Hello from CNY ...

Just joined a few weeks ago and finally getting around to introducing myself.  I hail from Central NY.  I used to be on one of the other Carver forums of days gone by, went by icravcarver for those that may remember back in the day!  I've been collecting Carver gear since the early 90's (after college!!).  My first exposure to Carver was back when I was in middle school (8th grade) and an older neighbor, friend of my brother and sister, who know I was into stereo gear, took me to one of his buddies houses to see his new setup!  Carver M-400 (not sure if it was a "t" version), C-9, Kenwood turntable, not sure of the pre (pretty sure it wasn't a carver) and some Klipsch Heresy's and put on Zeppelin II Whole Lotta Love.  They put me in the "sweet spot" and proceeded to blow me away!  Been hooked since.  

Since then, I started my collection with a HR-772, and have moved on to various other separates.  Pieces I've owned (but no longer do unfortunately) are TFM-55 (still have it, need to resurrect it from the dead in the near future), TL-3220, TL-3300, and a TD-1700.  Current pieces in my collection are TFM-45, C-16, C-19 (in process of re-capping/tweaking), SDA-490T, TD-1770, a new to me TL-3300 (missed the last one - so found another), and original Amazings (well originals with a 60" ribbon - not the (2) 30" ribbons)!   Now the Amazings are being driven by my new to me Sunfire 300x2 amp. 

For my vinyl pleasure I currently have an Avid Diva II with a Rega RB-330 arm, and Vessel AS3SS cartridge in my main setup, which replaced my Linn Axis with Akito I arm and Ortofon Super OM-20 cartridge.  

I also am a big Polk speaker fan.  I currently have a pair of SDA-1C's in my HT setup, Monitor 12's in my bedroom setup, and did have a pair of Monitor 5's, but sold them to a buddy of mine (who I see often enough it is if I still own them!).  I almost snagged a pair of SDA-1.2's around the same time I grabbed the Amazings, but just couldn't justify having both!  (Well, who needs to justify having any of this, but I let my brain talk me out of it!)

I have a bunch of other gear, and some I am trying to fix up (starting to teach myself how to do it yourself - especially with the lack of competent techs in my area!).  I could ramble on and on about this addiction.... wait, I mean hobby!  I am looking forward to meeting new people that share this love of Carver gear and maybe even hooking up with some old ones from before!  

Looking forward to being a member here!

Here is a link to a photo of my main setup in my Vinyl Den!:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/PXkdi6BYZARLNsEK7

Neil

Edited by 2chGearBuff
Added link to photo
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 7

Welcome to the club. There are a lot of great people here as you probably know. I just joined last March after searching for someone to repair my MXR150. 

If you already have been here then I won't say to much. As you know there is every resource needed here for anything. Enjoy!!!

Fotolia_9058674_XS.jpg

Edited by Rob

Hey Neil- welcome!!!!! I like your story alot and really like your gear. Thank you for sharing it all.  For anything that you are looking to fix up, you have found the right place. There are lots of great guys here that possess the knowledge and experience and that are always willing to help out. And they are just a whole lot of fun on an everyday basis. So it is great to have you here to hang out with😀.

Welcome to the site! You have a nice setup in your pic. There are a great bunch of people that love audio gear and will share knowledge about fixing it. Just hang around a while and you will see.......grin

Welcome to the enablers club. There is a lot of DIY guidance in the archives and many great live people to help. 

Cheers mate.

Hello Neil, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

Very nice collection of gear, and a great system. Thank you for sharing the picture.

Once you get to Novice status, you'll be able to upload pics directly into the forum. 

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Community Admin

Ooh, boy, you are going to love it here.  And, we will feed your addiction!

Welcome @2chGearBuff to the "Carver Hybrid Amazings" club, too @BarryGand I both have a pair of Amazing Originals with the full-length ribbon and crossover upgrade kit.  Love them too.

I have a number of those units you hav- Polk SDA-1C's with the original Polk connection cable..., and more.

Glad you found us, and welcome to the Journey that has no destination.

Can't wait to see more of your system - you'll be able to post pictures here in a few more posts.

• Thank You 1

Thanks for the very warm welcome!  I really am not sure I will ever be able to stop the addiction, but it is a good one to feed!  

"Welcome @2chGearBuff to the "Carver Hybrid Amazings" club, too @BarryGand I both have a pair of Amazing Originals with the full-length ribbon and crossover upgrade kit.  Love them too."

Thanks.  The one thing I am not sure of is if I have the crossover upgrade kit on mine.  I never pulled the back cover off to investigate.  Love the way they sounded from the day I got them!  So, I figure, don't mess with it if you like the way it sounds!

• Thank You 2

There will be no problem feeding it here in these parts😄. It will be fed regularly. Great to have you. Nobody else pays much attention to the dos and don'ts all the time so dont fret. I have caught myself hijacking a thread a time or two and nobody slapped my hand.

Edited by Receiver2000

39 minutes ago, Receiver2000 said:

I have caught myself hijacking a thread a time or two and nobody slapped my hand.

We do have a sticker for that. :D

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, 2chGearBuff said:

I am also going to apologize in advance.  I haven't had much time to learn the posting "ins" and "outs" and "do's" and "don'ts".

We'll be gentle. :D

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

My Amazing crossover  follow the schematic quite close.  Mine had 400 uF instead of 450 uF in the schematic, everything else is the same!

C87E24D3-2A15-4FD1-BDF4-FA1745FC387D.jpeg

• Thank You 1

Welcome.jpg

Welcome (back)!  It's great to see folks finding their way here from having been on the older formums.

Sorry for the late welcome message - I had thought I'd put this up, but somewhere my brain must have taken a wrong turn.

I can't help much on the electronics side (I know enough to be very dangerous - the only advantage I have is that I KNOW I only know enough to be very dangerous).  That said, I'm also looking to learn, so please post your endevours, as there are plenty here who can help, and plenty who, like me, are interested.

That's a nice collection of equipment you've gathered - thanks for the picture - feel free to post more of the system.

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate all the "Welcome" wishes!  Unfortunately I know enough to be dangerous with a soldering iron.  Not one to shy away from any task, as long as I feel I have good direction to go in (aka - as far as knowledgeable people are willing to guide me).   Here are a couple of other pics of my "Vinyl Den"!  This is the "Listening Area"2074304921_MyVinylDenListeningarea1.jpg.07b7df89781aba71bcda0de9991d829f.jpg2057766642_MyVinylDenListeningarea2.jpg.df202d99d980fc51beeee2912d8dbca4.jpg  

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1