene or silicone to work well with alcohol.  I even had the fuel pump spring a leak due to the rubber diaphram degrading from the alcohol.  Fortunately carter made one(Alcohol compatible) for Poncho's with a neoprene diaphram and I've never had a problem since installing it.  At least I got 6 MPG on C16 super blue race gas. 

You may ask, why bother running alcohol?  Well, for one the engine never even gets warm on alcohol even in the blistering 100°+ thin air up here the temp guage barely moves now.  Second, it registers 0 emissions on the tailpipe sniffer.  Heck all the guys at the emission testing centers ask me why it won't even torch off their tailpipe probes.  I tell them the alcohol runs colder than gas by far and I have to run the engine up to 4,500 rpm to get them to light off to take their measurement and they are then stunned telling me it runs cleaner than any brand new car.  Third, it makes 100 horsepower more on alcohol than it can on gasoline, alcohol is an oxygen bearing fuel and creates oxygen as a byproduct of combustion, you also dump much more of it into the engine about 40-50% more than gasoline hence the worse fuel economy. Think chemical supercharging aka NOS(Nitrous Oxide). Nuff said...

Here's a link to the image still up on UltimateGTO.com:

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pow=yes&pic=/pow/pow0313

This is what  you'll see there:

1346196882_POW033003.jpg.a4479ed078c95c9c6c0b4a8fdd89caea.jpg

A shot of the engine bay, looks correct but hides many mods inside the engine.

pow0313engine.jpg.82cf7e76121bc51405dfb50087efb34f.jpg

It looks original, but it's wicked.

A shot of the freshly align bored and modified 455 short block with new Warrior Racing 4 bolt main caps and their stud kit on the bottom end.

BareBlock.jpg.e0698fa6c931a23d53f3777b7d178edf.jpg

Engine build complete and ready to drop in.  And those are factory cast iron Ram Air headers mounted on there.  Quite a rare sight to see nowadays.

455Ready.thumb.jpg.888b540a655f73d361b1d88477f04e46.jpg

And here's the car I towed the 70 home with:

68gto8.thumb.jpg.f0a6765787294591180fa881dec53504.jpg

Pretty good looking front end with the hide-away headlights I always thought.

68gto5a.jpg.cb72cee1834a1d372cb0401daf2de67a.jpg

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
Typo
  • That Rocks 8

Stickers

Posted (edited)

I love those classic GTO's!:--D

Nowadays, I drive my hot rodded 2002 Ford E-350 van with the legendary 7.3 Powerstroke diesel engine.

My previous 2000 E-350 van was purchased new in June of 2000. I modded the hell out of it and was pushing 512 rwhp.

I installed Stage 2 injectors, Hypermax turbo, high rise billet air intakes, Stainless steel exhaust with 4" downpipe, gauge pods on the drivers a- pillar, BTS 4R100 custom built transmission that holds 800 rwhp, Centerline rims, K&N air filters and had a custom built Dana 80 rear axle with 3:55 highway gears and air arb locker.

I also had a custom Tribal flame job painted on the van with a custom Road Armor front bumper with Warn M15000 winch.

Previously, I blew up 2 Dana 60 axles due to the immense torque from the engine. I finally had to retire it 2 years ago as the body was completely rusted out. The engine only had 410,000 miles on it and was still good for another 600k...these engine will last 1 million miles if properly maintained.

I removed everything but the windshield wiper motor and stored everything inside my shop for spare parts for this van.

Slowly adding all the high performance parts from the 2000 van to this one. I just need to install the built tranny, custom driveshaft, front bumper/winch and Dana 80 axle and I should be done. I'am going to limit the rwhp to 400 due to the powdered metal rods I have on this 7.3 verses forged rods on the previous engine.

In time, I''ll personally rebuild my original 7.3, girdle the bottom end, bore .030 and install in this van for 600 rwhp. I also get about 18 mpg as well!

This is my everyday hot rod work van which is an absolute blast to drive...the power is incredible!

I hope to find another 70 Chevelle SS or 69 CAMERO RS with the 396 engine and M22 some day before I die...

I used to blow out the cluster gears on the M22 on my Chevelle...can rebuild an M22 with my eyes closed. lol

2000 7.3 van.jpg

front view.jpg

side view of van.jpg

Edited by aceman117
  • That Rocks 4

6 hours ago, aceman117 said:

I hope to find another 70 Chevelle SS or 69 CAMERO RS with the 396 engine and M22 some day before I die...

