DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR FIRST?

Rob

Do you still have your first Carver piece and are you the original purchaser? 

IMG_5181.thumb.JPG.96ec9db5d100f0e84b896b9e5fa02f17.JPG

Lets see'em guys. And also if you still have the original receipts. 

Bamberg Germany   June 25 1987   $550 doll hairs.

IMG_4409.JPG

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 5

• Community Admin

I honestly don't know. My first two Carver purchases were M-400ts, and I've traded, bought, & sold a few of them. I do still have the original receipts-somwhere, and I still have 2 cubes here. I've also given a cube amped system to each of my daughters.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 6

Gosh how I wish that I still had  all of the many audio systems that I have owned. How they all placed themselves in time and how they were intertwined in my history of audio. What a privilege that would be. It's quite like the cars that I have owned. Still wish that I had them all.  Well, maybe not all of them but have a fondness for most or at least the history that accompanied them. Nostalgia.

Still have my first MXR200 from 1986.

Love it as much today as when I got it.

Edited by Receiver2000
  • Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

36 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I still have them; a pair of TFM-35X that I found at a garage sale back in 1995.  They are currently on loan to a good friend of mine...

I had two of those amps, also a SD/A-360 CD unit and a CT-23 Pre.  

Since sold the TFM-35X amps, but still have the SD/A-360 and CT-23.  I have the receipt somewhere.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 4

I have never purchased any Carver gear new but I have my first piece an M500t that I refurbished and Nelion Audio just upgraded it to MKII. Love those meters.......grin

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3

Receipts are long gone but I still have the M1.0t amps I bought new, $499.99 each, back in 1985. I bought them from a high-end audio shop in Tampa called Sensuous Sounds Systems. I also bought a pair of AL-III+ speakers new from Circuit City but that receipt is long gone. The only other Carver piece I purchased new was a CT-6 I bought from a home furnishings store in Tampa that tried a very short-lived run in stereo gear and TVs. I ended up doing a Karma with it here on this site. GeneC was the recipient - I was kind of disappointed that when he disassembled his systems he didn't re-Karma it here or send it back to me so I could.

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

My first was actually the M-240 car amp, then I bought two more, still have them in a box in the garage and last time I pulled them they were working great.

My first home piece well most everybody knows that story. Only thing I did wrong was not keep the original fax sent by Carver with Guarantee to have my amp by March 8th which also happens to be my birthday! Also tossed the original receipt and even worse, needed space in the mobile home and threw away the original box with matching serial number. Oh well live and learn...At least I kept the amp. For many years I really thought they had only made a max of 10 or less of these because I searched the internet up one side and down the other and could find absolutely no information on the TFM-75. 

Once "carver corp" went out of business I figured there would be no parts and no way to fix it if it ever had a problem so I unplugged it and parked it for a solid 10yrs. It was Wayne Kingman that first talked me into pulling it out and firing it up. She came on and worked just like it was brand new.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 6

Yep, sure do!

My journey using Bob Carver equipment started in 1988 after I read an article about “The Carver Challenge”. I couldn’t resist, so I convinced my wife that I needed to upgrade our Stereo system and went to Sound Factor in Encino, CA and purchased a brand new Carver CT-7 tuner/preamp and M1.0t power amp. They both reside in their original boxes, with receipts, along with my other Carver equipment, on my OFFICIAL CARVER OCCD Shelving!

• That Rocks 7

A400x - my first Carver piece, and my first separate amplifier.  Bought new from Ultimate Electronics in 1994ish to drive my Polk LS70 mains.  The difference was a watershed moment in my audio journey. 

It served in my home theater for a couple years, and has been in my family room setup for the past 25 years or so, minus one year with former member Snow up in AK. 

3C2EE81D-FE84-464D-B6EB-7A1F58FC1144.thumb.jpeg.32d66884860e3d051caa0718d4fb0397.jpeg

• That Rocks 7

Although not purchased brand new, I got it from a Hifi store employee who claimed it was only six months old, my once trusty HR-895 THX A/V receiver. I bought it the summer of '93 I believe before my sophmore year in college. That piece started my affection for Carver gear. My first foray into separates came many years later around 2004, with the AV-705x THX five channel amp. I moved along the 705x last year, but still have the HR-895.

Carver + 710's.jpg

AV705x.jpg

Carver + 910's.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 5

My first 2 pieces were the M1.5t pwr amp and CT17 preamp/tuner respectivitly in that order. The CT17 bit the dust years ago and I sold it as is. The M1.5t I let go once I found and got a hold of my first M1.0t mkII.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 6

I purchased my trusty c-1 back in ‘88 and it is still faithfully performing for me. I have recapped it, but it has never needed unscheduled service.

My m1.0t I purchased new in April ‘89, and I did the mkII mod 02 mods a few years ago. Although I bought it new, had lived a much more storied life in its early years...IMG_7720.thumb.jpg.5b2b5345d8dd9efd98ebdf11c37e98e8.jpg

My m1.0t was purchased at the AAFES store in Mildenhall, England. It was immediately shipped to an old friend and fellow stereo buff in TX for safe keeping until I arrived back in the US.
Where it was received, unpacked, plugged in and PS diodes smoked. It was factory configured for 220vac.

I stopped at my friends house and picked up my ailing amp and a pair of Klipsch KG4’s while moving from Jackson, MS to Camarillo, CA. This was in October 1989.

I had the amp repaired and converted to 110 volt operation in Ventura CA a month later. At last, I was able to assemble my new Carver system!

For the next 2+ years I enjoyed wonderful music through my Carvers! Until one day, a couple weeks before Deb and I were to be married, the m1.0t decided to fail once again. The Pro Audio Clinic was no more, and I contacted Carver Service directly. I spoke with Steve and explained my plight, and that the Carver would be pulling music duties for our small wedding celebration in a few weeks. He asked about the other gear I am using, and instructed me to send it to Carver Service in WA. Even though the amp was around 5 weeks beyond the warranty, they repaired it and shipped it back to me free of charge. 

IMG_7721.thumb.jpg.3555cd660716ff320f7c326351a95fcf.jpg

We were married June 6th 1992. The amp was back in home in time for reception duties.

Customer service like that is but one reason I’ve been a long time Carver fan!

The C-1 / m1.0t combination has been in daily use since without a hitch. I did the mkII mod 02 mods a few years ago, and it is still my daily driver. 

• That Rocks 5

I've never purchased any Carver gear new, though I now wished I had.  But my first two pieces were a C-1 & M-1.5t I bought from the Bay back in 2008 or 2009.  I still have both pieces and use them to drive the front mains on my Home Theater system.  I use them quite a lot for music streaming too.

• That Rocks 4

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Rob said:

Ok @Wilkic65 and @gburke time to post your first's. |-|

My first is a MXR 150, gone through by my good friend @Rob to make sure it was in like new condition.  Then addiction took it's course and I bought a M1.0t which is currently at Nelion audio for mkii op2 upgrade. Absolutely love my carver equipment 

20201101_010854.jpg

Edited by gburke
  • That Rocks 2