Just signed up, was a Carver owner in the mid-80’s. Had a m1.0, C1, and TX11.  Had kids and sold it all, you know for food and mortgage...

anyhow, back in the game for the past couple years.  Built a home theater with 2 carver amps m0.5t and a AV-405 with a emotiva UMC-200 pre-amp.  (I wanted HDMI switching).  Polk LSI15’s for the mains and matching center channel.  I use Mirage nanosats for the surrounds and rears.  Carver sub is also in the mix.  Coupled that to a 129” projector screen.  Movies are great and plenty of power on tap.

I'm building  a 2ch system with a C1 preamp and a m-200t amp driving a set of magnepan MMG’s that we’re given to me.  

The C1 has the Billd mod and the M200t has been rebuilt.  Starting out with fresh components.  I do have an issue with the m200t it randomly overloads on the right channel then goes very low volume and extremely fizzy....  was thinking it was the magi’s low impedance but hooked up a set of 8ohm Boston Acoustics with the same result...  probably have to send it out for service but any suggestions would be appreciated 

pat

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome Mr. Adams to the Carversite. You are definitely at the right place to get information about your M200t and any other rabbit hole you decide to seek. There are very good people here with a wealth of knowledge. 

I have a couple M200t's that I went through and they are really good small amps. There will be many people welcoming you and steering you in the right direction which ever way you want to go. ~^

Fotolia_9058674_XS.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Been a member for about 7 hours and have already found a thread that may have been helpful to my m200t overload issue.  Dirty pot in the right channel bass control in the C1 and slightly dirty at that.  I hit all of the pots and switches with  deoxit blew everything out with compressed air.  Pots are clean now and have been running for an hour with no overload (I’ve been here before, it’s a very intermittent problem). Time will tell.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

11 minutes ago, Pat Adams said:

Dirty pot in the right channel bass control in the C1 and slightly dirty at that.  I hit all of the pots and switches with  deoxit blew everything out with compressed air.  Pots are clean now and have been running for an hour with no overload (I’ve been here before, it’s a very intermittent problem). Time will tell.

Pat,

I never use tone controls on my C-1, I always leave the tone switch in the out(disabled) position.  And when my daughter turns them on(She loves the bass) I can instantly tell because the bass loosens up on my music so I immediately turn it off.   Try turning off the tone controls if you suspect there is a problem in that circuit.  Just thinking out loud.

Edited by Turbo
Typo
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Hello Pat, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

This site has many archived threads regarding all kinds of issues. I'm glad that you've put us to good use. :D

Now that you've reached Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Welcome to the Party !!

Glad you already found threads that may help.

The information here is incredible..., almost unbelievable.

Welcome.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome @PatAdams! Glad you found us. We like all things Carver and other gear too......grin. You have a good start on your OCCD journey, with a little more time and money you will have a great sounding collection of gear.......grin

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Whoops - forgot to add a Welcome message to you, Pat!   :$

Glad you were able to find your way back to the Carver world.  There are lots of people, here who can relate with your path.

Sounds like you have a great system - and there are lots of folks here who can help you with the issues you are having.  Good luck with it - I won't offer advice as it's likely to result in worse results than to help.  :)

• That Rocks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, Brian_at_HHH said:

Whoops - forgot to add a Welcome message to you, Pat!   :$

Glad you were able to find your way back to the Carver world.  There are lots of people, here who can relate with your path.

Sounds like you have a great system - and there are lots of folks here who can help you with the issues you are having.  Good luck with it - I won't offer advice as it's likely to result in worse results than to help.  :)

Been several days with no overload, not claiming victory yet but looking promising.  I was a Fire Controlman in the navy years ago and worked on gun and missile guidance radars and computers (taught Radar for a few years also) made a career out of working on aviation automation, navigation systems maintenance.  My world has moved on to software so the old component level troubleshooting is a bit rusty 🤨.  I was convinced it was the amps protection circuit but at the load side of the amp.  When I read the thread about C1 tone controls causing a overload condition in the amp, the lightbulb went off.  On a side note, since cleaning the pots, there is a noticeable difference in the clarity of the system .  Another ahah moment those pots needed cleaning period.  I do feel compelled to use the tone controls with my magi MMG’s, they are a bit bright to me and the bass is lacking.  They need a bit of EQ IMHO.  The MMG’s sonically disappear in the room.  The C1 with the BillD mod is amazing not a hint of unwanted noise.

• That Rocks 1

Hey Pat, welcome to the circus.

Often it's the little things that can trip us up. Hopefully cleaning the controls did the trick!

Curious here: How did you end up with a BillD C1 and a rebuilt M200t. Did you do the upgrades?

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, RodH said:

Hey Pat, welcome to the circus.

Often it's the little things that can trip us up. Hopefully cleaning the controls did the trick!

Curious here: How did you end up with a BillD C1 and a rebuilt M200t. Did you do the upgrades?

Bought the C1 on Craigslist for $75 and sent it out to get the BillD mod done.  Was traveling a lot at the time and didn’t really have hobby time then. Found the M200t on EBay and it had just been refreshed.  Paid a premium for that but felt it was worth it.  The project I would like to tackle is building a set of electrostatic speakers.  That one speaks to me

• That Rocks 1

33 minutes ago, RodH said:

E-statics? Get together with Charlie (jazzman53)  He's got DIY covered on that front!

Who did you send the C1 to?

Actually I saw jazzman’s videos on YouTube, contacted him, he told me about this site... we are already talkin’ 

i sent the C1 to marksound in Schaumburg I’ll,, it was an eBay “purchase”.  He’s handy with a soldering iron I can confirm that very clean shiny solder cones.  I did clean up flux on both pieces I was always anal about flux residue.  I do think the flux was 1980’s vintage, it was on components  not related to the updates.

• That Rocks 2

8 minutes ago, RodH said:

Looks like you will be well on your way on all counts! Excellent!

Actually, I'm not acquainted with Marksound. Is he a member here?

Marksound is the company name, Bernie is the guy I was emailing.... no clue if he is a member of the site

• That Rocks 1