Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Synergy is real = equipment matching

This is a bit interesting to me.

A few years ago, I completed a C1 BillD (mostly) modification. After that BillD mod, I tried matching that C1 with a few different amps\speakers that I have (all MOTL) and I couldn't find a good match. That C1 just sounded thin, and I just couldn't like it. I put it in the closet.

Recently, I've acquired a m200t for repair and I bought it, since I'm a glutton for punishment and wanted a "matching' anthracite carver to match the C1. So, that repair happened and the m200t is now a happy amp.

Of course, Covid homebound me is swapping all sorts of equip around for listening pleasure. I have a set of the original Linn DMS Isobariks - I've spent good money and time on these speakers, but couldn't make them sound "good". They also exist in a closet as I'm TERRIBLE about selling gear. And they are ugly as sin. Someone painted them white, I installed homemade grills... not pretty.

So, you can see this coming.

I don't like the C1 and I don't like the Isobariks. But I did tie those two together thru the m200t and BAM! - they all work. Yup, dammit - it sounds good -really good. I'm pleased as I knew the C1 was a good unit. I knew the Isobariks could sound good if pushed correctly. And maybe amps other than the m200t would work here, but I'm happy with what is happening, so no changes needed.

Seriously, I didn't expect this - I assumed the speakers would be sold someday and the Caver equip I had no plans for. But now this setup needs to find a room, so to speak, LOL.

Here's the whole point (I'm a bit bored) - synergy. IMO, neither the speakers nor the C1 were working for me. I've tried both with MANY different units. Never did like any of it.

But now here we are. Finally I have a winner.

I'll say it one more time, this combo sounds really good.

PXL_20201108_153742761.thumb.jpg.1a145d3788879ebfecea58fd82dacd59.jpgLinn_DMS_01.thumb.jpg.c31baf6ec28e2ff31dd564f88cc52060.jpg

Edited by Dingman
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 5

If it sounds good to you, that is what is important. It is good you tried different setups before condemning the gear. I believe that is why most of us have a variety of gear to put together what sounds best to us. Glad to hear you have setup that is a keeper........grin

Edited by Dadvw
  • Thank You 2

There is no way that I could agree with you more. I find and lose synergy in my system, constantly changing things in and out as I do my builds. My Vincent preamp, though handy, doesn't quite get me there. It breaks down, and I build a 'temporary' preamp while it is being repaired. Uh, no, the temp preamp has a mating to the rest of my system that is astounding to me. Probably should write some of this shit down over the years.

• Thank You 3
15 hours ago, 4krow said:

There is no way that I could agree with you more. I find and lose synergy in my system, constantly changing things in and out as I do my builds. My Vincent preamp, though handy, doesn't quite get me there. It breaks down, and I build a 'temporary' preamp while it is being repaired. Uh, no, the temp preamp has a mating to the rest of my system that is astounding to me. Probably should write some of this shit down over the years.

No,I disagree. Forgetting has a magic side for us old solderers. We can have the same discovery experience over and over. Besides, if you wrote it down you’d forget you had. 😜

• Thank You 3
  • Haha 1