I used to blow out the cluster gears on the M22 on my Chevelle...can rebuild an M22 with my eyes closed. lol

Wow! Those are some serious mods to that diesel power train!  I love it!

Yeah, there's nothing quite like putting 600 horses and 600 lb/ft through a manual tranny in an American musclecar!  I always get out of that 70 goat smiling ear to ear. 😁

• That Rocks 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Turbo said:

68gto5a.jpg.cb72cee1834a1d372cb0401daf2de67a.jpg

Turbo

I love that GTO front end.! The 1969 Camaro Z28 Rally Sport with hidden headlights is also cool!

1-1583188140925@2x.jpg

Edited by aceman117
  • That Rocks 3

Pricing for most muscle cars in good condition fetch a steep price....good for the owners, but not to the potential buyers...

Your GTO should fetch a great price if you ever decide to sell it. Did you ever think about adding turbos to the engine?

Not sure a Muncie can take over 700 hp thru it, even with modifications to the gears and all internals....

I was only pushing 360 hp thru my M22 on the LS5. Also, those Chevy 572 crate engines are brutes. I drove a Chevelle SS with one of those engines rated at 620 hp!

Talk about a wild ride....**))

2 minutes ago, aceman117 said:

Pricing for most muscle cars in good condition fetch a steep price....good for the owners, but not to the potential buyers...

Your GTO should fetch a great price if you ever decide to sell it. Did you ever think about adding turbos to the engine?

Not sure a Muncie can take over 700 hp thru it, even with modifications to the gears and all internals....

I was only pushing 360 hp thru my M22 on the LS5. Also, those Chevy 572 crate engines are brutes. I drove a Chevelle SS with one of those engines rated at 620 hp!

Talk about a wild ride....**))

Mines plenty wild enough with 600 horses now.  I've thought about running turbo's on it and have read about guys making 3,000 rwhp with those Kaufman Racing Equipment MR-1 blocks and their wild Warp 6 heads.  If you've not heard of them check them out at http://www.krepower.com/. Not my bag though, I already twist the frame so hard I can't open my driver door after a hard hooking blast to 121. 

It settles back down after about 5 minutes and then the  driver door closes fine again until the next hard blast.

Plus the car lifts and twists hard left and I have to hold it hard to the right to keep her going straight under full throttle.  Not a car for the faint of heart to be sure.  It's manual  everything including steering and brakes.

My wife was thrilled when she saw a Barret Jackson example exactly like mine but black sell for $410,000 a few years ago.  Another one didn't make it to reserve on ePrey and it went all the way up to $336,000.  Just ridiculous to see them going for that much and makes me afraid to drive mine.

• That Rocks 4

Stickers

It's funny how technology has pushed the HP numbers game so much. It is no longer a requirement to have a nasty cam in a big block to make more than 500 HP. The sound of a big cam is not something that can be reproduced by a 4 or 6 cylinder - you need 8 for that.

I feel inadequate posting in here - mine only has 405 HP from the factory. But it holds its own with most anything I have ran it against.

2002 Z06. 20,XXX on the clock. Garage queen unless it is sunny. Gets 30 MPG on the highway on cruise.

25 - Corvette Front.jpg

26 - Corvette Rear.jpg

27 - Corvette Hood.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 5

Stickers

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

It's funny how technology has pushed the HP numbers game so much. It is no longer a requirement to have a nasty cam in a big block to make more than 500 HP. The sound of a big cam is not something that can be reproduced by a 4 or 6 cylinder - you need 8 for that.

@B-Man, you are so right about that.  But I built my goat back in the 80's and that was how we built them way back then.  Monster cams, big inches, headers and low gears got it done light to light in the 70's and 80's. 

I constantly find myself tempted to downshifting back into third because I feel like I'm driving in third when in high gear.  On the plus side I never have to hit the brakes no matter how steep the hill is.  Let off the gas on the highway and it slows down hard against the high revving engine.

Just when I think my 13 second Mercedes E-Class feels fast, I take a drive in the goat and realize there's just no comparison.  The goat is so incredibly visceral and you've really got to be ready for it when you hit it.  Otherwise you'll likely end up in the ditch.

But hey, the Mercedes gets in the high 30's MPG cruising down I15 at 80 Miles per hour.  2 grand at 80 is so nice and I get to drive my Merc daily.

Always loved the Z06's especially when they bumped it up to 7 liters and 505 horses in 05 or 06 with that LS7.

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

W207 Mercedes E Class coupe.  I've never seen another one ever.  They're always W212 sedans with four doors.

Stickers

1 minute ago, RodH said:

Just jerkin' your chain.

