new member from Repentigny,Quebec,canada

hi everyone!

i recently bought a pair of totally refurbished woofer ,tweeter and xover Carver Amazing Platinum 4 !

i had a question concerning the screws that are on the tweeter close to the magnets (the magnets are reglued also), had a slight buzz on piano notes while playing a little louder than moderate volume. i noticed i had a few of these screws were loose, i slightly tighten them and the buzz went away 80-90%. but i have no idea what they are holding so i dont want to kink the metal in the back or damage something inside. is there a torque number as a reference? any help is appreciated. other than that its an ''amazing'' speaker :) my friend who had a pair but weren't all refurbished felt they sounded lifeless, but now he want's to trade his Mirage M-1 for mine 

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome to the site, @tregv10.

Amazings are amazing.  I love my pair.  You have top of the line, end of the line model, if I read your description right.

As for the screw tightening, others may chime in.  There is no torque value that I know of, and tightening these has been reported as a solution for some cases of buzzing, as you have found.

However, it may not be a long-term solution..., and the ribbons may need to be eventually rebuilt.  

Ed ( @sea ) here on this forum is the go-to guy for the best ribbon repair.  He has all the correct jigs and materials to rebuild these better than original.

OTOH, if tightening the screws addresses your problem - let it go for now! Enjoy them, until such time you want to invest more in them.

Again, WELCOME to our site.

follow-on..., a couple more posts and thank-you's and you'll be able to post pictures.  We love pictures.  share a few of your rig, what amps you are driving the Amazings with, and such.  

• Thank You 3

Hello tregv10, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I would tighten the screws until snug, and then leave it there. If that doesn't solve your buzzing, then the ribbons may need to be rebuilt. Like AndrewJohn said, sea is the goto man for ribbon repair.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

Welcome aboard to Carversite train! You have a nice set of speakers there and glad you fixed them. If you hang here long enough, OCCD will infect you and there is no cure. Enjoy the site and your music.......grin

• Haha 1

i have 3 knobs in the back which to my understanding they are volumes? or really sound shaper? could they be bypassed ? or better off leaving them , what about the fuse any gain putting a better one? its in the signal path right? if you changed it what brand would you suggest? thx !!! 

Welcome.jpg.524f7da244d4e1c3036bb8f3f7bf1a0c.jpg

Welcome to the group, @tregv10!  Great to have another member from north of the '49th, here.  There are beginning to be enough of us, now.  :)

I can't offer any advice on the Amazing's, but I see that others have already provided the best info about Ed for repairs, etc.   Follow their advice - your Amazing's will have a long happy life for many many years to come.  Your friend is likely right to want them over his Mirage's - they don't wear that name for nothing.

As others have suggested, when you get a few more posts under your belt, please post some pictures of your setup.  In the mean time, relax and enjoy the music!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin
On 12/6/2020 at 6:56 PM, tregv10 said:

i have 3 knobs in the back which to my understanding they are volumes? or really sound shaper? could they be bypassed ? or better off leaving them , what about the fuse any gain putting a better one? its in the signal path right? if you changed it what brand would you suggest? thx !!! 

Those are adjustments you can make to the crossover.  I'd refer to the manual for "Amazing MK IV" in the manual library here on the site, to determine the best settings.  Or, put them at 12:00, and adjust and listen, adjust and listen..., repeat repeat..., etc.  Your own years are the final decision maker.  And, well, for different amps, you may prefer different settings.

(I have no experience, as My amazings are an earlier version, w/o the crossover adjustment potentiometers. )

• Thank You 1