Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lads, I've bought Energy Speakers

Its been something like a month since I've shelled out the hard-earned for any audio gear. I decided to correct that. A 90 minute round trip and a bunch of green paper I had scattered about Schloss Butcher turned into a pair of nice-looking Energy "Reference Connoisseur" RC-30 mini-towers, and a very heavy small sub, the Energy Microstar (I forget the model number). 

The speakers say "designed and engineered in Canada" which translates to "Made in China" as far as I know. They actually sound good. The highs are clean but not as silky as what I'd like, and there's an artificial bass bump done no doubt through artful cabinet design and port arrangement. The finish is top shelf though, and I look forward to pulling the crossovers out and seeing what cheap parts I can replace to give these a little more information to work with. 

I haven't had the opportunity to toy with the subwoofer, for the silliest reason - I'm out of cables. I've actually had to order half a dozen pair of hookups and more speaker wire. Its actually gotten to that point. And I started out with a veritable bucket full of both. I should have that in service by the end of the week, and I'm looking forward to seeing what that 1500 watt box can do for various sets of speakers I have around here. 

Next up: the battle begins as I try to talk one of my cohort out of his Infinity Kappa 9 towers. Because apparently I want to try blowing up some amplifiers. 

Edited by Butcher
  • That Rocks 2
  • Butcher changed the title to Lads, I've bought Energy Speakers
10 hours ago, Butcher said:

Next up: the battle begins as I try to talk one of my cohort out of his Infinity Kappa 9 towers. Because apparently I want to try blowing up some amplifiers. 

This interest in infinity Kappa 9's may pass...,   I searched for years, nothing near me..., now I'm off the train, jumped over to the Golden Ear speaker train..., I want to try those 😉 worse than I did want to try the Kappa 9's.

• Haha 2

I may or may not pursue the Kappas (Kappae?). I understand they are some kind of evil spirit that occasionally require a sacrifice in the form of an otherwise healthy amplifier. I've labored too hard at my collection to jeopardize any of it. I also just learned he has had the midrange drivers replaced. No surprise, but its uncommonly hard to find a proper replacement. There are lookalike driver candidates, to be certain, but they don't present the same inductive load or some such arcane thing. 

Instead I may take a journey down a road I've never traveled, and that's into tube country. If I do so, I shall be contemplating full range speakers, both enclosed and IB. I may even get into some of the esoteric designs from people like Siegfried Linkwitz-Riley and Nelson Pass. I've spent these past few decades driving inefficient speakers with a small town's Christmas display worth of power, and I've often wondered about the environment at the opposite end: extremely high-efficiency loudspeakers with very clean, high current but low wattage amplification.  SL-R, basically audio's version of Gandalf the White, did a very unique design one can manufacture at home out of PVC and a pair of quality drivers. Slim, light, and with less than a square foot of floor space per unit, It looks tailor-made for my lab, which is in service but a few months following its rough completion and already chafing at its training pants for room. 

Behold:

image.png.bb8928cf7881278734767c609671a032.png

Most of that can be bought at a plumbing store. Notice, if you will, that the mid-bass driver is sealed with a rubber plumbing couplet and a pair of metal ties.  I like how this man thinks. 

• That Rocks 1

Interesting. First- I've had the 9 Kappas of which you speak. Rubbish. Move along. Save your green paper. 

Second. I think you will find after you replace the crossover bits, you will no doubt be inclined to upgrade the drivers, which will induce you to upgrade the cabinets. If the end result looks suspiciously like Snell C-IV's, you've done it just right! Congrats!

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Third- Tube country. Our country is kind of full at the moment, not looking to admit foreigners. There are just so many tube amps and tubes to heat our homes, not many spares. Best you stay in Sand Land. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kve777 said:

Interesting. First- I've had the 9 Kappas of which you speak. Rubbish. Move along. Save your green paper. 

You bought the 9 Kappas instead of the Kappa 9? The former are just a cheap knockoff of the original, and shouldn't be considered in the same breath. They were more like 2.5 Kappas and not one Iota of quality. So there. 

6 minutes ago, kve777 said:

Second. I think you will find after you replace the crossover bits, you will no doubt be inclined to upgrade the drivers, which will induce you to upgrade the cabinets. If the end result looks suspiciously like Snell C-IV's, you've done it just right! Congrats!

I would prefer they looked like pre-UniQ KEF 107, or perhaps B&W 801s. Snell? Is that when you start out with a sneer, but then relax into a smile ?

2 minutes ago, kve777 said:

Third- Tube country. Our country is kind of full at the moment, not looking to admit foreigners. There are just so many tube amps and tubes to heat our homes, not many spares. Best you stay in Sand Land. 

Bloody hell, now I know what it feels like to be a Jimmy Grant. How do I apply for a Visa, or MasterCard or whatever you use there?

• Thank You 1
2 minutes ago, Butcher said:

You bought the 9 Kappas instead of the Kappa 9? The former are just a cheap knockoff of the original, and shouldn't be considered in the same breath. They were more like 2.5 Kappas and not one Iota of quality. So there. 

I would prefer they looked like pre-UniQ KEF 107, or perhaps B&W 801s. Snell? Is that when you start out with a sneer, but then relax into a smile ?

Bloody hell, now I know what it feels like to be a Jimmy Grant. How do I apply for a Visa, or MasterCard or whatever you use there?

"INFINITY RS 9 KAPPA" look it up. Not Kappa 9. Those are the knock offs!

Snell. Best kept American Speaker Secret. Google them. 

It's actually a secret knock. Take a large hammer and knock yourself in the bank account. 

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, kve777 said:

"INFINITY RS 9 KAPPA" look it up. Not Kappa 9. Those are the knock offs!

Humor aside, I have never heard them referred to by that term. Now I look that up and I see an actual factory data sheet with that across the top. 

I don't know whether to be happy I learned something or chagrined that I had something to learn. 

This will require a flagon and deep contemplation. 

Snell. Best kept American Speaker Secret. Google them. 

I know them. We didn't sell them - we had no room for any more lines - but they're respected. Out of production now, though, yes?

It's actually a secret knock. Take a large hammer and knock yourself in the bank account. 

Indeed. 

image.png.3e36f48fe1394db731d43189291542b6.png

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Butcher said:

I don't know whether to be happy I learned something or chagrined that I had something to learn. 

I know them. We didn't sell them - we had no room for any more lines - but they're respected. Out of production now, though, yes?

Once you have original manuals in your mitts, it's hard to forget.

Yes, Peter Snell passed away in 1984. He was the core of the company. 

• Thank You 3
1 hour ago, Butcher said:

SL-R, basically audio's version of Gandalf the White, did a very unique design one can manufacture at home out of PVC and a pair of quality drivers. Slim, light, and with less than a square foot of floor space per unit, It looks tailor-made for my lab, which is in service but a few months following its rough completion and already chafing at its training pants for room. 

Behold:

image.png.bb8928cf7881278734767c609671a032.png

Most of that can be bought at a plumbing store. Notice, if you will, that the mid-bass driver is sealed with a rubber plumbing couplet and a pair of metal ties.  I like h

Those look like the Linkwitz Labs open baffle, dipole speakers. I've been tempted to build a pair many times, but don't want to spend the time, money, and effort without auditioning a pair first. We already know the perils of buying audio gear based on the adjectives of others.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

Those look like the Linkwitz Labs open baffle, dipole speakers. I've been tempted to build a pair many times, but don't want to spend the time, money, and effort without auditioning a pair first. We already know the perils of buying audio gear based on the adjectives of others.

As long as they're musical and they make my system sound like a veil has been lifted, without being sterile, I'll be satisfied. 

• Haha 3