New Vinyl Releases

SteveFord

This stuff tends to sell  out pretty quickly - how about a sticky for notable releases?

Mini review on the sound quality, too: Sucks, Okay, Good, Really Good, Excellent

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's 180 gm

Really Good

Emotion and Commotion, 180 gm

Really Good

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers boxed red vinyl w/ tee shirt

Okay sound

Let It Bleed, remastered 180 gm  

Excellent

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, 180 gm

Good to Really Good

Neil Young - first 4 albums, 200 gm

don't know

first 4 albums, 180 gm

Really Good

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, 30th Anniversary Edition, 200 gm

Excellent

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

A Woman, A Man Walked By

The Peel Sessions

all 180 gm vinyl, Excellent

4 Track Demos, 180 gm

Really Good - Excellent

• Thank You 1

Jeff Beck - Remastered Blow By Blow, 180 gm

Excellent

Remastered Wired (coming out shortly)

This stuff tends to sell  out pretty quickly - how about a sticky for notable releases?

Just out

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's 180 gm vinyl (available at Amazon, I just snagged one)

Emotion and Commotion, 180 gm vinyl on Amazon

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers boxed red vinyl w/ tee shirt (some on eBay)

Neil Young - first 4 albums, 200 gm vinyl on his web site

first 4 albums, 180 gm vinyl on Amazon

Thanks for the info Steve. I was looking for information about the 200 gm vinyl offering on neilyoung.com and can't seem to locate it. Lots about blue ray, dvd and cd... Do you think you could post a link?

• 2 weeks later...
Damn I'm out of touch. I just checked prices at SoundStageDirect and was shocked to say the least.
Most of my vinyl collection was purchased for a buck (or less) out of bargain bins at local record stores.
The bulk of my CD collection was purchased used for $4.00-$8.00 per disc from Chicago Digital.

Once I got over the initial sticker shock I realized that SoundStageDirect's prices are not all that bad.
I paid roughly the same price for 100's of Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed masters purchased 30 years ago.
Those MF releases make up less than 5% of my LP's by volume but account for more than 40% of the cost.

The bottom line is I'll probably treat myself occasionally but continue to buy most of my music at garage sales.
Squeek, squeek, squeek...
  • That Rocks 1

I've always wondered about ½ speed masters.  It would seem like the highs would be glorious but the bass would suck (consider the RIAA necessary to keep the stylus in the groove during bass notes).

The actual results vary widely depending on the quality of the master tape and the expertise of the mastering engineer.
There were also some sonic differences between the early Japanese pressings and the Ultradisc II's pressed in the US.
It's been a while since I A/B'd them but IIRC I was disappointed with Santana Abraxas and Metallica Master Of Puppets.
Both of these Ultradiscs had excessive clicks and pops and less dynamic range than the original releases.

However, most of the MoFi releases were IMHO better than the original releases with less noise and increased dynamic range.
Some of my favorties are:
Beatles Abbey Road
Crosby, Stills and Nash Deja Vu
Grateful Dead American Beauty
Jethro Tull Aqualung
Moody Blues Days of Future Passed
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Steely Dan Aja
Steely Dan Katy Lied
Yes Close to the Edge

As to how they manage to fit extra bass on an Ultradisc I believe it's a result of cutting the lacquers at 1/2 speed.

I wouldn't think cutting at ½ speed would enhance bass.  The grooves would be ginormous.  It would be like trying to put down 10Hz on a record.  Or, wait, maybe it's the other way around emteeth.gif

I've been searching for a good explanation of the MoFi procedure but all I've come up with is this ad hype:

Mobile Fidelity's significant contributions to the world of high-end audio software are grounded in the art of Original Master Recording, significantly advanced by the company with the introduction of the half-speed mastered Original Master Recording™ LP. As part of the company's resolve to provide the most accurate sonic reproductions possible, all Mobile Fidelity product is mastered directly from the original master tape as opposed to production copies often used for mass reproduction. This ensures a more complete and exacting transfer of the original musical data. In the case of the Original Master Recording™ (OMR) LP, the use of the master tape is combined with a unique procedure known as "half-speed" mastering, which literally slows down the cutting system involved in mastering vinyl so that musical information can be transferred from the source tape to the lacquer with greater precision. To this advanced mastering technique, Mobile Fidelity adds substantial refinements in the vinyl compound itself and improves methods of plating the lacquer. The result is a significant improvement in overall.