My company car is a '19 'AMG' C43

I like the C43, has that sweet M276 3.0 Twin Turbo V6.

Stickers

Posted (edited)

I've owned muscle cars ever since I could drive. It started with a 58 Chevy convertible with a tri power 348 in it.. loved that car! I've owned 11 Corvettes..none newer than 1969  454 swap and a tri power 67 with the 427 in it...the rest were from 56 to 64 all with hopped up small blocks....then a 6 pack Cuda, Sunbeam Tiger, 240Z with a Chevy 383 stroker in it, Jag XJ6 with another 383 in it, 928 Porsche with aluminum V-8...and a few others that don't come to mind right now. I ended up with a repo Cobra with a Dart Iron Eagle 351W block bored and stroked to 446 cu in, twisted wedge raised port heads, custom Comp cam that dyno'd at 690 hp...great for almost 20 years ago when I first built it. After 15 years and ready to retire to where there is much rain I sold it...bought a nice Honda S2000 and have been quite happy with it since then! Oh yes... I did also have a Rambler Scrambler SC500. Only 1500 were made so that they could race at NHRA in stock division. It came with a 390 engine, 4 speed, hurst shifter and a Sun Tach on the dash....Ugly, but worth a small fortune now! I have 1 photo of it somewhere, but can't find it now...here is what it looked like though.

https://autowise.com/extremely-rare-a-scheme-69-amc-hurst-scrambler-for-sale-on-ebay/

and the Cobra with a "light" takeoff. Also... I was starting off in second gear. First would just sit and spin!

Interesting story on the license plates. I went to the DMV right after I bought the car and yet it wasn't complete yet...the engine was still on the stand. I asked for several different licenses and the guy just laughed and said " there's no way you'll ever find a plate that hasn't already been taken" but I asked him to check anyway if he would. 67VENOM was the third on my list of about 25. Moments later he came back shaking his head and said " I don't know how or why this happened...maybe the guy wrecked his car, but this plate was just released this morning!". I jumped on it and registered it to my Mittsubishi 3000 which I was driving at the time. For 6 months I drove the car with that plate on it until the Cobra was finished. It's still on the car with a friend who bought it from me to this day almost 20 years later! The Camaro in the photo was also mine at the time. No matching numbers, but had a 425hp 396 in it. Great runner, but didn't handle well. I swapped out the automatic with a Tremec TKO. The Camaro already had the clutch pedal hangers in it so the swap was quite easy.

cobra1a.jpg

cobra3a.jpg

Cobra Engine.jpg

honda S2000.jpg

Edited by fxbill
  • That Rocks 6

5 hours ago, fxbill said:

I've owned muscle cars ever since I could drive. It started with a 58 Chevy convertible with a tri power 348 in it.. loved that car! I've owned 11 Corvettes..none newer than 1969  454 swap and a tri power 67 with the 427 in it...the rest were from 56 to 64 all with hopped up small blocks....then a 6 pack Cuda, Sunbeam Tiger, 240Z with a Chevy 383 stroker in it, Jag XJ6 with another 383 in it, 928 Porsche with aluminum V-8...and a few others that don't come to mind right now. I ended up with a repo Cobra with a Dart Iron Eagle 351W block bored and stroked to 446 cu in, twisted wedge raised port heads, custom Comp cam that dyno'd at 690 hp...great for almost 20 years ago when I first built it. After 15 years and ready to retire to where there is much rain I sold it...bought a nice Honda S2000 and have been quite happy with it since then! Oh yes... I did also have a Rambler Scrambler SC500. Only 1500 were made so that they could race at NHRA in stock division. It came with a 390 engine, 4 speed, hurst shifter and a Sun Tach on the dash....Ugly, but worth a small fortune now! I have 1 photo of it somewhere, but can't find it now...here is what it looked like though.

https://autowise.com/extremely-rare-a-scheme-69-amc-hurst-scrambler-for-sale-on-ebay/

and the Cobra with a "light" takeoff. Also... I was starting off in second gear. First would just sit and spin!

