New from Ohio

Hello,

I've always been interested in stereo equipment and high end audio.  I sold mid/high end audio when I was in college during the mid 90s.

I've owned lots of gear over the years.  Most I only kept for a few years, then got bored and moved onto something else.  I've found that for whatever reasons I'm partial to the Bob Carver and Ken Kantor designs.  Carver and NHT seem to match really well together, at least to my ears...so that's what I've hung onto over the years.

I've owned all this stuff since brand new.  All is near mint to mint condition.  Still have all the original boxes, manuals, etc. 

Main System

Carver CT-27v

Carver TFM-25

Carver SD/A-360

AudioEngine B1

NHT 2.5i

NHT Sub One

Office

Carver TFM-6cb

AudioEngine B1

NHT 1.3A

NHT SW1V

Never had any problems or repairs other than having to replace the drive belt on the  SD/A-360 due to age.  At some point, I'll probably have the TFM-25 refreshed.  

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 5

Hello tpoppa, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

While I've owned Carver gear since the early 80s, I am new to NHT. I've owned a pair of 3.3s for less than a month, and I enjoy them a great deal. I imagine they'll have a long term spot in my home theater.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

While I've owned Carver gear since the early 80s, I am new to NHT. I've owned a pair of 3.3s for less than a month, and I enjoy them a great deal. I imagine they'll have a long term spot in my home theater.

Ah the 3.3.  That was my holy grail speaker when I was a poor college student & the price was well beyond my means.

I never owned them, but I have spent time with them.  I remember needing lots of power to drive them.  They had amazing imaging and deep, tight, controlled bass that never seemed boomy or sloppy.  Side by side, I liked them better than some highly regarded speaks that cost 2 & 3 times as much.

They are still highly regarded, and definitely a standout from a golden age of high end audio.  Great find!

• Thank You 2

I'll be picking your brains on how the Carver components age.

I had Kenwood KA-8100 (integrated amp) from the 70s.  It used to be a great party stereo, but as it aged the bass faded to anemic levels & it became fatiguing to listen to.  I would up selling rather than fixing that one.

OTOH, I had 1978 Sony STR-V5 receiver.  This was a true 70s monster receiver from the era when Sony stuff was actually impressive.  It was a great looking piece of gear.  The build quality was several notches above the Kenwood and it aged much better.    It still sounded great when I parted with it last year.

To my ears, my Carvers still sound excellent.  I'm curious to hear how others have seen them age...and when it might be time to refresh them.   

Edited by tpoppa
Typo
  • Thank You 1

Welcome @tpoppa! You have an impressive collection of gear and boxes and manuals! 
Since your gear is approaching 30 years old, a refresh on your amps will definitely keep them running longer and will definitely sound better. I have had all my amps refreshed and I could hear the before and after differences. I recommend it for a long term solution.......grin

• Thank You 1

Amen to what Dadvw said. A refresh will bring your Carver gear back to (at least) new in the box status, and usually to the next level. I don't recall seeing threads about the CT27v, but the C1, C11, C4000 & 4000t can be taken far beyond new in box status. I have an upgraded C1 and an upgraded 4000t. They are both nothing short of phenomenal. 

• That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, tpoppa said:

Where did you have your gear refreshed?  What did you have done?

I've had 4 M500t's refreshed/upgraded to mkII. I've had 2 M1.0t's upgraded to mkII opt 002. Details on the amp upgrades are available here: carvermk2.com .

The C1 got the BillD upgrade along with the Gundry notch, IEC power cord, and remote volume control. The 4000t got the equivalent of the BillD mod, Gundry notch, IEC power cord, Bonzoro's EZ Gain board, and whatever magic Bonzoro does to the power supply.  All of the mods have been done by techs here. Daddyjt, Nahash5150, Bonzoro,  and dennismiller1955.  There is no wrong choice here with choosing a rech to do the work.

The BillD mod is well documented on site. Search for "Building a better C1".

I hope that helps.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin
8 hours ago, tpoppa said:

Where did you have your gear refreshed?  What did you have done?

Welcome @tpoppa.  You found the right place.  And OCCD will infect you.

Hang around here, and you'll find a lot of technical knowledge, and several people that can do refreshes.  Some already named, others out on winter vacation...  

Glad you found us.

Post some pictures of that rig, when you get a chance.

• Thank You 2

Welcome.jpg.e04f383451aa4b5163af41ab8300e4f5.jpg

Welcome to the group!  Nice systems, and a really nice job on that cabinet!  

There's clearly no point in warning you of the OCCD perils - you passed the point of no return, long ago!  :D

It's nice to know how solid your systems have been.  The good news is that should there be a need, there is a wealth of technical knowledge here to help, and if some thing should be beyond you, there are folks who an definitely fix, repair, update or modify most things Carver, and beyond, among us (myself excluded -i'm forbidden from using soldering irons for good reason! :$).

For now, join in the fun, and enjoy the music!

• That Rocks 2