Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

INTRODUCTION TO TUBE AMPS Karma

So, our resident tuba amp rebuilder, James aka Old Texas Dog, needed a project, for a Karma. I donated this Conn organ amp, he worked his magic. VIOLA!  Great looking, great sounding 12V6 push pull amp. Nice job, James! Together, we're giving it away!

IMG_1257.JPG

Karma is open to all members who want to experience a tube amp for the first time.

Why are you wanting a tube amp?

Tell us your story and pick a number between 1 and 100 (no numbers games this time!)

Drawing to be made next Sunday, 9/20 around 6pm Eastern time.

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 9
  • Love this! 4
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, our resident tuba amp rebuilder, James aka Old Texas Dog, needed a project, for a Karma. I donated this Conn organ amp, he worked his magic. VIOLA!  Great looking, great sounding 12V6 push pull am

Wow!   This is one absolutely amazing forum!   I can't say enough.    Thanks.....thanks.....thanks!

Wait? "77" wins? Rigged!

Posted Images

• Community Admin

Awesome karma gents. Thank you for offering it up. I've been the lucky karma recipient more than I deserve, so I'll sit this one out.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I'm in.

I don't have a tube amp, but have an interest in getting one.

My experience with tubes is limited.

Mostly, I remember having a tube tv set and going to Walgreens with my dad to test tubes - it seemed we did that alot back then.

I'm planning on getting a tube amp sometime in the near future.

I did pickup a tube buffer off eBay, but haven't had any luck with it.

Since i just turned 64, I'll use that number. 

Edited by Will Meyer
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I could not do it justice, and I've meddled more than enough with tube guitar amps, and with a tube buffer, so I don't qualify and as a result, I'll take 101 (i.e., not in).  Incredible Kharma, though - and an amazing into to the rabbit-hole, um, err, wonderful world of tube sound.

• Thank You 1

Awesome karma gentlemen - a sincere thank you for offering it up! I have never owned a tube amp, and I would love to revisit the “speaker shootout” top tier with tube sound, to see if the outcome is different.

If I find that the tube sound is Not for me, I will re-karma — I will not let it sit and collect dust in a closet (I’ve already got 20 other amps doing that).

In with 88 please.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I have never owned or even heard a tube amp. Would love to a comparison. I’m in with 20 - maybe making 2020 a little better. I was thinking if I won, I could send it out in a roadshow.

• Thank You 2

Please count me in with 40,  I like many other on here have never experienced the Tube magic.  The closest I have ever come to tube rolling was working in a TV repair shop (my first job in 1986) mostly loading and unloading big console TV's and then checking tubes on the machine. 

• Thank You 1
4 hours ago, BillWojo said:

Great Karma guys! I'm out, Kevin infected me quite a few years ago but someone is really going to enjoy this.

BillWojo

Lol that happens a lot!  Kevin is definitely an enabler for OCCD too!

barry

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Awesome karma gentlemen - a sincere thank you for offering it up! I have never owned a tube amp, and I would love to revisit the “speaker shootout” top tier with tube sound, to see if the outcome is different.

If I find that the tube sound is Not for me, I will re-karma — I will not let it sit and collect dust in a closet (I’ve already got 20 other amps doing that).

In with 88 please.

The more I think about it, I’m not certain I would be able to devote the time to playing with this it would deserve. Therefore, I will respectfully step aside and give others a better shot at it.

thanks for the karma and consideration. 

• Thank You 2

I have had the pleasure of hearing tube amps, but in limited experiences with friends and friends of friends arrangements. Although I have a couple of tube/hybrid preamps, I've never owned a tube amplifier. This is awesome! You guys are awesome! This site is awesome! Please count me in with 46.

Edited by EAHBuckeye
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

So much love !!, temptation is there, and this Conn organ specimen is a beauty.  I believe in science, and the physics behind tubes..., for the record.

Alas, I have been blessed with a karma amp for the year, and am only just now getting the M4.0t from Charlie, warmed up and broken in.

I'm going to kick myself later..., but I'm going to pass, and let others have a better chance of winning.  (Kevin, what else do you have on the shelf in the lab (trailer)..., maybe I'll purchase another project amp..., and work with you and OTD to put it in back in shape, and fill the void?)

Good luck, everyone.  Love ❤️ and Peace ☮️ to all.  Flower Power 🌻, too.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1