Intro - Novice

I have what I hope are the parts needed for my DIY Carver 900 refurb. New capacitors, output relays, a resistor and tuner trim (??). Any advice on a specfic soldering station you like? I'm not gonna spend $300 on one, but $100 for a good model is not unreasonable. I've been eyeing a Duratrax TK-950 recommended by a friend who owns a hobby shop, and repairs boards on RC vehicles and controllers.

Also any advice on what to replace first? Would you replace "X" then plug it in and see if that fixed it, or would you just replace everything, then try it? What's the logical move? Thanks all!

• Thank You 1

Get the Weller. Replacement parts are available, it's well built and should last a long time.

You didn't say what exactly isn't working. Does it power up? Replace the relays first. If you get sound, you know the power supplies are functional. You should go slow, paying close attention to capacitor polarity. Take pictures before you touch anything so you can refer back to them if you have any question as to "how it was". The faintest ink is better than the best memory...

I would verify all of the power supply and amplifier sections are working before touching the tuner trimmer. Do you have the procedure and tools to align the tuner properly?

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks B-Man. I'll ignore the tuner trim and start with the output relays. The take-a-picture is a great point, too. The eBay-er who supplied the parts sent pretty good instructions on How-To for those parts, including the tuner trim, but if there is a special "tool", then no.

Yes, it powers on, but zero sound, BTW.

Thanks again!

• Thank You 1