Interesting story on the license plates. I went to the DMV right after I bought the car and yet it wasn't complete yet...the engine was still on the stand. I asked for several different licenses and the guy just laughed and said " there's no way you'll ever find a plate that hasn't already been taken" but I asked him to check anyway if he would. 67VENOM was the third on my list of about 25. Moments later he came back shaking his head and said " I don't know how or why this happened...maybe the guy wrecked his car, but this plate was just released this morning!". I jumped on it and registered it to my Mittsubishi 3000 which I was driving at the time. For 6 months I drove the car with that plate on it until the Cobra was finished. It's still on the car with a friend who bought it from me to this day almost 20 years later! The Camaro in the photo was also mine at the time. No matching numbers, but had a 425hp 396 in it. Great runner, but didn't handle well. I swapped out the automatic with a Tremec TKO. The Camaro already had the clutch pedal hangers in it so the swap was quite easy.

cobra1a.jpg

cobra3a.jpg

Cobra Engine.jpg

honda S2000.jpg

@fxbill,

I've always had a weakness for the Shelby 427 SC Cobra's.  I recently took my son to see Ford vs Ferrari and he now worships Ole' Shel.  I think that is a very good thing too.  My maternal grandfather drove a 59 Chev Imp with a 348 tri-power 315 horse as I recall.  Scared the crap out of me as a kid when he drag raced a few times when I was 5 or 6 years old.  He was the one who got me hooked on musclecars and I recall I was helping him re-ring a 66 Pontiac 421 for his Bonneville, had to be 69 while Dad was in Nam'.  I was 8 years old re-ringing an old 421 Poncho.  Started out early I guess.

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

@fxbill

Do you happen to know of https://www.modifry.com/ ?

The guy that started it is a close friend of mine - I helped him supercharge his S2000 some years ago. 308 HP at the wheels with just 6 lbs of boost. AWESOME car - the handling is unreal.

He has designed and built dozens of high quality parts for the S2000. He is truly a wizard with car electronics. He also goes to great lengths to get factory harness connectors so you don't have to modify or cut the car wiring. He also writes clear install manuals - his intent was to make mods for non-techie types less intimidating. I think he has done a remarkable job.

Funny story -

He bought his 1st S2000 and was unhappy with the factory stereo. However, he was unwilling to lose the steering wheel controls for the factory head unit. We disassembled the stereo and found the harness that ran to the steering wheel. He was able to source the proper connectors and he designed a small board with a IR transmitter on a flying lead. We programmed the transmitter by aiming the remote from his new Alpine head unit at it while it was in "learn" mode. Plugged the factory harness into it and found a place on the console to mount the IR emitter. Worked perfectly. He shows a bunch of folks on S2Ki.com and at the S2000 rally at Deal's Gap. Instant requests from everyone.

Fast forward a few weeks - he and I are working on a new improved version. At first he told people they had to send the remote they wanted to emulate so we could copy it. Then I had an idea - we loaded up the programming gear and went to a large Best Buy in Atlanta. He set the unit in "learn" mode and I would grab the remote from the display and run through the sequence of buttons, him storing the flashes from the remote. We did this for about 10 different remotes before the staff started getting suspicious about what we were doing. There is an 8 position DIP switch that you set a binary address to select which encoding scheme you needed on the adapter. He has sold thousands of those adapters on his web site.

With the success of that product he quickly started production on other products for the S2000. He has done so well he retired from the company we both worked for so he could devote his time to building his company. He has done very well for himself.

• That Rocks 4

Stickers

Posted (edited)

That's a heck of a success story! 300 HP isn't hard to get out of these...they have 250 stock. I've seen some that were over 600hp, but they're not daily drivers. I never did much to mine....headers, exhaust system...( Ga doesn't require smog checks in my county so no cat converter) and I had a chip replacement. It already handled like it was on rails. I purchased a V-tec controller that allows you to have the V-tec cut in at any RPM, but never installed it. It seems fine at the 6500 rpm the factory has. I considered a supercharger for it when I first purchased it, but I'm at an age now where the car does what I want it to and I don't really race anymore. I just like the feel of the V-tec when it hits! That's a great story about your friend.... I'm impressed!

Edited by fxbill

I missed this post. All I have ever owned were muscle and sports cars. I started years ago with a new 1972 Plymouth Road Runner. Looked pretty close to this one I saw on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Plymouth-Road-Runner/153966721067?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Db97f91effa69442c9c334aadb1ec2403%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D254584506565%26itm%3D153966721067%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad2e5b047-bcb2-11ea-b6d6-74dbd18083e9|parentrq%3A11a1c68d1730ad4c3bfda88efffb7e90|iid%3A1

I never thought I'd drive or own a set of wheels with more than 400 hp but as the years passed by I caved and kept upgrading. She'll catch you off guard if you don't respect the power. Theses are the last 3 I have owned.

RedeyeRevised.jpg

2015 Challenge 2r.JPG

2016 Hellcat (Shineshop).jpg

• That Rocks 4