aceman117

Any muscle car owners?

I owned a VW Rabbit, and I backed into a Toyota MR2. That was as close as I ever came to owning another car.

I’ve had a few muscle cars over the years. I started out with a used 1960 Impala 348 tri-power that I bought during my Freshman year of college (1963).

Then, I bought a new 1966 Chevelle SS396. While I was away in Navy Bootcamp (1967), the SS396 is what my Mom drove everyday instead of her slowpoke Impala! She liked the get-up-and-go of the SS396!! Here is a picture of my Mom standing in front of the SS396.

1037515458_My1966SS396andMomResized.thumb.jpg.b4d159d27593eec234a4c2044da84379.jpg

In 1970 I was vacillating between getting a 1969 Z28 while they were still available or wait on the new and revised 70 1/2 Z28’s. I decided to wait and when they were available to order I bought one. While I was in the Navy and deployed overseas (72-74), Mom once again used my muscle car as her daily driver! She earned the nickname around our small town in SW Arkansas as “The Little Old Lady From Pasadena”! Here are a couple of pictures of the Z28; notice the 8-Track Tape.

1120770522_MyZ28_0001resized.thumb.jpg.9bd5ca37e5b98a3113d69a7ed886a0ac.jpg

1280010292_MyZ28_0007resized.thumb.jpg.2ff90d209470db3dbb1f8d2b1b29bafd.jpg

581966938_MyZ28_0029resized.thumb.jpg.a9dcbe4c72516b3a6fdf692519140704.jpg

I kept both the 1966 SS396 and the 70 Z28 Camaro stock for a while, but the need for more HP eventually won out and I made some serious changes to the engines. I was an avid street racer!

• That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 2

Stickers

Let's see. I've owned over 2500 cars. Seriously. Muscle cars? Does a Porsche 928 count? 65 Olds 442. 67 & 68 GTO's. 69 Dart GT 340 4 speed. 69 Torino GT convertible. 70 340 Challenger. I had a 70 Challenger convertible, but it was a slant 6, so not a muscle car. 69 Impala SS convertible. 650-ish HP 409 swapped 64 Impala wagon w/ SS tags, THAT was a monster! 69 Cougar. 73 Montego GT (351 Cleveland), 72 Torino GT (351C), 74 Charger SE w/ 383/727 from 68 Coronet NM state police car, 72 LTD w/ 400, 67 Fairlane 500 w/ 390, 71 Mustang Mach 1 (351C), 71 Merc Marquis 429, 69 T-bird 429, 65 T-bird 390, 69 Chevelle 350, 73 Chevelle SS 350, 69 Mustang coupe 302, 71 Pont Grand Ville 455, 69 Coronet 318(eh..) probably a few more I cannot recall. If I have any regrets, it's the 69 Torino GT. NEVER should have sold it! Only had 64000 miles. Bought it for $450.00. YES! One tiny rust hole, early 1982. Gorgeous aqua with white stripes, white interior and top. Just like this:

image.png

• That Rocks 4

Stickers

When we were filming "the Green Hornet" we had a new Charger with a hemi and auto trans and a Challenger with a 383 I believe and a 5 speed. The hemi was a bruiser and lightning fast, but the Challenger was more fun to drive...had a a Flowmaster exhaust system on it and sounded really nasty. The stunt driver drove the heck out of it and it went through a set of tires weekly! I loved that car!

We also had a modified Lincoln with pop out guns just like those pictured above, but they actually popped out of the doors and fired propane guns that shot fire out of them and sounded exactly like real gunfire. It took us several months to make the guns and the pneumatic cylinders that activated them. It also had hood cannons that did the same thing. That was a really fun gig!

Edited by fxbill
  • Love this! 1

2 minutes ago, aceman117 said:

Well, that dozer certainly has the torque, but not sure the 60 foot times are impressive! 😁

I'll concede a slight weight disadvantage.

