New from Winthrop, Maine

I have long been a Hi Fi aficionado living in the Boston area. Starting way back, post college with Harman Kardon components, and a  Janszen speaker system with a big woofer and 2 electrostatic tweeters. Stereo, of course. Over time I worked up through a McIntosh amp and preamp-vacuum tube, but kept the old speakers, because they were good. Graduated further to a Bryston 1B preamp and a Bryston 4b  amp, and Snell Acoustics Type A speakers. Denon turntable and Denon tuner. Graduated to Carver TX-11 FM tuner. Ultimately phased out of Vinyl, and went to CD's - Rotel RCD-971. Sold turntable and a Nachamici tape system I never used.

Moved to Maine with fewer FM stations, and farther away than the ones in Boston. Carver TX-11 worked fine, until it didn't (That will be discussed in a later post. I got a Rotel RDG-1520 with a poor FM tuner. Not really useful even with a good FM antenna. Got a new vehicle with SiriusXM. Subscribed to that and it worked well in car. Got it set up through my computer and SONOS so I could listen to it on the HI Fi set. Listen to the classical and opera channels.

I fired up the Carver the other day, and it pulled in FM stations that the Rotel couldn't. Still had it's old failure mode, though. Worked fine, then quit-no sound display showing 0.01, no buttons working. Thought I might try to fix it. That will be another post, with questions.

Well I have rambled on long enough. Note that I was also a hiker and mountain climber, and am now a road biker. Training in the winter on a Zwift system with a Wahoo Kicker system controlled by my computer. Can really get a good workout.

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 4

WELCOME @reedm! Interesting introduction.

Good luck getting that TX-11 working again. 

Plenty of help here on repairs, either ask questions if

doing the repair yourself or contact one of our very

capable repair techs. Enjoy the site.|-|

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Hello reedm, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

Welcome @reedm! Glad to have you on the Carver train with us. With the OCCD engine that drives all of us to our audio destination, we hope you will enjoy the ride with us. The techs here can help you fix your gear or repair it for you.......grin

• Community Admin

Welcome @reedm  Great story..., and we want pictures !

That limited description of your TX-11 sounds familiar..., someone here will chime in, I'm sure.  

I had a similar problem that was corrected by replacing the trimmer.  I'm not a qualified tech..., so don't take this as truth and complete truth..., until someone else pipes in with more questions and has a better answer.

Here's a link to a source for that trimmer - Les is a member here @Circuits & Concepts and has an ebay store:  https://www.ebay.com/str/circuitsandconcepts 

the trimmer and IC kit:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/TC9147BP-IC-Trim-Cap-to-repair-CARVER-MXR-RECEIVER-TX-2-TX-11-Tuner-TC9147/320782576545 

Post some more about your tuner symptoms..., so a real tech can chime in!

• Thank You 2

Welcome.jpg.1bae35ba6be35e63af99bdb8a36005b0.jpg

A slightly belated welcome to the group!  This is definitely the right place to come to get advice on your Carver tuner, and I see there are already some good suggestions listed.

Sounds like quite the journey through various systems on your way to winding up in Maine.  Do beware that if you hang around, here for any length of time, you stand to get bitten by the OCCD bug, and that tuner will start to breed into other Carver components before you even realise what's happening.

In any case, make sure you take time to enjoy the music, and Welcome again!

• Thank You 1