Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

INTRODUCTION TO TUBE AMPS Karma

1 hour ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

In short, it's a much more of an interactive journey, when playing with glowing bottles, instead of lumps of silicon. 

This description makes me think of the aesthetic and tactile differences between real and fake breasts. 😁

• Haha 4
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, our resident tuba amp rebuilder, James aka Old Texas Dog, needed a project, for a Karma. I donated this Conn organ amp, he worked his magic. VIOLA!  Great looking, great sounding 12V6 push pull am

Wow!   This is one absolutely amazing forum!   I can't say enough.    Thanks.....thanks.....thanks!

Wait? "77" wins? Rigged!

Posted Images

Eventually, you have to make a decision about which type of system you prefer...

...or not, like me. I have a different system in every room and building. Ever changing. Tube amp one day, solid state the next. 

You never know what I'll be listening to.

Today, I pulled out a SoundStream DA-1 that loner-t had rebuilt be wrf. It was sitting in storage for about a year. Put it in my main system. WOW!

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, kve777 said:

Today, I pulled out a SoundStream DA-1 that loner-t had rebuilt be wrf. It was sitting in storage for about a year. Put it in my main system. WOW!

Define WOW! WOW that it sounded good or WOW that it still worked, or WOW that you remembered you had it?........grin

• Haha 3

THE LIST(so far):

Will Meyer – 64

captainmike – 66

maytag – 20

jeffs – 30

Zenith4me – 77

69Chevelle – 40

EAHBuckeye – 46

niccolosito – 16

Rob – 56

PhilDent – 34

Andyheckl – 33

Any more? Did I miss any? Speak now or forever hold your pizza!

• Thank You 1

I think I posted this before. I was over Kevin's one day and we had just broken down a console to extract the Magnavox 9300 PP tube amp. He hooked it up to some early Pioneer speakers, very efficient ones, with a CD player. He loaded the Doors CD with the song "Riders on the Storm" and played it. When the keyboard player tinkled down the keyboard I looked at Kevin with this stupid grin on my face and said "It Sparkled!"  I have heard that song a thousand times but never like that. It was something I'll never forget.

Kevin laughed at me and said something like "your done, hook line and sinker", he knew I was hooked. I ended up taking that amp home with me.

So who ever wins this, find a nice set of efficient speakers to pair it with. Heresy's work well.

My system is all tube now and I'm using Altec speakers. Best sound I've ever had.

Kevin tricked me but I have no regrets. It's been a fun journey.

BillWojo

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

The Magnavox 9300 is about 12-15 watts and this one is 20 watts per channel. On the very affordable side I use a pair of Pioneer Andrew Joes BS22 book shelf In the shop that work very nice. Around 100.00 for the pair. Something more efficient would even be better. The amp is like 2 amps on one chassis that shares one very large power transformer. The opts are large and matched also. After I finished the circuits for each amp they are exact copies of each other and balanced with just enough NFB to make the amp very stable. The tubes are very affordable and easy to find.

I put the sound right up there with some of the Fisher’s and Pilot amps I have done.

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

oldtexasdog, I have no doubt that your amp sounds much better than that old tired maggie did. Despite being old and tired it still blew me away. Who ever gets this should be in for a real treat!

Good luck everyone!

BillWojo

• Thank You 1
5 hours ago, kve777 said:

I volunteer to hold the pizza!  No guarantees you'll get it back, later!  🍕

Good luck - let us know what it's like!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BillWojo said:

oldtexasdog, I have no doubt that your amp sounds much better than that old tired maggie did. Despite being old and tired it still blew me away. Who ever gets this should be in for a real treat!

Good luck everyone!

BillWojo

Those Maggies are some of my go to favs! A little light on the output but very refined and delicate sound. The one Bob helped me with 7 years ago was a Maggie. Heck even though it was only 15 watts he hooked it up to a pair of ALIII’s at CF and it filled the room, not loud but full. Everyone’s mouth hit the floor!

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • That Rocks 1
On 9/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, kve777 said:

THE LIST(so far):

Will Meyer – 64

captainmike – 66

maytag – 20

jeffs – 30

Zenith4me – 77

69Chevelle – 40

EAHBuckeye – 46

niccolosito – 16

Rob – 56

PhilDent – 34

Andyheckl – 33

Anxious.jpg

• Thank You 1

Will Meyer – 64

captainmike – 66

maytag – 20

jeffs – 30

Zenith4me – 77   WINNER!

69Chevelle – 40

EAHBuckeye – 46

niccolosito – 16

Rob – 56

PhilDent – 34

Andyheckl – 33

• That Rocks 3

Congratulations @Zenith4me.  Lucky day, Lucky week!

Unlucky that all your gear is packed, and you'll have to wait to hear this amp !

When do you arrive at the new digs?  

We know the first thing you will need to unpack is your Audio Gear..., right?  😉 

• Haha 1