Soundstream C-1 needs an amp to partner with.

Found this site while researching some older Carver amps.  Got my approval so here I am from Temecula CA.  Looks like there's a fountain of knowledge residing here.

After being stored away for the last 10 or 12 years I recently set up the Soundstream C-1 preamp I bought in 1990.  Forgot how nice it was.  Browsing the forums I see there are a few members familiar with the SS C-1.

Listening to the C-1 for a couple weeks now I'm inspired to set up a separate audio system for my vinyl and cd's.  I'm looking for a power amp to pair with the C-1.  Seems the DA-1 is pretty scarce these days and my browsing has led me to Carver.  My question for the vets here who know the C-1 is waddya think?  I've been checking out some of the Carver M 1.0t that are around.  My first inclination is that might be a good match.   I'd greatly appreciate whatever input the pros here could provide. What other amps might provide a nice pairing with the C-1?  Looking to stay in the same era as the C-1 with the amp.  I also have the T-1 tuner I'll pull out of the closet...just because :)

Any and all suggestions would be greatly welcomed.  I'm seeing M 1.0t's in the $400-$600 range.  That would be my comfort range in putting this system together. 

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Hello rcdarcy, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

While I can't say about how Carver amps will pair with the Soundstream C-1, I can say that an M500t paired with a Carver C-1 or a Carver 4000t is incredible. So is the M1.0t. To these old ears, the M500t is slightly warmer, more musical, and the M1.0t is more powerful, has more slam. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in an amp. I prefer the M500t's for music, and the M1.0t's for my home theater. My ears, my mileage, and of course, your mileage may vary. :D 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

5 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hello rcdarcy, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

While I can't say about how Carver amps will pair with the Soundstream C-1, I can say that an M500t paired with a Carver C-1 or a Carver 4000t is incredible. So is the M1.0t. To these old ears, the M500t is slightly warmer, more musical, and the M1.0t is more powerful, has more slam. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in an amp. I prefer the M500t's for music, and the M1.0t's for my home theater. My ears, my mileage, and of course, your mileage may vary. :D 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

Thanks Sk1Bum.  I have old ears too...fortunately they don't need any "enhancements" yet to enjoy music :)

Thanks for your old ear comparison of the M1.0t and the M500t.  Been looking at the 500t and I like the old school meters.  Would look great with my ancient reel-to-reel tape deck.  Haven't used it in years, it just sits there for the coolness factor.  I like the idea that it may be more musical too, that's their intended use...music!  They also look to be about the same price point as the M1.0t which is good.

And yup, the shoes are off, sipping some hooch, and listening to "records"!

• That Rocks 2

5 hours ago, RodH said:

Hi rcdarcy. We have a resident Soundstream resource.

@kve777 You're up bud!

Thanks Rod.  I did see some of his stuff.  Read about a Road Show he did with the C-1.  Very cool idea the Road Show thing.  Hopefully he'll find his way here over the weekend.

• Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, rcdarcy said:

Have decided to move in a different direction.  Well be putting the C-1 and T-1 up for sale.  Anyone interested please send pm. Thanks.

@gburke there's ya a C1

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, rcdarcy said:

Well be putting the C-1 and T-1 up for sale. 

Since this is a Carver site, and Carver's most popular preamp is a C-1, I think you really need to clarify what you are selling here as to eliminate confusion.  Is it a Carver C-1 or a Soundstream C-1? Thanks.

• Thank You 2

Looks like I'm late to this party, so, WELCOME rcdarcy!  Glad you found us!  I have a full SoundStream SystemOne going as a bedroom system, C-1, T-1, DA-1, R-1. Sounds great through ADS L-730 speakers. At last count I had 16 C-1's, 7 T-1's, 6 DA-1's, 5 DA-2's and a bunch of other stuff. 

I must ask, why are you ending your quest? What direction are you going in? While I'm not buying any more C-1's or T-1's, what are you asking? Just to help those here, that SoundStream gear is quite decent. They are both remote capable, the tuner only remote via the preamp, by the way.