NEWB from Wilmington, NC

Howdy all,

Well, what brought me here you might ask? So, last Friday afternoon I dragged my Wife, Daughter, and Morkie to Raleigh for a little road trip to pick up a TFM-35 for a reasonable price. Ad said "fully serviced and questionable components replaced". I have been looking for a Carver amp to power my other recent project, Polk 2.3's (They are in rehab right now, but will be singing better than new when I get my crossover parts). Back to the Carver...when I arrived back home, like any level headed tinkerer, I opened her up in excitement to view the " fully serviced" handywork. To my surprise, I could not find evidence of any replaced parts!! Not a Nichicon or Panny cap in sight, stock Marcon PS  Caps staring back at me. Without hesitation, I texted the seller, sent pictures and stated my case on his misrepresentation. Long story short, he contacted his tech who supposedly serviced the unit last year (for $300 he says), said the guy remembers cleaning, replacing lamps, and a few out of spec components. Fortunately for me, the seller was apologetic and agreed to a partial refund! Oh, yes, the amp does indeed work.

Satisfied with this purchase now, I crept on here to pick your collective brains.  I will be replacing all caps, and may ask for suggestions on other suggested component replacements or mods as well.

As for me, retired high school Tech Ed teacher (Drafting, CAD, Electronics, EV conversions), community college mechanical engineering instructor. Now in second career as engineer at a world class white noise sound machine company.

My hobbies are: Audio and electronics tinkering, my 1961 VW Bug EV, mountain and road biking, electric dirt biking, fixing most anything, Handgun target practicing, drones, kayaking, building stuff, sports etc.

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

Hello kickngas, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I'm glad to hear your deal was with an honest seller that made the deal right.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Hi, and welcome to the best site on the net for Carver enthusiasts!  I'm sure you'll enjoy the TFM35.  Its a great sounding amp.

I grew up enjoying summers at Wrightsville Beach.  (If you need a great haircut my sister has a salon in Wilmington.)

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the forum!

I am also a retired math / physics teacher!

I work mostly as a sub, but not during these covid days as school is virtual!

Welcome to the site, lots of technical details throughout these pages!  Have fun!

Barry

• Thank You 1

53 minutes ago, iamjohngalt said:

Hi, and welcome to the best site on the net for Carver enthusiasts!  I'm sure you'll enjoy the TFM35.  Its a great sounding amp.

I grew up enjoying summers at Wrightsville Beach.  (If you need a great haircut my sister has a salon in Wilmington.)

Small world. Wrightsville Beach is about 10 minutes from me.  If I had enough hair to cut, I would get her salon name! Funny, your TFM-35 was on my short list until  you, or someone from your company, notified me that it had been sold.

6 minutes ago, BarryG said:

Welcome to the forum!

I am also a retired math / physics teacher!

I work mostly as a sub, but not during these covid days as school is virtual!

Welcome to the site, lots of technical details throughout these pages!  Have fun!

Barry

Nothing like being a teacher...I miss it.  I was all geared up to sub because of the flexibility and lack of responsibility 😉, but this engineering job was too good to pass up!  I'll retire from this in a few years when my Wife retires from teaching.

• Thank You 1

Welcome.jpg.d1252b6d79040712cbf0b21b67e92c10.jpg

A somewhat belated Welcome to the group!  Nice acquisition (the '35), especially for someone with enough electronics knowledge to know which end of the soldering iron to grab hold of!

You'll find there are plenty of folks here who can help guide you and give direction on what to update, or what to repair if things go awry, and in the worst case, there are some who are able to fix all but the very worst disasters.

We're glad you decided to "creep on" to the site!  Feel free to ask questions and join in the fun.

Remember to take time to enjoy the music and Welcome once, again!

• Thank You 1