ALBUM OF THE WEEK (TO CRITIQUE)

kve777

Since we have 52 weeks in a year, let's start off 2021 with a new Carver Site! feature. A different album to listen to and critique for a week. Alphabetically by album title. First week of 2021 will be Steely Dan's 'Aja'. I think we all know it (or of it). Let's dive in and say what we like or don't like about this classic. Starts 01/01/2021. Not now. 

Lets get some things in order first. Like what will be the other A? Or the first B? I'm reserving the first D to be DSOTM. Just sayin'. I'd really like to have some diversity here, get everyone to listen to an old favorite in a new way or be introduced to a new favorite. 

Let's hear some suggestions! Remember- it's alphabetical, by album name. We need two of each letter for 2021. Zoot Allures comes to mind for a Z. You get the idea. 

Each one gets to be featured for a week, discuss it to death, then move on. Cool?

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1

24 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Blow by Blow, Jeff Beck?

I think when we post our thoughts, we should indicate which version we are listening to (CD, SACD, Vinyl, etc)

great idea Kevin!

Different versions? Sure! That will be a big part. Blow by Blow works awesome for the first B. 

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

1 hour ago, RodH said:

So.. I'm the only one seeing the 2021 part? Is it Covid brain? Do I have a parasite?  Damn.....

Yup. Rod you time warped right past Christmas.  :D

• Haha 2

If everything goes right - the Album will be accessible on the 'Now Playing' application for that week. Previous weeks will still be accessible by going to the 'Archive' folder in the player application.

So everyone will be able to listen to the album of the week live, right here on the site.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 6

3 hours ago, kve777 said:

More suggestions, please.

I didn’t want to be a hog, but here are a couple of my favorites:

E - Eleven Eleven, Dave Alvin. Great rock/country mix.

F - Fair Warning, Van Halen. The absolute best Van Halen from a pure rock perspective, in my humble opinion. 

L - Love Over Gold, Dire Straits. My new reference go-to. 

R - Rumors, Fleetwood Mac. My old reference go-to. 

• Thank You 2

Excellent choice for the first album. AJA is my album of choice when listening to a new piece of gear.  When I read the title of the thread, my first thought was this album and had to chuckle when that was the choice.  I prefer vinyl but have it on CD Also

AJA:

Peg - "Done up in blueprint blue" got my attention. Being a Landscape Architecture student studying design made me think....i know that color. Listening to that record began my conversion from a rock-only guy to a jazz guy.

When i wasnt working, drinking, studying or chasing tail, i used to hang out in the local stereo shops jawing with the guys who worked there. They all knew that i had no money but when the store was empty they liked the company and obliged my requests to enter the "high-end" room. After a couple visits i showed up with some beer and our relationship was cemented. 

It was at that point that i learned about jazz because they did not play rock and my tastes and awareness changed. They played old, main stream and fusion jazz. 

AJA arrived and they played it. So did the Indy stations and along with their other alternative music shaped my tastes. Apparently AJA was a breakthrough at the time and i have gone through the stages of being enthralled with it, burned out with it to liking to listen to it at high volumes occasionally. It is an exciting record that i never expected from Steely Dan. Being a design minimalist, i like the jacket design.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:25 AM, kve777 said:

More suggestions, please.

ZZ Top’s first album for an F.  That’s the best grade I can get these days. 😂

Edited by Rob
  • That Rocks 2
  • Haha 1