Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another meet-up at Tim’s house - getting closer to a west coast CF...!

It’s always nice when you can kill 2 (or 5) birds with one stone.

I just ended a 4 month work assignment (with zero days off), and REALLY needed a break.  I’ve also been wanting to share some of what I saw during my prior assignment in CA with my family. My daughter has also always wanted to see the ocean.  I wanted to see my great friend Tim ( @PhilDent )again, AND there was the issue of picking up a certain pair of NHT 2.9 speakers.

So we rented a rig (free points) that would hold the NHTs and luggage, booked a hotel (more free points), and hit the road to CA Friday morning at 5am.  11 hours later, we had gone from a balmy 22 degrees in northern UT to a sublime 76 degrees in Long Beach. Saturday was spent hitting the beach in Santa Monica, driving up the PCH, hitting Hollywood Blvd, then attending a Halloween gathering at Tim’s place. Let me tell you, Tim and his wife know how to throw a party - strippers, blow and a live band (jk).  In truth, it was a great family get together that my family and I were welcomed into with open arms.  My 14 year old daughter has a whole new group of best friends (in fact it was her insistence that kept us from leaving until midnight), and is chatting with Tim’s daughter on line right now (I think).  There was of course more food that one could imagine, the centerpiece being Tim’s brisket - which was amazing!

we did more sightseeing Sunday morning, and descended on Tim’s home again in the late afternoon. Tim had the foresight to invite another site member, Dale ( @Receiver2000 ) for an evening of tunes and pizza.  I would be remiss if I didn’t take a second to mention what a great guy Dale is - within 10 minutes we were all old friends, swapping stories and enjoying Tim’s system.  Dinner was great, but the listening was even better - Dale and I each brought some tune to share, and we got a solid 3 hours or so with Tim’s rig (which sounds fantastic, by the way!)

Then we loaded up my (second) pair of 2.9 speakers.  I still feel somewhat bad about this, as they had found a temporary home In Tim’s garage system, and more importantly, his wife’s exercise music system. Then the three of us stood out in the yard for another hour chatting. 

As I drove out of CA Monday morning, I had accomplished all of my goals with the trip, AND as an added bonus got to meet another of our fine community in person. 

Thanks again for your fine hospitality Tim, and it was great meeting you Dale.  If we could get another half dozen or so, we’d have a west coast CarverFest...;-)

Edited by Daddyjt
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 5
  • Love this! 4

Ok Dale, I take back the nice comments I made about you - meeting you is going to cost me $100 right off the bat, to acquire that awesome disc you brought😂😬

81B78B83-377A-46BA-9906-52EE8699FAA2.thumb.jpeg.7a1dbe63f983176860614c2c3c99ba91.jpeg

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 4

What a priviledge it was to  spend some time with Tim and Mark.  As I said to Mark after meeting, if i could wish for anything it would be that  all of us Carversite guys could actually spend  some time with each other like we just did. The online thing is really really fantastic but what  would it be like if we could find a way to be together locally if possible.  Tim was so very kind to host to provide this opportunity for Mark and I. And damn does he have a nice setup!!!!! Damn, that was one unforgetable  tasty listening experience. 

• That Rocks 5
  • Love this! 1
9 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

there is a $17 version on Amazon, but I want the 20 bit version....

I have several DMP productions (Flim & the BBs) and they are excellent.

I'm going to add this to my collection - thanks.

Wouldn't the title of the disc imply that they are all 20bit ??

5 minutes ago, RodH said:

The mastering was done in 20Bit

So how do you tell the difference between the two final products? The only difference I could find was the ASN number. The Amazon title is different but that seems somewhat arbitrary anyway (unless the date is the key here?).

image.thumb.png.aa7bd9754893e8482131d6ad33194621.png

image.thumb.png.338c1fadf2743471dbfb3becdca82529.png

so what's the difference between these two (besides $92.27)?  Both say "A 20-bit taste".  If these are actually different - there's a lot of deception going on (intended or unintended). Neither has a track listing.

Edited by jeffs

Buying discs form Amazon, you take your chances. Most are sold from outside sellers.

Prices can be all over the map - as you've seen. Sellers can ask any price they wish.

Keep in mind both versions were made in the 90's, so the chances of getting a new one are slim.

23 minutes ago, RodH said:

Buying discs form Amazon, you take your chances. Most are sold from outside sellers.

Prices can be all over the map - as you've seen

Agree - I was looking for a specific title a while back. Found two on Amazon, comparably priced. Bought  one for under $5. The next time I looked, the only existing one left had jumped to >$100.

26 minutes ago, RodH said:

Keep in mind both versions were made in the 90's, so the chances of getting a new one are slim.

I don't care new/used .... I'm going to play it after all, not put it on a shelf. If the seller says "like new" condition, that's been good enough in the past.

Thanks.

I buy most of my discs through Discogs. Most of the time there a multiple copies available. Shipping is usually not too bad. Most of the time arrival is within a week and a half.

They have a solid feedback and resolution system.

A lot of stuff I can't find through Amazon and the other North American outlets can be found there.