• Haha 3

Stickers

On 7/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, Sk1Bum said:

Cat_D11_View_2.jpg

Man!  I'd hate to be the guy getting in your way while you're in that! Outcome in the end scene of Vanishing point comes to mind.

Fortunately with 60 foots in the 1.4-1.5 second range, I don't think that will be a problem. 😉

• Haha 1

Stickers

43 minutes ago, Turbo said:

Man!  I'd hate to be the guy getting in your way while you're in that! Outcome in the end scene of Vanishing point comes to mind.

Fortunately with 60 foots in the 1.4-1.5 second range, I don't think that will be a problem. 😉

Prolly not a good idea to argue over parking spaces either. :D

• Haha 1

Stickers

On 7/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, kve777 said:

Let's see. I've owned over 2500 cars. Seriously. Muscle cars? Does a Porsche 928 count?

Same 302 as my 85 Mustang GT except with 32 valves, all aluminum engine with mechanical fuel injection, 320 some odd HP, perfect 50/50 balance, 5 speed manaul  and yes...most consider them muscle cars.

Model Guide: The 928, Porsche's V8-powered luxury muscle car ..

How many years have you been driving?....how does that work out?.... a car a week? Wow... the paperwork alone would have done me in years ago!

Edited by fxbill

@Turbo  Your dad was in Viet Nam the same year I was. Do you know where he was stationed? I was at Phan Rang...about 40 miles N of Cam'Rom Bay. I got back in Feb 1970 exactly 4 years to the day from when I enlisted.

2 hours ago, fxbill said:

@Turbo  Your dad was in Viet Nam the same year I was. Do you know where he was stationed? I was at Phan Rang...about 40 miles N of Cam'Rom Bay. I got back in Feb 1970 exactly 4 years to the day from when I enlisted.

I sure do Bill.  Dad had just left SAC headquarters at Offutt AFB in Omaha Nebraska back in early 69.  He was then stationed in Thailand at a place called Udorn Air Force Base.  He only told me it had something to do with U2's and SR-71's operating out of there and Kadena Japan. 

He never liked to talk about it, said he lost too many friends there.  He setup my Mom, my two brothers, my sister and I in Indianapolis(My hometown) and we stayed with my Mom's parents for a little while until we moved into a townhouse in Bloomington, not far from my Grandparents house.

Dad was never the same when he returned home to us.  He went on to the Pentagon after Nam' and became a "Full Bull" Colonel in the Air Force.

Edited by Turbo
Typo
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

9 minutes ago, Turbo said:

I sure do Bill.  Dad had just left SAC headquarters at Offutt AFB in Omaha Nebraska back in early 69.  He was then stationed in Thailand at a place called Udorn Air Force Base.  He only told me it had something to do with U2's and SR-71's operating out of there and Kadena Japan. 

He never liked to talk about it, said he lost too many friends there.  He setup my Mom and my two brothers and my sister in Indianapolis(My hometown) and we stayed with my Mom's parents for a little while until we moved into a townhouse in Bloomington, not far from my Grandparents house.

Dad was never the same when he returned home to us.

Small world... I was in TAC...crew chief on F-106's stationed in Sault Ste Marie Michigan for almost three years...loved the country...hated the 35 below in the winter and then crewed F-104's and F-100's in Nam. Sounds like your dad had it worse than I did. I came back a little banged up, but lost no friends there...on the other hand...look at what I turned into!lol

• Love this! 1

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

But what ?

I was picking on @kve777 because I know what he drives and I work at GM. Nothing wrong with some FORD's. 😂

Edited by Rob
  • Haha 1

Stickers

On 7/4/2020 at 4:23 PM, Sk1Bum said:

Prolly not a good idea to argue over parking spaces either. :D

This is what I was driving right at the start of the "japanese invasion". Don't remember having much in the way of argument from them now that I think of it ... even the air horns could put a pretty good dent in a Toyota, eh ... ;-}

mona-front.jpg

• That Rocks 1