Netflix... What happened?

Daddyjt

Unfortunately, I cancelled my Netflix subscription today.  Netflix has been the source of hours of entertainment, and perhaps some of the best original content I have seen.  Shows like House of Cards, Ozark, Narcos, Longmire, Haunting of Hill House and Santa Clarita Diet.  There has not been anything new on Netflix that I have found interesting for some time, but more importantly, Netflix seems intent (rabidly, or so it would seem) to push a political ideology over the development of compelling content.  This has been present at Netflix for some time, and I've met it with a mild annoyance.  However, the current pace of politically correct programming spewing from Netflix has become more than I can bear.  The straw that broke my back is the latest offering "Cuties" - a film that blatantly and unabashedly sexualizes not just minor girls, but girls as young as 11.

It's a free world (for now), and if Netflix has enough interest in their audience for this drivel, then more power to them - I'm not angry, more sad, because I know what they are capable of, and I stand perplexed that they have sold themselves so far down the river of "woke culture".  Or maybe it's just me...

• Thank You 5

46 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Or maybe it's just me...

It's not just you. I've been considering it for some time. The thing that's kept me sending them $12 a month is Ozark, and that I have limited storage space for owning more media. I am rapidly filling up with albums, and I'll soon need to rent storage somewhere for the albums I've collected and some of my far too long unused ski gear.

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

It's not just you. I've been considering it for some time. The thing that's kept me sending them $12 a month is Ozark, and that I have limited storage space for owning more media. I am rapidly filling up with albums, and I'll soon need to rent storage somewhere for the albums I've collected and some of my far too long unused ski gear.

I thoroughly enjoy Ozark, and it’s most certainly a fan favorite with their subscribers - so what does Netflix do? You guessed it, they CANCEL it... unbelievable. 

• Thank You 2

It's definately not just you. My wife and I used to watch some good stuff but it ended and not much else that interests us. But wait, I heard that the Obamas are settling in as producers of new content. Now that should be real good😫.

• Thank You 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I thoroughly enjoy Ozark, and it’s most certainly a fan favorite with their subscribers - so what does Netflix do? You guessed it, they CANCEL it... unbelievable. 

I didn't know that. That will make it easier to turn it off.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, dennismiller55 said:

Amazon Prime seems to be where I find shows I am interested in.  I rarely find anything good on Netflix.    However, I am currently watching Netflix "Reckoning".  A crime drama that's not  bad.  

I agree Dennis, Prime is where it’s at lately for me too. I am anxiously awaiting the next season of Jack Ryan, and I need to get to season 2 of Hanna - just no time at the moment.  Prime also seems to be much more stable on portable devices (in the hotel at night), and the Prime “suggested for you” algorithm seems to be more accurate (for me at least) than that of Netflix. 

• Thank You 3

I've abandoned What cable we had - I just have no use for it, and I've never been drawn to enough of what's been on Netflix or Prime.  Part of that is I'm not into most of the typical shows, and part is I'm just so overwhelmingly sick and tired of paying for one service after another.   I need my internet, and Website for obvious reasons, but I'm trying to ditch as many pay-as-you-go things as I can.

I've found myself more than content, for what I like, to stick to YouTube videos - even with their recently increased adverts.  I will admit, my interests are not going to work for many, but I'm content with it, and it works on my various android boxes, tablets and PCs.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

I'm behind..., I'm only in season 2 of Longmire, which I enjoy..., and have Ozark queued next. 

I'm very particular on what I will watch.  I guess when the content for me is all viewed, I'll have a choice to make.

As for canceling a good show..., seems that Netflix, Amazon, and the new ones (Hulu, and some international content sources) have got it in their heads to end a good thing at the top.   Vs., running it into the ground, like so many 70's and 80's shows on the big three networks.

• Thank You 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, Daddyjt said:

The straw that broke my back is the latest offering "Cuties" - a film that blatantly and unabashedly sexualizes not just minor girls, but girls as young as 11.

It's a free world (for now), and if Netflix has enough interest in their audience for this drivel, then more power to them - I'm not angry, more sad, because I know what they are capable of, and I stand perplexed that they have sold themselves so far down the river of "woke culture".  Or maybe it's just me...

There's two camels with broken backs now Mark. I just heard about this show from a friend yesterday afternoon. I find myself in a difficult position. I want to watch the film to see if the content actually represents the media noise around the advertising but I don't want to support an immoral, sick production if that is truly what it is. I will choose the safer avenue and just not watch it. The sad thing is if the film actually has value and does not depict children in a poor manner it is receiving huge backlash from just the advertising done for it so far. Maybe morons in advertising will learn from the experience - but probably not.

Selfishly I hope Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. all go this route, along with cable TV. Then, maybe, Americans (especially children) will learn to again find great value and satisfaction in playing with friends outside, having hobbies that require physical motion, reading quality books and learning about our world and the amazing things and people who live on it.

• Thank You 5

• Community Admin
2 hours ago, B-Man said:

[...]

Selfishly I hope Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. all go this route, along with cable TV.

[...]

Ditto. 

