1987 Carver system in use today !!!

I purchased a Carver system in 1987 that am currently still original owner of to power a set of JBL L100t's , and am still totally blown away by sound and performance to this day . I did recently have the speakers re foamed  and  after listening to a set of Polk Audio's , am in love all over again , there really is no comparison. I have the CT 7 pre amp and TL 3100 cd player. This was close to $5000.00 in the day but the richness and pure power  that rocked on was priceless . I met a lot of neighbours with this system ( yes some dressed in blue telling me to turn it down ) but  they always said at least it sounded good loud. Anybody else running 33 year old gear with no issues to speak of?

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 6

Nice.

I had a CT-7 and loved it, but sold it and bought a C-16, which I'm now having it refreshed at Nelion.  I'm a big fan of JBLs and also have a set of L100t's as well as LX-55s and LX-44s, but the L100t's are my flagship speaker - I recently upgraded the crossover to T3 standards.

I've never owned a TL-3100, but I've heard good things about them.

As far as old gear goes, the electronics seem to hold up pretty well.  The mechanical devices seem more problematic as the plastic components age, get brittle, and break.

My amps I've not had any issues with, but I choose to start rotating them in to have them refreshed. I'm hopeful to get another 30 years out of them.

Btw... Welcome to the site!

There is always something interesting and worthwhile in the threads. I've learned alot in my time here. 

Edited by Will Meyer
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome @Patstachioand I can say yes to that question. I purchased my first Carver receiver ( MXR150) In Germany while in the service in June of 1987 and just had it serviced by Greg @ Nelion Audio last March. I rebuilt my Cerwin Vega's and I was so happy to relive the early days. 

Everything sounded so good that I decided to get the OCCD vaccine and it has been all up hill since. 

Have fun here and enjoy the site. I have and there are plenty of people to help with pretty much anything you need or a path you want to go down. 

Fotolia_9058674_XS.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Patstachio, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Many of us are long term Carver owners/addicts. I bought my first piece, an M-400t in the early 80's, 83 IIRC, and my second M-400t a couple of years later. I still have a pair of them, but I don't know if it's the same pair. I've bought and sold several, and I gave one to each of my daughters.

Now that you've reached Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome Patstachio! I wish I could have afforded the gear back then but I was a poor college kid. I had to wait until I was 50+ to get my gear. We hope you enjoy the site and we like all things Carver and other brands too........grin

• Thank You 1

I have some DQ-20's that are 1987 model. Had to get new foam surrounds a few years back but other than that they sound like brand new. Also had a 1993 Carver amp recapped last month and 99% of everything was still in spec.

Glad to have you here!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

@Patstachio I am still using all my carver gear which I purchased between 1988 - 1992 while in the serving in the Navy.

Those were the good old days, plenty of disposible income to buy music equipment and cd's.

Edited by Walrus Gumboot
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

Welcome.jpg

Welcome @Patstachio!  You are in great company here.  That's a great setup, and will be very hard to beat without boatloads of money, and even then it may be questionable.

I can't claim to be the original owner to any of my Carver gear, so you have my admiration.  When you get it right, no need to change.  

Your gear may work perfectly for many years to come, but you are really getting past the best before date for the capacitors, at least, but the equipment you have lends itself extremely well to updating, and in the case of the M1.0t, a whole series of fantastic mods should you want to up the ante.  No matter what, there's no reason that equipment isn't going to be singing beautifully for the next 33+ years.

Regardless , kick back, and join in, and remember to enjoy the music!

Welcome patstaschio!!!!!

Great to have you. You will like it around here. I have a Carver receiver that i have had since 1986. Finally had to have some work done this year but otherwise it has been flawless. The guys here helped me with that. Lots of great guys here that are always willing to help and are just  lots of fun along the way.

• Love this! 1