New Member from Pa

Hello Everyone,

I recently retired, have many hobbies, and enjoy electronics in the winter. Over the last couple of months, I restored a few vintage power amplifiers from the 70's.  I created an account on this site because I own a Sunfire subwoofer since the late 90's which is still working today, just purchased a dead one, and since I've been able to get it working, I will be doing a full restoration.  I figured that it is time for me to share any knowledge or info that may be helpful for others and have just started doing so on other forums.

Thanks,

Bob

• Thank You 10
  • That Rocks 4

Welcome Bob and congrats on the retirement. Something I am looking forward to myself. Lots of great people here to help with anything you are trying to restore. How much snow did you get? ~^ Not much here in lower Michigan. 

Glad you found us and enjoy. 

Fotolia_9058674_XS.jpg

Hello Bob, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. I look forward to you joining our crew!

We have many how-to topics. Feel free to check out as many of them as you like.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

Welcome.jpg.adbb981069b1baa67b0576c74dd5a02f.jpg

Welcome to the site, and on having recently been able to retire!  Knowing your way to fix up Sunfire subs certainly puts you in a great place to fit in here!  There is a wealth of knowledge, here, but always room for more and for sharing.  We certainly are not exclusive to gear within the Carver realm, so don't feel restricted to sharing info, or asking about other equipment.  :D

Join in the banter and conversations, while you are trying to stay warm for the winter, and take time to enjoy the music!

• Thank You 2

Welcome @bob-05! And thanks for your knowledge of the Sunfire subs! Be sure to post any projects you work on in the appropriate area for all to see. We enjoy nudies of all kinds of gear too! Glad you joined us.......grin

Not sure where to put the information, but I will post it if there is interest.

As I mentioned before , I have an original true subwoofer that is still working fine and will restore that one once I am done with the MK2 that I just bought.  All that the MK2 needed was a few capacitors in 13v power supply area replaced. One actually detached from one of its leads , I am assuming from the vibration that it is subjected to.  Non of mine were glued down.  I statically tested all of the semi conductors , then brought her up with dim bulb and variac , then full line power.  It can deliver about 625 watts into a 4 ohm resistive load , if pushed harder it blows the AC line fuse.  I have started to document the circuits , (voltages , waveforms , clock signals, etc.) and in doing so I found some things that look a little "off" to me (even though, sound wise- it sounds fine).  I will finish documenting , then I will replace all of the remaining electrolytic one at a time noting any changes to the circuit behavior as I go. 

If there is any interest it my findings , I will post the document once completed. 

Thanks,

Bob

• That Rocks 2

Welcome Bob!

I am in Baltimore, good to see another mid Atlantic member!  I have family in Philadelphia and south Jersey.  Sometimes a few CS members get  together for meets sometimes in New Jersey or Washington DC area.  I am also retired and work part time!

Enjoy the site, and as always enjoy the music!

Barry

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:18 AM, bob-05 said:

Not sure where to put the information, but I will post it if there is interest.

There will be interest, and if unsure where it belongs, just ask. :) 

• That Rocks 1