I can't help writing (in my mind) the great science fiction novel about the ultimate collapse of these entities..., I wake up in the middle of the night with all kinds of Orwellian thoughts that would make a hell of a read.  It wouldn't sell, though, everyone already knows the story. 😉

...and is hooked on the drug.

Edited by AndrewJohn

I don't have nearly such a fatalistic view of Netflix. Lately I've been focusing on their foreign offerings to get views from a different perspective whether it be films or television series. For $10 a month there's a whole world of programming access.

That said, I wholehearted and enthusiastically recommend the Australian series called Rake. It's truly terrific! Forget the banal attempt at an American remake starring Greg Kinnear - it's absolutely drab by comparison.

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, weitrhino said:

I don't have nearly such a fatalistic view of Netflix. Lately I've been focusing on their foreign offerings to get views from a different perspective whether it be films or television series. For $10 a month there's a whole world of programming access.

That said, I wholehearted and enthusiastically recommend the Australian series called Rake. It's truly terrific! Forget the banal attempt at an American remake starring Greg Kinnear - it's absolutely drab by comparison.

Good insight, thanks.  I too enjoyed several foreign offerings from Netfix in the past - one in particular being Black Mirror.  This is one of my favorite all-time series on TV.  Problem is, the last season they did was over a year and a half ago, and it was THREE (3) episodes... Love, Death and Robots was another great one - dead after one season...

On 8/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, Brian_at_HHH said:

I'm just so overwhelmingly sick and tired of paying for one service after another. 

So true - think of all the monthly dings we have in 2020 that we didn't have a decade ago.

Most are voluntary (with the exception mobile phones which replaced our land lines.)

Every month/quarter/year:

SIRI (really difficult to get programming OTA)

Directv (Necessary evil to time shift NFL)

Verizon

(I passed on having additional wireless services for automobiles)

Netflix

Amazon Prime (I had no idea they offered movies/music for the first four years of membership - subscribed for Prime shipping)

Hulu

Spotify

Xfinity (Internet)

Mcafee (Antivirus)

VPN

Quicken (subscription based now)

Itunes (Cloud data)

Office (subscription based now)

Home Security Monitoring 

Ring Doorbell

Netgear Support (another necessary evil after 90 days)

Even my damn whole house generator now needs monitoring!

• Thank You 2

Damn, you are One Connected Dude, Itch!  🙀

I don't want to even dream of what all that costs per month. I should stop complaining about my few dozen expenses.🤑

1 hour ago, teecelly said:

You are correct, most people have not seen it - HOWEVER, it has been screened for critics, which is where all the adulations of “empowering women” sprang from.  I also watched the ORIGINAL trailer (before Netflix replaced it with a “toned - down” version)... watch the current trailer for yourself, and you’ll get the sense that the concern is well placed.

To put it succinctly, I don’t need to sip sour milk to know it tastes terrible....

• Thank You 2

12 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

You are correct, most people have not seen it - HOWEVER, it has been screened for critics, which is where all the adulations of “empowering women” sprang from.  I also watched the ORIGINAL trailer (before Netflix replaced it with a “toned - down” version)... watch the current trailer for yourself, and you’ll get the sense that the concern is well placed.

To put it succinctly, I don’t need to sip sour milk to know it tastes terrible....

Some idiot(s?) in marketing should have been fired over this.  The poster causing outrage is literally the opposite of the premise of the film.  Which is to highlight the exploitation and plight of underage girls in many parts of the world.  Now that the uproar has begun, No Amount of Facts will change some people's mind as to the reality of the situation.

• Community Admin
On 8/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, itchitch said:

So true - think of all the monthly dings we have in 2020 that we didn't have a decade ago.

Most are voluntary (with the exception mobile phones which replaced our land lines.)

Every month/quarter/year:

SIRI (really difficult to get programming OTA)

Directv (Necessary evil to time shift NFL)

Verizon

(I passed on having additional wireless services for automobiles)

Netflix

Amazon Prime (I had no idea they offered movies/music for the first four years of membership - subscribed for Prime shipping)

Hulu

Spotify

Xfinity (Internet)

Mcafee (Antivirus)

VPN

Quicken (subscription based now)

Itunes (Cloud data)

Office (subscription based now)

Home Security Monitoring 

Ring Doorbell

Netgear Support (another necessary evil after 90 days)

Even my damn whole house generator now needs monitoring!

Good list, Itch.  And, we are generally blind to the line items on our credit card bill, each month.

A few more "subscription" services to add:

Credit monitoring services (LifeLock, Discover, others, etc.)

Malware Bytes (for your computers getting hacked.)

Website subscriptions (if you have a personal website, for domain name, WP and plugin licenses, security, etc.)

ADT (basic security $39/mo, then add on video, etc. etc.)

In my county, if you have ADT, you pay the Sheriff $50 a year or they won't come out when the alarm goes off...)

Costco or Sam's Club memberships.

• Thank You 2

I lost interest in Netflix years ago after they lost the Sony film library, there are only so many tv shows you could watch. But the selection has become better on the past year or two and we love Ozark. And every now and then we get weird audio problems like voices out of sync with movie.