This one appears to be ready to sell out:

The Doors

180gm boxed set of their studio albums

Not cheap at 170 bucks but if you're a collector now would be the time to go for it.

Not cheap at 170 bucks but if you're a collector now would be the time to go for it.

Thanks for the info Steve. I like the Doors, but $170 is a bit steep for me. I'd rather put it toward satisfying the OCCD than into the media. eusa_angel.gif 

I like the Doors' date=' but $170 is a bit steep for me. I'd rather put it toward satisfying the OCCD than into the media. eusa_angel.gif [/quote']

The way I see it, the hardware ain't much good without good software.  emwink.gif

You're both right but I'm done buying stereo stuff for the time being so am putting my money into albums again.

You can get the albums individually for 18-22 bucks which is what I'm going to do and just forget the boxed set.

I just ordered Absolutely Live and will work my way through the bunch.

I don't know if I mentioned it but the 180gm album The Doors in New York (Felt Forum) is tremendous.  It sounds like Jim is in your room getting ready to ralph on your carpet...  Actually, he sounds sober which is a good thing.

The CD box of the Felt Forum gigs is around $75 which sounds like it's worth getting.

Jeff Beck Wired showed up today so will give that a spin this evening.  I wrote to Mr. Beck to see if Jeff, Who Else! and You Had It Coming will be released on vinyl.  I sure hope so.

I have original vinyl releases of Beck-Ola, Rough and Ready, Beck, Bogart & Appice, Blow By Blow and Wired .
Most of these LP's hold up well, even against the MoFi Gold CD's. (Beck, Bogart & Appice is a notable exception.)

I like the Doors' date=' but $170 is a bit steep for me. I'd rather put it toward satisfying the OCCD than into the media. eusa_angel.gif [/quote']

The way I see it, the hardware ain't much good without good software.  emwink.gif

Very true Z. I guess I'm just in a hardware mode lately and having fun with it! emteeth.gif 

I don't know if I mentioned it but the 180gm album The Doors in New York (Felt Forum) is tremendous.  It sounds like Jim is in your room getting ready to ralph on your carpet...  Actually, he sounds sober which is a good thing.

The CD box of the Felt Forum gigs is around $75 which sounds like it's worth getting.

Now there's one I might check out! Thanks again for this thread Steve. I do like knowing what's coming up on vinyl. 

• 4 weeks later...
I'm starting on the remastered 180gm Doors studio albums now.

I've heard LA Woman a couple hundred times on everything from cassette to albums to CD and maybe even 8 track.

This album makes everything prior just sound ridiculous by comparison.

Everyone is probably familiar with the recently remastered Beatles CDs; these albums would be the equivalent for The Doors.

Well worth buying.

Morrison Hotel is up tomorrow night!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Gail Zappa is releasing Frank's catalog at the rate of two 180 gram titles at the rate of two per month.

These are outstanding. If you like Zappa, buy these before the prices goes through the roof.

Hot Rats came first (and was 200 gram), so far it's been Freak Out!, Over-Nite Sensation, Roxy and Elsewhere and Uncle Meat.

• Thank You 1

Gail Zappa is releasing Frank's catalog at the rate of two 180 gram titles at the rate of two per month.These are outstanding. If you like Zappa, buy these before the prices goes through the roof.Hot Rats came first (and was 200 gram), so far it's been Freak Out!, Over-Nite Sensation, Roxy and Elsewhere and Uncle Meat.

Just picked up Freak Out, Over-Nite  Sensation, Roxy and Elsewhere and Uncle Meat. Someone was selling Hot Rats for $199.00 eusa_snooty.gif can't do it for that one.