New member from North Carolina

Greetings from Charlotte, NC

I recently started watching Bob Carver videos and Carver equipment repair videos on YouTube and it re-sparked my interest.

I live outside the Charlotte, NC area and started collecting Carver equipment while in the Navy and stationed in Keflavik, Iceland from 1988 through 1992.
I was first exposed to Carver amplifiers while going to Navy 'A' school at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis;  I listened to a Bose speaker demo at the local mall and they mentioned the system was powered by a Carver amp and needless to say, I was impressed.
My collection began with a Carver "entry level" Audio\Video combo unit of which I cannot remember the specific model.  As I read more and listened more to friends Carver set ups, I kept wanting to upgrade my own equipment, so, I would sell my equipment and upgrade to the next Carver device.  For example, I started with a Carver M 1.0T amp but eventually sold & upgraded to M 4.0T .
In the end, my collection consists of
One Carver DTL 50 cd player (currently on the disabled list, needs two belts installed)
One Carver TDR 2400 cassette deck
One Carver CT 7 pre amp
One Carver M 4.0T Silver Seven Vacuum Tube Transfer Function amplifier (as my friend used to say in his commercial voice, 375 watts per channel of pure power LOL)
As for speakers, I started with a pair of Bose 301 bookshelf speakers, sold them and moved onto something else which I cannot remember and ended with:
Bose 901 series VI speakers which I still use today

Edited by Walrus Gumboot
clarified number of amps I own
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 4

Welcome.jpg

Welcome to the group!  Nice to see someone who has some of the car audio gear as part of their collection.

You certainly have quite the collection of amps - I'll type louder as I'm sure you can make some serious noise!  

Once you have a couple more posts under your belt, thin about posting some pictures of your setup for us.

In the meantime, feel free to join in the fun, here, and enjoy the music! 

Hello Walrus Gumboot, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

Please expand on your name. I would love to read that story. :D 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Walrus Gamboot - My user name
I figured I would have some fun and try to be a little creative with my user name since this is a Carver site consisting of music enthusiasts.
Walrus Gamboot is a line from the Beatles song, Come Together; I always thought John Lennon was singing..."He got Walrus Gumball," which I really like better as a user name but decided I should use the actual for acurracy.

He bag production
He got walrus gumboot
He got Ono sideboard
He one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knee
Hold you in his armchair
You can feel his disease
Come together, right now

Per Google

Gumboot” is the British word for long rubber rain boots. John has said that this is his gobbledegook putting words together as he was good at doing! (like for example I “I Am The Walrus”)

• Thank You 3

6 hours ago, itchitch said:

Admission to this site requires you buy at least four more Carver items within the next week.

(Just kidding)

Itch

On NOW you tell me it wasn't a requirement!  Gee Thanks!!!   :D   And I thought it was 4 plus at least 2 upgrades to some of the gear?  :b--

@Walrus Gumboot - I would try to warn you, as others did for me, about OCCD, but it's clearly already too late for you.  BTW, the warnings are pretty much useless - the adiction is unavoidable once you've joined.  ;)

11 hours ago, itchitch said:

Welcome to the site!

Admission to this site requires you buy at least four more Carver items within the next week.

(Just kidding)

Itch

Well shit, that explains a lot - all this time I thought it was four more Carver items per week...

welcome aboard!

• Haha 3

Welcome !!! Glad you decided to join us.

Quickly respond to a few of the posts and then you will be able to post some pictures of your system. (That was a hint... 🙂)

Bose 501s traded in for 901– IV with a Bose Spatial Receiver  I have fond memories of.  Those 901s now reside with  another member  who has a wall of them (four sets stacked if I recall) powered by stacks of Carver professional series amps. "I listen to them from the driveway", he would say. 

Joining  HappyTrails (Paul) in welcoming you from The Cesspool of Sin. ✌️

• Haha 1

My replacement belts arrived yesterday for my Carver DTL 50, so, I will be attempting to fix it today.  It has been broken since the early 2000's.

Does anyone have any tips for that?  I've cleaned the area where the belts attach but unsure how easy it will be to work in such a small area since I have not been able to find any youtube videos for the complete task.  I've seen the 45 second one which shows the belts spinning while the drawer opens and closes.

• That Rocks 2