Some new MFSL UD1S albums that are coming

Sk1Bum

Crosby, Stills, & Nash - Crosby, Stills, & Nash

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years*

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Blood, Sweat, & Tears - Blood, Sweat, & Tears*

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather*

*I know are available for pre-order. I'll be calling about the other three tomorrow or Monday. 

BST & SRV were $125/copy when I pre-ordered them.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

I just got an email from Mobile Fidelity. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather will start shipping early next month. :D 

If you're interested, get your orders in before it sells out..

• That Rocks 1

10 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

@Sk1Bum do you have the link(s) handy?

I should have included them. Thanks

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather at Music Direct

I've preordered all of the ones I've received by calling Music Direct - 800-449-8333. Preorders are available several weeks earlier then they're listed on the website. Orders over $49 get free shipping at Music Direct.

This is the online list at Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs . 

Mobile Fidelity doesn't list their phone number on their web site, and I don't see free shipping.

• Thank You 2

On 11/13/2020 at 7:11 PM, Sk1Bum said:

Crosby, Stills, & Nash - Crosby, Stills, & Nash

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years*

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Blood, Sweat, & Tears - Blood, Sweat, & Tears*

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather*

*I know are available for pre-order. I'll be calling about the other three tomorrow or Monday. 

BST & SRV were $125/copy when I pre-ordered them.

I just got off the phone with Music Direct. All of this list and Elvis Presley, From Elvis In Memphis are available for pre-order. The price is still $125/copy.

• That Rocks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, oldtexasdog said:

Good to know about SRV in Dec. Ordered mine 3 months ago.

I just got off the phone with Music Direct. I was told by Customer Service (Tom), this starts shipping this week. 

Thanks for reminding me to order some stuff. Got "Breakfast In America" to see if it is listenable with this recording, and "Transit Authority" which I have never owned before. I have a live album that might be the same, but Not MFSL.

Edited by 4krow

I just got an email from Mobile Fidelity that Janis Joplin, Pearl, Ultra Disc One Step is available for preorder. $125 per copy.

MoFi_UD1S_Janis_Pearl_01_Render_Box_Cove

I have the 2011 "Music on Vinyl" recording of SRV - Couldnt Stand the Weather. Amazing recording.  Tin Pan Alley gives me goose bumps.

I also have a 2005 "Friday Music" recording of Boz Scaggs - Some Change. Pretty incredible voice and recording of it.

5 minutes ago, Zenith4me said:

Has anybody received a copy yet?

I don't have mine yet, nor a shipping notification. Music Direct almost always ships FedEx Ground.

WoHo!! FedX has my SRV LP out for delivery:D/ I just got the new needle running on the TT so I know what I will be doing later.

Opps as a matter of fact here's Fed-X! Now just clean it and give it a listen.

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • That Rocks 2

Spoiler Alert!!

Those that have ordered this album READ NO FUTHER

You have been warned!!

Well after waiting 6 months My MoFi 45rpm Ultra disk arrived. I deep cleaned it and put it on the Technics TT that had my new Denon DL 301 MK ii cart. Things just weren't quit right? I changed carts out and put in the Ortofon 2M Bronze-Now that's better but still not quit right? I slowed it down just a hair-better but still? The Instruments and vocals are real clean and no small detail is missing but????

I am something of a SRV aficionado and I have all his CD's and saw him many times in all sorts of different venues from Dallas to Austin, even got to jam with him one night at a open mic night he hosted at the Continental Club on Congress in Austin back in the 70's. So I know my Steve.

It finally dawned on me what I was, or rather  what I was not, hearing. It seems Krieg Wunderlich and Rob LoVerde in their infinate wisdom in Mastering this album decided to bring Vaughan's vocals up front and center with clarity. This pushed the instruments back and lowered their dynamics and decay! IE: that classic snare rim snap in Cold Shot for one instance. I don't know about what most folks look for in a SRV recording but if I want to hear vocals I look to other artist like Nora Jones, Eva Cassidy, Frank Sinatra, and many others but not SRV! I want to hear his guitar Genius  first and foremost along with the drums, snares, bass, ect. with emphasis and feeling.  His vocals while good are not what I consider his strong point. While I would imagine those with no real prior knowledge (???🙄) of SRV would enjoy this mix and pressing I feel let down and as it's my first purchase of one of these MoFi Ultradisc and if this is what to expect (someone arbitrarily changing a Artist performances and putting their perceptions on it ) I dare say it will be my last. Especially at 125.00 and a 6 month wait per album.

Old Cowboy.jpg

Now if you already bought this album and went ahead and read this - I warned you_ and I did not want to bias your opinion as I am looking foward to reading it.

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, oldtexasdog said:

Spoiler Alert!!

Those that have ordered this album READ NO FUTHER

You have been warned!!

Spoiler Alert!! part 2

read no further if you've not listened to this yet.

While I won't say that I'm disappointed, this recording isn't as enjoyable as Texas Flood. On my main rig, the bass is prominent enough that I turned sub volume to zero. Turning off Sonic Holography, and bypassing the tube buffer helped. I agree, vocals (and bass) are too pronounced. Voodoo Chile vocals are too much also, but I do like the guitar solos. My favorite track is Tin Pan Alley on side 3, clear, precise, still I would like a bit more bump on the guitar and the bass backed off a bit.

My guess is that it's the difference in the original master tapes. From the Mobile Fidelity web site:

"Mobile Fidelity believes that mastering systems should be neutral and transparent. The essential idea is to unveil all the detailed musical information on the original master recording without adding deterioration, coloration or other sonic artifacts."

https://mofi.com/pages/about-us

Some of the old Mofi advertising stated something along the lines of direct from the original studio masters, unaltered so that you would hear the recording as it was recorded, and not remixed for a mass production copy. I have not seen that ad for several years. 

Damn, now I sound like a Mofi apologist, and that's not my intention.

I like Texas Flood much better, and Donald Fagen-The Nightfly, Marvin Gaye-What's Goin' On, & Yes-Fragile are much better recordings too.

James, sorry to hear that you're disappointed, but you should have no trouble recouping your money and then some on ebay. So far most of the UD1S releases have doubled (or more) once they're out of print, and used near-mint copies get a premium over the original release price too.

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Carole King, Tapestry is available for preorder as of today, UD1S-0030

https://mofi.com/collections/preorders/products/carole-king-tapestry

$125 + shipping on the mofi site.

It's not listed at Music Fidelity yet, but you can call them @ 800-449-8333  $125 with free shipping.

MoFi_UD1S_Carole_King_Tapestry_01_Render

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

I preordered a couple of more MFSL UD1S albums today. Paul Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years, and There Goes Rhymin' Simon (no image available yet)

If you're interested, you'll have to either order directly from Mobile Fidelity (and pay shipping)

https://mofi.com/collections/preorders/products/paul-simon-still-crazy-after-all-these-years-ultradisc-one-step

Or call Music Direct and get free shipping:  800-449-8333

MoFi_UD1S_Paul_Simon_StillCrazy_Cover_15

• Thank You 1

I just got the email that my Blood, Sweat & Tears Ultra Disc One Step albums have shipped. They should be here Monday.

MoFi_UD1S_Blood_Sweat_and_Tears_BST_01_R

• That Rocks 1